Unhappy with firmware update

jennapi

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
I bought my Galaxy tablet in July and I absolutely loved it. After a few weeks I got a notice of a firmware update, which I only just installed today. I absolutely hate it. Samsung made some pretty drastic changes to the skin. The notifications is now white and takes up the whole screen when you pull it down, the out-of-the-box live wallpaper I was using has disappeared altogether, and it looks like the text and icons are bigger now. It's really frustrating. I've spent the whole night messing with launch screens, but it's not fixing all the issues I have with the redesign.

Will a factory reset get rid of the update? I'm a bit loathe to just try it, since it will delete everything off the device, and because I've been happy with the previous update that brought Hangouts onto my phone (which did not come pre-loaded). If I manage to undo this update, will I be able to reinstate old ones? Or should I just suck it up and deal with my now incredibly ugly tablet?

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Galaxy tablet in July and I absolutely loved it. After a few weeks I got a notice of a firmware update, which I only just installed today. I absolutely hate it. Samsung made some pretty drastic changes to the skin. The notifications is now white and takes up the whole screen when you pull it down, the out-of-the-box live wallpaper I was using has disappeared altogether, and it looks like the text and icons are bigger now. It's really frustrating. I've spent the whole night messing with launch screens, but it's not fixing all the issues I have with the redesign.

Will a factory reset get rid of the update? I'm a bit loathe to just try it, since it will delete everything off the device, and because I've been happy with the previous update that brought Hangouts onto my phone (which did not come pre-loaded). If I manage to undo this update, will I be able to reinstate old ones? Or should I just suck it up and deal with my now incredibly ugly tablet?

Welcome to the forums!
A reset will NOT bring you back to your old firmware. But I would suggest this. You can try installing a different launcher like Nova or Action. Those allow you to make changes to the device that the stock launcher won't let you do.
Now, when you do this, you may lose some widgets. On my S3 I lost the Accuweather widget, because it was tied to the stock launcher, but after a while, I didn't care.
Guide for Nova: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/299378-guide-nova-launcher.html
Guide for Action: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...15-guide-action-launcher-updated-1-9-0-a.html

jennapi

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to the forums!
A reset will NOT bring you back to your old firmware. But I would suggest this. You can try installing a different launcher like Nova or Action. Those allow you to make changes to the device that the stock launcher won't let you do.
Now, when you do this, you may lose some widgets. On my S3 I lost the Accuweather widget, because it was tied to the stock launcher, but after a while, I didn't care.
Guide for Nova: http://forums.androidcentral.com/ambassador-guides-tips-how-tos/299378-guide-nova-launcher.html
Guide for Action: http://forums.androidcentral.com/am...15-guide-action-launcher-updated-1-9-0-a.html

Oh wow, thanks for responding so quickly. When I said I was messing around with launch screens, I actually meant launchers--I'd actually already tried Nova. Does anyone happen to know of any launchers that change the notifications panel? None of the ones I tried changed that, and it's one of the most frustrating changes that's been made.

Also, does this happen often, where Samsung just scrambles their skin?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Oh wow, thanks for responding so quickly. When I said I was messing around with launch screens, I actually meant launchers--I'd actually already tried Nova. Does anyone happen to know of any launchers that change the notifications panel? None of the ones I tried changed that, and it's one of the most frustrating changes that's been made.

Also, does this happen often, where Samsung just scrambles their skin?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. To my knowledge, no launcher can change the drawer.
And Samsung normally doesn't make a radical change like this.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Darin Gallagher

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

It was a bit of a shock to me too. It took some getting use to. I am using Nova Launcher now, as it is big-time customizable. As for your live wallpaper, try searching for it in the Play Store. It may be in there.

Sent from my GT-P3113 4.2.2

Posted via Android Central App

jennapi

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Sorry for the misunderstanding. To my knowledge, no launcher can change the drawer.
And Samsung normally doesn't make a radical change like this.
Bummer. At least it shouldn't be too much of a repeat thing?

