Samsung Tab 3 8.0 vs Nexus 7 2nd Gen

SiBlackwell

Jul 2, 2013
Visit site
Some really interesting insights on this thread. I'm all over the place on this. I have a Nexus 5 (awesome!!) so the 7 was an obvious choice to replace the iPad Mini my wife and daughter seem to have pinched from me! I spent a week going in to my local retailer to have a play and every time came away with the feeling that 7 inches is just not big enough. I had a full sized iPad once and hated it and the Mini at 8 inches has felt bang on the money for the last year. I want Android as my second tablet though. At 8 inches there isn't much to consider. The LG G Pad seems the obvious one and if I were selling my iPad Mini I would do it, but at ?240 it's too much money for me this time around. The Samsung seems a good compromise but I read a ton of reviews about poor performance due to it only being dual core, so I wrote off the idea. Reading this thread makes me feel that I should reconsider. God knows. I wish Google would bring out an 8 inch Asus Nexus then all would be well!

Posted via Android Central App

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
I already had a galaxy S4 and a tab 2 10.1 so didn't want to overdo. Sammy as much as I love them. That's why I got a nexus 7. The N7 is very simple compared to my tab 2 and faster, it also runs kit kat. However I think the tab 8 has more advantages such as expandable memory, S window and better stock apps. It also has a bigger screen. Again I also have an iPad mini so already had an 8 inch tablet. The nexus 7 had more to offer me based on the devices I already had, but if you exclude all of that the tab 3 is the better all round device Imo.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

shanghaichica

Aug 17, 2013
Visit site
Brosko

The folks who own these forums are in love with the Nexus 7 and pretty much anything Google does. Notice the the Tab 3 line is not even mentioned in their " Buying an Android during the holidays", yet my local Costco sold out every Tab 3 7, 8 and 10.1 model they had in stock a week before Christmas. Too funny

I have a nexus 7 and I think it's pretty good but I get annoyed at all the love the tech sites give the nexus devices, and this year the HTC One. They seem to want to slag off Samsung at every opportunity, but there is a reason why Samsung are outselling all the other OEM's right now, it's because they make the best devices. Nexus devices don't even sell that much anyway.

bharding08

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I have both and love them equally. They both have there ups and downs. Love the 8 inch screen though. Can't go wrong with either.

anon8526390

Feb 10, 2014
Visit site
Hi everyone, im new to this forum which i found while i was trying to decide which tablet to buy.
i already have an iPad but i wanted a smaller and more portable tablet on the go beside my iPhone & i thought this would be a chance to put apple leash aside; so i excluded iPad mini. After a brief search i decided to get either Google Nexus 7 2nd gen. or Samsung Tab 3 8.0 as i found both to be the best tablets out there around that screen size but with approx. same prices; it wasnt exactly an easy decision. Im an avid IOS user with no previous android experience so i read alot of reviews & comparisons out there & watched some YouTube videos trying to decide; and i wanted to share what i think after all:
1. Nexus7 has a better processor & an extra 500 MB of ram.
(better multi tasking & gaming experience espcially while playing dense graphics ones)
2. Nexus7 has a better display.
(though i couldnt tell from the videos & also couldnt tell when i went to the store to check both tablets! )
3. Tab3 8.0 has a better overall memory plan with its SD memory slot.
(very valuable option while i recall the times i had to delete stuff from my 64 GB iPad to add new stuff! )
4. Nexus7 comes with stock android vs Touchwiz0.2 for Tab3.
(i cant tell which is better but seems like stock android is more prefered though)
5. Tab3 has bigger screen size that really felt more than an extra inch, maybe its because the touch keys are taking a bit from Nexus7.
6. Tab3 has S-voice which is apple's siri, i guess.
7. Tab3 has better codecs & Camera sofware out of the box. (could be remotely controlled with your voice)
8. Tab3 has better keyboard with numerical row on it while Nexus7 has an iPhone-like keyboard. (not sure if u can install another later! )
9. Tab3 has a two window display, so i can use two apps at the same time on my screen, now thats SUPREME multi tasking :)
10. Tab3 has a nice editable shortcut bar on the side of the screen. (also not sure if u can install this later on the Nexus7)
11. Tab3 gives you a free 50 GB dropbox account.
12. Tab3 looks way better than Nexus. (at least for me! )

I think from 5:12 makes Tab3 the better choice, again, at least for me.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site
Tab 3 has alot of little extras (most of which you have listed)that you dont get with nexus. I think you'll be very happy with it. I know I am. :)

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Screenshot_2014-02-09-16-07-58.png

Better fps on the N7? Maybe sometimes but it has TONS more pixels to push. Let me try to attach something for you. 3DMark does tell a different story tho...N7 is good there.

Ah. This is my Tab 3 7.0 LTE. 50% better battery life?

Last edited:

bennyscuba

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
I'm looking to get my first tablet and debating between these two. I like the 8" display and am less concerned about the worse specs on the tab since this will primarily be for media consumption as opposed to gaming. However, the one thing I do like about the N7 is the multiple users. This will be shared between me and my wife. While we don't need our own accounts etc. it would be nice for us each to have easy access to our gmail, books etc. I'm guessing the N7 is taylor-made for that but I was wondering how the tab performs in that respect?

Also, if we wanted to double this as a stereo to play music in our baby's room is one better than the other? Obviously high fidelity sound is not important just something functionally audible through the speakers...

