Ready to upgrade bit I want OTG and HDMI

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
I have a Tab-2 7" and ready to upgrade! The Tab 2 has OTG connection on the 20 pin port but does not have HDMI output. The more I look on the internet the more I am confused! The amount of misinformation is really confusing. Part of the problems is advertisers that say their OTG adapter or HDMI adapter will work on certain tablets that do not support these adapters. Samsung is even confused about which tablets support what! I talked to their tech support twice, more confusing. The owners manuals do not even discuss either of these modes. The Tab-3 does not support OTG and the Tab-4 does not support HDMI so I am looking for something else!

I like the 7" size tablet because it is big enough to read and small enough to be portable and you can hold it in one hand! I would be willing to go to an 8" tablet if it had BOTH OTG and HDMI support.

Anyone have any suggestions for a new tablet that supports both OTG and HDMI?

In case you are wondering, OTG means On-The-Go system that lets a device connect to a mouse, keyboard or external memory like a thumb drive!
HDMI is a port on your tablet that lets you connect to a television and play movies directly with a simple cable. The Micro USB jack on an S-4 or Tab-3 and Tab-4 is actually an 11 pin jack that has additional pins to input and output connections.

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
All newer devices support OTG. If you're willing to give up Samsung, the Nexus 7 supports Chromecast. (You can buy the device for $25 if you look around.) That's full screen mirroring and wireless. (Although a phone in portrait orientation looks funny on a 16:9 TV screen - the outer 2/3 of the screen - a band on each side - is black, with thee phone screen in the middle third. But that's what you'll see no matter how you mirror the screen.) The Samsung Note 10 supports it, but it's larger than you want. The LG G Pad 8.3 Google Play edition supports it. The Sony Xperia Z3 Tablet Compact is 8". The Sony Xperia Z2 Tablet is 10".

So there are a few choices that don't depend on having the right connector. And being wireless is nice - you can turn around with the tablet in your hands without having it ripped out of your hands or having the cable ripped out of the tablet. You can even move around the room. AND you can use OTG while you're mirroring the screen to the TV, which you can't do with a wired MHL connection.

extraclass

Feb 13, 2011
Visit site
Most newer devices do not support OTG but I found one that Supports OTG and HDMI! The Galaxy tab 3-8" SM-T310 version supports both!
For a list of OTG compatible Tablets and Phones check out this link. Some of the bigger tablets support both but I wanted to stay with the 7"-8" format. I find the larger tablets difficult to hold and transport! I can put my 8" in my back pocket and go!

OTG (On-The-Go) Compatibility | Integral Memory

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463