Galaxy Tab 3 7" - Is it a good tablet????

Mark Zagotti

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I currently have the Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus and I am considering getting the Tab 3 7". I would like to get people's opinions on the tab, is it worth it, what's good about it, bad about it, etc...

I have read a lot of the reviews and I am split down the middle if I want it or not. The screen resolution isn't a big deal to me, I mainly do reading, net surfing, some light gaming, and email. If it has the same resolution as my current tab I am happy with that. Looking at Sprint's $49.00 offer which makes it a good deal in my eyes but I know the Google Nexus is the best 7" tab out there.

Thanks for the opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Re: Galaxy Tab 3 7" Is it a good tablet????

I was looking at the Tab 3 7.0 at one point too. However, the limited storage, low resolution, lower-end CPU all made me reconsider it as a solution. If you're only going to be doing e-book reading and a little web browsing and email I'm quite sure it'll be fine for that. ...but it sounds like you're considering a 2-year commitment with Sprint to get that $49 price. I think you may do better with a Nexus 7 even though more than 4x as much up front. That contract you're considering entering is too much money for a device that may not hold up well to your future desires. Just my opinion.

Mark Zagotti

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I am considering the $5 data plan, I am with sprint. After calculating the total 2 year data and the cost of the tab, it averages out about the same. The 2 year commitment does suck.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

I am considering the $5 data plan, I am with sprint. After calculating the total 2 year data and the cost of the tab, it averages out about the same. The 2 year commitment does suck.

This ^^^

I'm also thinking on getting this tablet with Sprint.
My wife and I already own a PalmPad (HP TouchPad) but I want to get something smaller for my son, he would only play all the Angry Birds games and watch YouTube videos of his favorite cartoons.

My wife might use it from time to time for some Facebook, YouTube, reading and email.

Is it worth it??? :confused::what:

Sent From a Galaxy S4 Away!

sarlo100

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

The Sprint G Tab 3 is much, much more powerful than the Wi-fi G Tab 3. A Wi-fi model has a no-name, 1.2Ghz A9 processor and only 1GB of RAM, the Sprint version has a 1.7 Ghz Snapdragon 400 CPU, Adreno 305 GPU, 1.5GB RAM - it's essentially a slightly larger Galaxy Mega (with fewer pixels), for $50 (no activation fees) and a $5/mo plan. The deal was so good, I just jumped on it as a car tablet for my seven year old.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

The Sprint G Tab 3 is much, much more powerful than the Wi-fi G Tab 3. A Wi-fi model has a no-name, 1.2Ghz A9 processor and only 1GB of RAM, the Sprint version has a 1.7 Ghz Snapdragon 400 CPU, Adreno 305 GPU, 1.5GB RAM - it's essentially a slightly larger Galaxy Mega (with fewer pixels), for $50 (no activation fees) and a $5/mo plan. The deal was so good, I just jumped on it as a car tablet for my seven year old.

How do you like it?
How about data, is the $5/month good enough?

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

I've had the Galaxy Tab 3 with Sprint for about a week now and I love it for the price you can't beat it . The $5 plan only gives you 25 megabytes of data so it's not worth it. I went on and got 2 gigabytes of data for $15 so that I may have data if need be while on the go. The upgraded cpu, gpu and memory really make this tab run whatever you need it to.

Posted via Android Central App

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

I've had the Galaxy Tab 3 with Sprint for about a week now and I love it for the price you can't beat it . The $5 plan only gives you 25 megabytes of data so it's not worth it. I went on and got 2 gigabytes of data for $15 so that I may have data if need be while on the go. The upgraded cpu, gpu and memory really make this tab run whatever you need it to.

So it only comes with 25 megs?
I thought it was like 50? :banghead::banghead::banghead:

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

I would consider checking out the new nexus 7 as others have mentioned.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

I would consider checking out the new nexus 7 as others have mentioned.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

But I think the Tab 3 is thinner, isn't it?
And it would have data with my carrier.

Gray Area

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site

Yes its only 25mb and I believe the $10 plan has 100mb then the $15 jumps to a reasonable 2gb

sarlo100

Oct 18, 2011
Visit site

How do you like it?
How about data, is the $5/month good enough?

Just got it yesterday. The Antutu benchmark is 20345. My G Note 2 was 20477. In actual use, I can't see any difference between the two. Meaning yes, I'm saying it functions at the same level as my G Note 2. The screen is actually pretty nice, there is an auto sharpen fonts option which acts like Microsoft's Cleartype, and with that engaged, the "low" resolution of the tablet isn't much of a factor at all. It's not 1080p, and yes, there is a difference (I have a Nook HD+ strictly for the screen), and that screen does look better. But not overwhelmingly so by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the data - I'm happy with the $5 plan for the simple reason that the overage is @ $15/GB, billed by the MB. Meaning you don't get charged the $15 if you go over, but only 1.5 cents/MB of actual usage. That I find to be eminently fair, especially compared to some other jenky carrier data plans *cough* AT&T/Verizon *cough*.

Overall, if you have LTE coverage in your area, it's a great buy. Probably as good as buy for a new tablet as there is out there. Although the brand new T-mobile 200MB free data for tablets might work better for some people.

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site

Just got it yesterday. The Antutu benchmark is 20345. My G Note 2 was 20477. In actual use, I can't see any difference between the two. Meaning yes, I'm saying it functions at the same level as my G Note 2. The screen is actually pretty nice, there is an auto sharpen fonts option which acts like Microsoft's Cleartype, and with that engaged, the "low" resolution of the tablet isn't much of a factor at all. It's not 1080p, and yes, there is a difference (I have a Nook HD+ strictly for the screen), and that screen does look better. But not overwhelmingly so by any stretch of the imagination.

As for the data - I'm happy with the $5 plan for the simple reason that the overage is @ $15/GB, billed by the MB. Meaning you don't get charged the $15 if you go over, but only 1.5 cents/MB of actual usage. That I find to be eminently fair, especially compared to some other jenky carrier data plans *cough* AT&T/Verizon *cough*.

Overall, if you have LTE coverage in your area, it's a great buy. Probably as good as buy for a new tablet as there is out there. Although the brand new T-mobile 200MB free data for tablets might work better for some people.

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware of how they handled overages but it does seem more than fair.

Nexus 7

Mark Zagotti

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site

I made the jump and got it. Sold my old tablet which nearly paid for the new one. I just now need to learn what all it is capable of and what it isn't.

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for the replay sarlo, I didn't know how they handle the overage.
:thumbup::D

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site

I made the jump and got it. Sold my old tablet which nearly paid for the new one. I just now need to learn what all it is capable of and what it isn't.

Let us know how you like it. :thumbup:

deanodrums

Aug 4, 2012
Visit site

I have just bought two tab 3 7" for my children for Christmas. I was also split on the reviews but because the price is good (?160) and they love playing on my s3, it would be good first tablet for them.
It will be only used for gaming and probably a kindle for my daughter.
Hopefully I won't have any problems that others seem to have. Ie wifi.

Ive read some of you have a data plan. What would you need a data plan for if its a wifi tablet. You can only get wifi version of the tab 3 tablets here in uk.
Unless I got it wrong.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pauloxcavalcante