It was a bit of a shock to me too. It took some getting use to. I am using Nova Launcher now, as it is big-time customizable. As for your live wallpaper, try searching for it in the Play Store. It may be in there.
Wasn't it shocking? And it's such a downgrade appearance-wise. I actually found a before shot that I was going to post to give a comparison, so I might as well
Before
245wt2x.png
After
Screenshot_2013-09-21-07-32-26.png
Like, who would do that?? I did manage to find my background in the play store, so that was at least nice. Are you having issues with your battery? I feel like mine is dying really quickly these past two days.

Nova launcher or other launchers make your system very slow. Google how to root your device... then you can flash a custom ROM.
I'd had that idea, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am rooting it. My friend had some issues with a rooted phone, so I was hoping for another solution. Might look into it though if I feel like I can't get used to the new look.

Last edited:

Darin Gallagher

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Bummer. At least it shouldn't be too much of a repeat thing?

Wasn't it shocking? And it's such a downgrade appearance-wise. I actually found a before shot that I was going to post to give a comparison, so I might as well
Before
View attachment 82528
After
View attachment 82532
Like, who would do that?? I did manage to find my background in the play store, so that was at least nice. Are you having issues with your battery? I feel like mine is dying really quickly these past two days.

I'd had that idea, but I'm not sure how comfortable I am rooting it. My friend had some issues with a rooted phone, so I was hoping for another solution. Might look into it though if I feel like I can't get used to the new look.

Yes, my battery seems to drain pretty quickly. It doesn't help that i am on it all the time either. I'm glad you found your background. That may have a bit to do with some battery drain. Live wallpapers will since they are basically running all the time. All in all, I like the update. I have had it for a good month now. I have gotten used to all the new "bells and whistles." The only real problem I have is Netflix skipping and buffering all the time, which it never did before the update. Hope you have good luck with yours.

Darin Gallagher

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Also, your brigtness has a lot to do with battery draining. A lot of battery saving apps tell you to put it on auto, but, in my opinion is a pain. In dim light, it goes dim too and you can barely see the screen. I try to keep mine at midway or lower. It doesn't drain quite as quick. Hope that helps with your battery issue.

jennapi

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
In regards to the battery, I meant that it drains fast with respect to how it was before. I've always used a live background, and I don't usually have the screen that bright. In fact, I'd say I use it less than I did in the past. Just sitting unused with the screen off for a few hours is having a significant impact. I did leave it plugged into the charger all day by accident--could I have damaged the battery by doing that?

Golfdriver97

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
In regards to the battery, I meant that it drains fast with respect to how it was before. I've always used a live background, and I don't usually have the screen that bright. In fact, I'd say I use it less than I did in the past. Just sitting unused with the screen off for a few hours is having a significant impact. I did leave it plugged into the charger all day by accident--could I have damaged the battery by doing that?

Just once, doubtful. You would do more damage to it by completely draining it every day.

Sent from a Slim 4.3 S3

Darin Gallagher

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site

I see. It is pretty ridiculous that the battery drains from lack of use.

teelee10993

Sep 24, 2013
Visit site
When I first received the update, I did do a factory reset only to find it didn't do anything. I do not like this update and am very disappointed. I liked my screenshot button it was easy and convenient. Now it is so awkward trying to hold down the volume and power keys. It doesn't work half of the time that I try to do it. I don't like the way my tablet looks. I'm so dissapointed and wish I never updated.

Mark Kreutsberg

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Ever since this update I can't turn my tablet off (it just turns itself back on) and the tablet runs really slow. I mean 5 times slower than before the update. I may have to root and get a custom rom on this thing so I can go back to an old version, unless Samsung fixes this mess they created.

Darin Gallagher

Aug 18, 2013
Visit site
Ever since this update I can't turn my tablet off (it just turns itself back on) and the tablet runs really slow. I mean 5 times slower than before the update. I may have to root and get a custom rom on this thing so I can go back to an old version, unless Samsung fixes this mess they created.

For some reason, I don't see Samsung doing that. Stranger things have happened, though.

techydavid

Sep 29, 2012
Visit site

As I have said all over these forums, SAMSUNG NEVER MADE A STABLE ROM FOR THIS DEVICE. the objective of it is to scam people out of their wallets and then make them pay more for something STABLE. Yeah custom ROM is only choice if you don't want to go insane using this thing.

Posted via my weird GT-P3113

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maximusdebois