Micro SDHC Card memory problems

barkerw

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I recently purchased 2 Galaxy Tab 3 7.0's for my kids to watch movies on. I also purchased 2 x 32gb SDHC cards via ebay to store their movies. So i get them in and i can copy all the movies i want onto the memory card and the devices will recognize them and the memory cards, but only the first 4 or 5 movies i copy will play. Anything after that will just give me a message saying "sorry this video cannot be played", and i can tell the movies that will play by the thumnails on the device movie player.....the ones that play have thumbnails of the first frame of the movie and the ones that don't will all have a thumbnail of just the play button. My first thought was something i remembered in another electronic issue years back about NTFS or FAT32 only recognizing 4gb or something like that. So i have since formatted both cards with FAT32, exFAT and NTFS. The Tabs do not recognize NTFS formatted cards though it appears.

So basically no matter what i do i seem to be stuck with what seems to be a 4gb cap on these SDHC cards. But its weird because i can copy all the files i want but only the first 4 gb play it seems like.

Here is a link to the cards i bought.
https://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-...e=STRK%3AMEWNX%3AIT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

(32GB RH DATA Micro SDHC Card

1x 32gb RH DATA Micro SD Card Class 2
1x Adapter
1x Protective Case

Use this with your Phone, Camera, or Tablet to store Music, Pictures, Movies, and More! )

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wes

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hello,
I recently purchased 2 Galaxy Tab 3 7.0's for my kids to watch movies on. I also purchased 2 x 32gb SDHC cards via ebay to store their movies. So i get them in and i can copy all the movies i want onto the memory card and the devices will recognize them and the memory cards, but only the first 4 or 5 movies i copy will play. Anything after that will just give me a message saying "sorry this video cannot be played", and i can tell the movies that will play by the thumnails on the device movie player.....the ones that play have thumbnails of the first frame of the movie and the ones that don't will all have a thumbnail of just the play button. My first thought was something i remembered in another electronic issue years back about NTFS or FAT32 only recognizing 4gb or something like that. So i have since formatted both cards with FAT32, exFAT and NTFS. The Tabs do not recognize NTFS formatted cards though it appears.

So basically no matter what i do i seem to be stuck with what seems to be a 4gb cap on these SDHC cards. But its weird because i can copy all the files i want but only the first 4 gb play it seems like.

Here is a link to the cards i bought.
32GB Micro SD SDHC Memory Card Adapter Case RH Data | eBay

(32GB RH DATA Micro SDHC Card

1x 32gb RH DATA Micro SD Card Class 2
1x Adapter
1x Protective Case

Use this with your Phone, Camera, or Tablet to store Music, Pictures, Movies, and More! )

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wes

I think there is a file limit restriction on SD cards. Also, be aware that Android does not support SD cards. Samsung forces code to make them work.

barkerw

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Do you mean there is a limit restriction on the file size for SD cards? I don't think that can be it because as i said i've ripped 7 movies down to a less that 1gb size each and it copied all of them fine and they will even show up on the tab.....but it will only play the first 4......it doesn't matter which 4 they are....but it will only play 4 of them. The rest show up on the tab, they just won't play.

What kind of card are you supposed to be getting for the Tab 3 then if not Micro SD? I thought that was what they advertised that it would accept.

Wes

Last edited:

Alex MacDonald

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I have the tab 3 and sandisk 32 GB card and I have 6 movies and 12gb of music on it and it works fine for me. Android Is obviously compatible with SD to because the internal storage is an SD card so puts that idea in the trash. It's probably just a low quality SD card or the movies are the wrong file type because not all movies are supported by the device.

Oh and there is a size limit on the cards it can handle 32gb max but that's plenty.

BoredandTattooed

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
No probs here with my 32gb card...

Check file types... .mkv and some .mp4 won't work in standard player... I like MoboPlayer Pro (free in market) - though I don't think it likes tablets as I've been having issues with that app as of late

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Go to settings/storage and scroll down to format sd card. Formatting it on the device should fix the problem. If not you most likely have a bogus card. There was a thing in the past where cards were defective cards where sold at their stated capacity but of course being defective maybe only a few gigs where actually available. Thought that wasn't going on much any more with cards being so cheap now but maybe I was wrong. I make it a point to only by major name brand cards at major retailers. My data is worrh more than the couple bucks that could be saved. A 64gb Sandisc uhc card was only $49 bucks a couple weeks ago at Best Buy. Definitely worth that price just for the safety.

Posted via Android Central App

Mark Zagotti

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
I have been using nothing but Sandisk microSD cards in all of my phones and tablets without any issues. I myself would not have taken a chance on a no name brand that was shown in the Ebay link. I looked at similar inexpensive micro sd cards on Amazon and saw too many reviews of card failure. My opinion and advice is to stick with either Kingston or Sandisk cards.

Sent from my SM-T217S using AC Forums mobile app

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
It sounds like a simple matter of the ones that won't play not being in the proper format. Are all the movies in the same format?

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I definitely think you got some bogus SD cards from eBay, as many others have before you. :thumbdown::(:banghead:

If you already formatted, reformatted and made sure everything on that end it's good, more then likely the cards are at fault.

Try a brand name card to see what happens.

Good luck! :thumbup::cool:

Sent From My Galaxy Tab 3

kelliemurray

Jun 6, 2014
Visit site
Samsung says that the Tab 3 will accept up to a 64gb micro SD. Would a 32gb be better? *shrugs*
I'm on the hunt for a card now and am really not all that computer savvy. With me it's trial and error...mostly error lol.