My Tab 3 10.1 with Samsung smart cover turns itself off sometimes

Rbrown3012

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I have Tab 3 10.1 with the genuine Samsung smart cover (come on $50.00 for a $15.00-$25.00 cover and no Vaseline?).
With no apparent pattern the unit will sometimes turns completely off when I close the cover. IE I have to press and hold the power button for 8-10 seconds to turn the unit back on.
I assume that it has something to do with the internal magnetic switch that senses the magnet in the cover but this should be just a simple switches state when the magnetic field is present.

Any ideas?

Rbrown3012

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
After continuing the investigation I have discovered that it IS probably related to the "Smart" magnetic switch. If you lay the tablet flat on the table and raise the top (the edge with the Samsung logo) about 1 inch and then release it, let it fall on it's own, the tablet turns off. It's not as sensitive to left or right or bottom edge drops. So I guess as long as I carefully and gently place the tablet on a surface it might stay on. This is not the kind of product performance I expect from Samsung!

Rbrown3012

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Update; Tablet sent to Samsung service center. Discovered if you just tap it on the center of the backside it will instantly turn completely off, obviously a defect of some sort.

Wailai

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem. Never could figure it out after Several weeks until I came across your post. Did you ever get the problem resolved?

matanb

Oct 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi Everyone,

I also experience very bad random shutdowns of my Tab3 10.1
It doesn't seem to happen when I move it or lightly drop it like mentioned by it does happen ALOT.
I'm running unrooted, and unmodified STOCK XXUBMI5 firmware.

I bought my device abroad so unfortunatley I will have problems using my warranty :(
If anyone even has a clew as to what can cause this I will be very thankful.

Thanks in advance,
Matan.

jorelizzer

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Hey there!

I have the same problem and as matanb I can't send it to tech support. I remove the back cover and I notice that touching softly on battery cables, centered on the rear side, turn it off. I try to protect them putting a thin plastic card (I know, not the most sutble way to solve it) and it improves a little bit the shutting down sensitivity, but it's not perfect. So, that's as far as I could get. I wish to know how to solve it completely.

Hope this will be useful to find a way.

Thanks.

Arkady001

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same problem by the sound of it. After approx. one month, device started shutting down randomly if I shifted my fingers on the back while holding it in my left hand. Device would only operate with ac cable connected, suggesting a battery problem.
Sent device back to Samsung repair centre here in Germany. Returned one week later with a letter saying they were 'unable to replicate the fault'.
Device then functioned properly for one week and then fault reappeared. Device again now only functions with ac cable attached. Have advised repair centre accordingly and am currently waiting for a response.

dgtrigo

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
Same problem as Arkady001. My Galaxy Tab 3 10' shuts down randomly when the AC cable is not connected. I bought it during a trip in Qatar and lost the ticket, but Samsung technical service in Spain accepted the tablet, as it was evident the tablet was 2 days old!!! The actions they took after 2 weeks was "Software update". It didn't happen again for a few days, but after 5 days it's still happening.
I will bring it back to Samsung to try to clarify the situation.
It seems clear that it's a Hardware issue.

Thanks and try to make Samsung aware of this!!!!

Arkady001

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
If it is a design fault then it's unlikely that it can be fixed without a redesign and replacement of the parts responsible.
I've ordered a cover for mine and with any luck the additional padding on the rear will reduce sensitivity in that critical area over the battery connection that (we assume) is responsible.
Still a PITA as having to use the thing with the cable permanently attached defeats the whole purpose of owning one.

Svemirac Mars

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
I have the same problem as the others. I bought my Galaxy Tab 10.1 3 in Germany( i was on a business trip) and now I am not able to send it for repair.
I haven`t this problem with the old version of the software, but after upgrade to the latest official software problem appeared.
I'll put an older version of software in the tablet so I'll report the results.

Piroto

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi guys,

I do not have a Samsung smart cover, but I'm experiencing the same random hanging and rebooting. Often, after the spontaneous rebooting, I had no connectivity; the device just hanged trying to get an IP address ( happened in different spots, so it could not be due to the access point), and I had to reboot the device myself.