Thanks,

bg

ffejjj

May 14, 2012
Visit site
I have a nexus 7 and I think it's pretty good but I get annoyed at all the love the tech sites give the nexus devices, and this year the HTC One. They seem to want to slag off Samsung at every opportunity, but there is a reason why Samsung are outselling all the other OEM's right now, it's because they make the best devices. Nexus devices don't even sell that much anyway.

There is a reason the HTC One got love last year... It's a damn good device

My Evo lte Filling the shoes of my HTC One

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
My 7.0 LTE has multi user support, and includes silly things like face login. For baby room music you do not need to be picky as long as it's not hurting your ears...maybe the SD card extra storage space matters. Hint: the N7 is only tailor-made to impress on paper with high rez (low contrast primitive tech) screen and a fast quad core (that only works right if you root and replace the sluggish software core). Other than that it lacks piles of basic features. The ultra rez on a small screen just makes web sites harder to read, and makes the system work harder by needing to zoom and rescale everything as you browse. Video battery life is good, tho.

ffejjj: entertainingly the Mega has had a slightly higher satisfaction than the S4 on Sprint's web site. Goes to show raw power is not the same as a well-matched whole. And the One Mini is not equivalent to the S4 mini...which I am thinking to buy as companion to my Tab.

Edit: I just re watched the video. N7 really appears to have poor color and dark contrast, over compensated by making brights *too* bright. It also seems on average less responsive to touch and slower to load web pages and the youtube app. It does not look faster and does not look like a premium device in the video. The fact of such similar size and weight, and equal or worse battery life in most cases. Not impressive.

Last edited:

relic74

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
I too was recently in the market for a new tablet, my Samsung 7.7 was starting to get a little long in the tooth speed wise. I looked at the Samsung Tab 8 only to find that it used the same exact CPU as my 7.7, now my tablet is already 3 years old, hence me wanting to upgrade. So Samsung is using a 3 year old Exynos CPU in there supposedly new model. Yea, I'm looking to upgrade not downgrade, thank you very much. So after a little more looking I decided to use my employee discount with Dell and get their Venue 8, I would have liked a higher resolution screen as 1280 x 800 is a little low for 2014 but it was alright everywhere else, Intel CPU Z5280, the Tab 3 10.1 has the Z5260 version so this is even faster, 2GB vs the 1.5 GB in the Tab 3 8, 16GB vs. 32GB, it doesn't have Miracast but MHL works just fine, price was 200.00, normally it would have costed 200.00 and it came with a Dell folio case and stylus. So for the same price as the Tab 8 you get a much faster machine which is almost twice as fast, more RAM, a lot more storage, Gorilla Glass, and better build quality. I'm sure the people in this thread like their Tab 8's but I couldn't in good conscious buy a machine that is already obsolete before even openeing the box.

RaiderWill

Jul 10, 2011
Visit site
I too was recently in the market for a new tablet, my Samsung 7.7 was starting to get a little long in the tooth speed wise. I looked at the Samsung Tab 8 only to find that it used the same exact CPU as my 7.7, now my tablet is already 3 years old, hence me wanting to upgrade. So Samsung is using a 3 year old Exynos CPU in there supposedly new model. Yea, I'm looking to upgrade not downgrade, thank you very much. So after a little more looking I decided to use my employee discount with Dell and get their Venue 8, I would have liked a higher resolution screen as 1280 x 800 is a little low for 2014 but it was alright everywhere else, Intel CPU Z5280, the Tab 3 10.1 has the Z5260 version so this is even faster, 2GB vs the 1.5 GB in the Tab 3 8, 16GB vs. 32GB, it doesn't have Miracast but MHL works just fine, price was 200.00, normally it would have costed 200.00 and it came with a Dell folio case and stylus. So for the same price as the Tab 8 you get a much faster machine which is almost twice as fast, more RAM, a lot more storage, Gorilla Glass, and better build quality. I'm sure the people in this thread like their Tab 8's but I couldn't in good conscious buy a machine that is already obsolete before even openeing the box.
You're quoting a lot of things that a 6 month newer tablet should have.. But, EVERY Tablet has it's weaknesses.. IMO, x86 is a weakness.. if you are just going to have a stock device.. then I guess you are ok for $200.00.. But developer support basically Does Not and Will Not Exist for x86.. and there are still apps and devices that don't work with x86 chipsets (six axis comes to mind..) IMO you could have spent $25.00 more and got a LG G-Pad 8.3 with a 1920 x 1200 res screen, Quad-Core Snapdragon 600 CPu / Adreno 320 GPu 2Gb's of Ram and SD-Card support.. and have Multiple ROM's & Kernels to choose from.. But to each his own. :)

Amelie Cran

Apr 21, 2014
Visit site
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 has more pixel front camera (1.3 m vs 1.2 m) , longer battery life (11 hours vs 10 hours) , thinner depth (0.27 inch vs 0.3 inch) , higher height (4.81 inch vs 4.5 inch) , wider width (8.24 inch vs 7.9 inch)
its official page:Samsung Galaxy Tab™ 3 8.0 (Wi-Fi)
Meanwhile GOOGLE Nexus 7 (2013) by ASUS has more pixel horizontal resolution (1920 pixel vs 1280 pixel) , more delicate ppi (323 vs 188 ) , more pixel vertical resolution (1200 pixel vs 800 pixel) , lighter weight (0.7 lbs vs 1.2 lbs)
its official page:http://www.asus.com/us/Tablets_Mobile/Nexus_7_2013/#specifications
I personal prefer to GOOGLE Nexus 7 (2013) by ASUS, because it get a higher score of 87 at
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8.0 vs GOOGLE Nexus 7 (2013) by ASUS

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheOzarks