No wireless authentication

Caravelle

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
As from being switched on this morning after a charge my Tab 2 (GT-P3110) will not connect to my home wireless network. It keeps saying there is an authentication problem and prompting me for the password, which I have typed in dozens of times just to get the same response. It normally connects quickly without prompting for anything.

The problem is not my network, or the password, as I have another android device which does connect using the same password, as well as a Windows laptop.

The Tab 2 detects several other protected networks within range (my neighbours !) but I can't connect to any for test purposes for obvious reasons. There aren't any open networks.

Does anyone have any (good) advice please ?

Caravelle

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
As from being switched on this morning after a charge my Tab 2 (GT-P3110) will not connect to my home wireless network. It keeps saying there is an authentication problem and prompting me for the password, which I have typed in dozens of times just to get the same response. It normally connects quickly without prompting for anything.

The problem is not my network, or the password, as I have another android device which does connect using the same password, as well as a Windows laptop.

The Tab 2 detects several other protected networks within range (my neighbours !) but I can't connect to any for test purposes for obvious reasons. There aren't any open networks.

Does anyone have any (good) advice please ?

Caravelle

Welcome to the forums.
I would try rebooting into recovery and clearing the system cache. See if that helps. http://forums.androidcentral.com/sa...ing-into-recovery-mode-galaxy-s2-s3-tab2.html

Caravelle

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
I would try rebooting into recovery and clearing the system cache. See if that helps. [Guide] Rebooting into Recovery Mode for the Galaxy S2, S3, and Tab2.

Thanks for this. I have tried twice, the Tab 2 shows the "Erasing..." screen then flashes "ERROR!" and eventually the Tab starts up in normal mode. And still my wi-fi is not authenticated.

Everything else that's not dependent on an internet connection still seems to work.

I am a little concerned that if I try a hard reset and it doesn't work I shall be in a worse situation than before, as I shall have lost my programs etc and won't be able to re-download them without the wifi. Is there any way of backing everything up to, for example, a USB drive (I have a working adaptor) ? I could simply use one of my equivalents of Windows "My Computer" to transfer files, but the Android file system baffles me, I don't know what to copy over.

Many thanks again

Caravelle

v1v14n

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
You can make your other android device a wi-fi hotspot and try connecting your tab to see if it connects.

As far as backing up is concerned, if you are rooted you can try installing titanium back up an apk file since u cant connect through wi-fi, it would back up all your apps along with its data. For videos/music/photos/contacts/messages/call logs you can use KIES.

Sent from my GT-P3100

Caravelle

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
You can make your other android device a wi-fi hotspot and try connecting your tab to see if it connects.

Thanks. My Asus TF101 now thinks it is a wireless hotspot with password and everything. The Samsung Galaxy Tab will find it and link to it. The only snag is that on the TF101, when the hotspot is switched on the wireless connection to my router is automatically switched off, and vice versa. I can't imagine what the point of that is, the fact that the Tab is connected to the Asus doesn't seem to add any functionality to either, quite the reverse.

My Tab is not rooted. I'm not at all bothered about photos etc, I always save stuff I want to keep to the 64 gig micro-SD card in the slot or on Dropbox. My gmail is all online and can be got at any which way. But I do want to carry on using the programs I downloaded even if I can't connect to the internet.

Caravelle

v1v14n

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
If the tab gets connected to the other device, it doesn't seem there is an issue with the tabs wifi connection, even hard resetting the tab might not work, but I may be wrong. You can try resetting your network connection and try to connect it as a last option before hard reset.

I cant think of any app that can back up your app data if you are not rooted. There are many apps which would back up the apk/installation file of the apps on your tab, you wont need to download the app again just restore the app,you would lose all your apps data/settings/accounts if any. The one I use is Smart back up, you will have to install the app on your tab and back up your apps to your SD card.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.idea.backup.smscontacts

Sent from my GT-P3100

Caravelle

Jul 4, 2014
Visit site
You can try resetting your network connection and try to connect it

How do I "reset" the connection? Do you mean "forget" it and then try connecting by typing in the password ? Won't work, I've tried it 5 times a day for the last week.

I cant think of any app that can back up your app data if you are not rooted.

As I said, I put all important data in external storage; I'm not worried about data. Since the backup is only needed in case I can't ever connect to the internet with this device, then apps which have accounts wouldn't be worth restoring, would they ? Settings are easily reset. Anyway, it would seem that "Helium" (previously "Carbon") will back up apps on non-rooted devices - once you work out how to install it.

How about a bluetooth connection from Tab to Asus - can the Tab download through the Asus using its working wi-fi ? I've had a few goes at bluetooth over the years and always given up in frustration - maybe it's more reliable now.

Caravelle

Caravelle

v1v14n

Jul 1, 2014
Visit site
By reset network connection I meant your wifi connection/ settings of the wifi router or whatever you use for wifi not the tab.

If you want to install it on your tab, you can search for the Helium apk file and transfer it to your tab and install it. Another way is to install the Helium app from the playstore on your ASUS device and transfer the apk file via bluetooth through another app Myappsharer to your tab. That way you can back up everything you need and hard reset your tab.

Sent from my GT-P3100

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tgksnow