I've bought mine at John Lewis just before Christmas and was away for holidays when it started happening. Two days ago I took it back to John Lewis, they immediately replaced it, and everything seemed fine until a couple of hours ago... when it started to happen with the new unit! I noticed two things: it happened to coincide with the first time the battery got near to depletion (14%), and a major software update had taken place earlier in the day.

One third thing worth of notice is that it may be related with the fact I have an SD card permanently mounted on the tablet; check this thread: Samsung galaxy tab 3 8.0 keeps rebooting when sd card is on. The SD card I'm using with the new unit is also new, so it can't be the SD card itself; maybe it's some process trying to access it. Still, that is a bit strange, as I have almost no apps installed - just facebook, skype and a couple of trusted TV players (which, by the way, I had not installed in the previous unit).

Finally, it became apparent that the hanging / rebooting was always preceded by the spontaneous lighting of the tablet's front buttons.

I'm seriously thinking of going back to John Lewis and asking for a refund.

Svemirac Mars - did recovering an older IOS version solve your problem?

Last edited:

Rbrown3012

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
I had to send it back to service center TWICE but they did get it back in 7 to 10 days each time. After the second trip it seems to have been fixed ss no problems since.

Posted via Android Central App

Svemirac Mars

Jan 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello, more than 2 days do not have a problem with my Galaxy tab 3 device.
I read that there might be a problem with the magnetic switch, and after being shut down for the countless times,
I simply took a strong magnet and put it on the back side of the tablet.(The tablet was turned off).
After that, the tablet working as it should. I do not know whether this solved the problem but no longer turning off itself :)

Piroto

Jan 18, 2014
Visit site
Svemirac Mars,

Thanks. I have meanwhile made a hard reset, switched off all syncs and updates, and the system has not hanged since. I'll start populating my apps list, and see if any of them is the responsible for the tablet's bad behaviour.

Nicky Akalinks

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
I have Tab 3 10.1 with the genuine Samsung smart cover (come on $50.00 for a $15.00-$25.00 cover and no Vaseline?).
With no apparent pattern the unit will sometimes turns completely off when I close the cover. IE I have to press and hold the power button for 8-10 seconds to turn the unit back on.
I assume that it has something to do with the internal magnetic switch that senses the magnet in the cover but this should be just a simple switches state when the magnetic field is present.

Any ideas?

fiifi77

Apr 16, 2014
Visit site
hello good fellas....i have the same problem tho...my galaxy tab 3 keeps turning off its very annoying....and am very disappointed in Samsung.............anyways, i need help as soon as possible ...can anyone give me clues to solving this problem??if yes......how did u solve your problem???thank you

Christopher Sata

May 4, 2014
Visit site
After continuing the investigation I have discovered that it IS probably related to the "Smart" magnetic switch. If you lay the tablet flat on the table and raise the top (the edge with the Samsung logo) about 1 inch and then release it, let it fall on it's own, the tablet turns off. It's not as sensitive to left or right or bottom edge drops. So I guess as long as I carefully and gently place the tablet on a surface it might stay on. This is not the kind of product performance I expect from Samsung!

I am experiencing the same thing right now! So I'm thinking of going to a samsung service center while my warrantee still doesn't expire

Murphy1888

Sep 4, 2014
Visit site
Hello Guys i have the same issue but its with the Samsung tab 3 8 Inch version i have sent it to Samsung 4 times and they say they have not found any issues i tried to send video of the tablet turning off and on 3 times but they say they did not receive the dvd. I sent one of them in the repair box that goes to the repair centre and the engineers say there was no DVD sent, so i decided to leave the video on the tablet with sticky notes on the box saying to watch the video still nothing this has been ongoing for 9 months and still no fix. I have just recently got back in touch which they replied with we will just send another box so that i can send for repair once again. Does anyone have a fix for this or even any ideas, i have flashed the tablet so many times and it has not fixed it.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance