battery on tab3 8.0 drains quickly...an issue?

Nychotxxx

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I expected great battery life per Samsung hype and online reviews. But seems to drain quickly. I'm an experienced tablet user so I know the various power saving routines. Are others surprised by lousy battery times? I can literally watch drop the percentage icon next to the battery icon.

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
I recently had an issue with my Sprint Galaxy Tab 3 7.0. I turned out that a defective SD card was the source of the excessive battery drain.

weknsmith

Aug 9, 2011
Visit site
What tipped you off to the SD card being the battery drain?

Posted via Android Central App

I had seen other threads in the Galaxy S3 forums regarding battery issues due to an SD card. My Galaxy Tab had never had issues with battery life until I added the SD card. As soon as I removed the card the issues went away.

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a SanDisk 32GB card and I am very pleased with the battery life. This is with moderate to heavy usage (surfing, downloading, games, Facebook, etc)

Screenshot_2013-11-03-22-56-31.png

Hurrycanejohn

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
My Tab 3 8.0 was idle for 19 hours and comsumed 20% of my battery power. Is this excessive or is that just normal?

WordPainter

Sep 1, 2011
Visit site
Depends on what you have running in the background. If you have apps like Facebook pushing notifications or widgets that update every hour or two, you'll naturally lose more battery even when idle.

talos2

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I had seen other threads in the Galaxy S3 forums regarding battery issues due to an SD card. My Galaxy Tab had never had issues with battery life until I added the SD card. As soon as I removed the card the issues went away.

I have found exactly the same on my TAB3 10.1 using a SanDisk 32gb card, with the card in my battery drains in les than a day with moderate usage, without the card it lasts for at least 3 days.
Has anybody found a card which does not put a drain on ?. I thought a memory card only uses power when it is accesed , but these seem to be powered up at all times.

orion430

Feb 8, 2014
Visit site
I have not charged my Tab 3.8 tablet since yesterday and when turned off last night it had 92% battery capacity. Turning on this morning showed the same 92% capacity. The battery at present shows 46% and has been used on battery for 6hr 23mins. This is with the wifi and GPS turned on but the screen brightness at about one third and the power saving turned on and a 32g sd card installed. I am very happy with the battery performance.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Losing 10% in one hour of active screen time is *good*. That's ten hours active time. My 7.0 LTE gets just under 11 hours in my preferred ebook reader. Put another way if I'm using Opera a lot and playing Bard's Tale or something I get maybe six hours good use, roughly. I leave on the bluetooth, wifi and Smart Stay at all times thus far.

robin635

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Tab 3 8". I have monitered the loss and it is 20% over a six hour period.That is with no wifi and left untouched off in standby.This is my first Samsung having a Ipad2 and Nexus 4 phone am not used to this loss, is it the norm or should I be retutning my Tab 3 for a replacement

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
The counter is only reset when you charge the battery, not when you restart. As I recall.

But to my knowledge the device does *not* wake itself up.

When in standby or sleep, if there is a Connection Optimizer like on my model it will control the wifi radio. Long enough without signal and wifi will be disabled, or if it probes and finds a recognized network the wifi will switch back on. For power savings.

But you can check the battery drain and CPU time of both applications and some system tasks.

robin635

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Thankyou, I am afraid I dont fully understand your points I can say the wifi is switched off when in standby. I have checked it at various times and can say it is losing a pretty constant 2% an hour.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Obviously the models with different hardware will have different behavior but...

My 7.0 LTE lost 4% charge over ten hours. Enabled were "4G, Wi-Fi, GPS, Sound, Screen Rotation, Power Saving, Multi Window, Smart Stay, Sync, Connection Optimizer". I always hold Home and close all programs before I go to sleep, but the background services were still checking for new messages.

I did not have my SD in it at the time.