Galaxy tab 3 8.0 lock Screen issues

tab3matt

Dec 27, 2013
Visit site
Hi guys and girls I have just got a galaxy tab 3 for christmas all is well except for one niggely issue which is rather annoying, sometimes when i hit the home button or the power button to then unlock the screen, the screen will not react to touch and i cannot unlock it........the power button will turn off the screen again so i know the device is not fully frozen, also the back and settings keys will light up but they are also non touch sencitive.......if i hold in the power button It will bring up the power off/restart menu but still the screen will not react to touch and essentially the device is a brick!

I have realised that sometimes when i lift up the tablet essentially tilting it from flat on the table to up on its end the screen will light up as if i have hit the home or power button but i have not, this seems to sometimes coinside with the screen becoming non touch sencitive, ie if i lift it up and it happens to light up without being touched and i proceed to hit the power button to close the screen again, then rehit the button to illuminate it again, it then will become non touch sencitive, carrying on to do so until i set it down again to at which point the screen goes dark again making the unlock noise and when i hit the button to open the screen it is sencitive to touch again and will unlock with a swipe (i assume this is some sort of bug and the device does some sort of quick fix recalibration) but i would like to irradicate this problem if possible.

This is not happening on a regular basis but has happened maybe 5 - 6 times since i got it 3 days ago, the divice was bought off amazon so i have held off returning it for a few reasons....1 its hard to prove what the fault is as its not a constantly occouring problem...2 its not just a case of going into a shop and explaining, it would be an infuriating over the phone convo with a computer automated machine!

If anyone has any knowledge or advise regarding this issue please pass it on as this is a small problem putting a dampener on an otherwise awesome product!

Thanks....Matt

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi guys and girls I have just got a galaxy tab 3 for christmas all is well except for one niggely issue which is rather annoying, sometimes when i hit the home button or the power button to then unlock the screen, the screen will not react to touch and i cannot unlock it........the power button will turn off the screen again so i know the device is not fully frozen, also the back and settings keys will light up but they are also non touch sencitive.......if i hold in the power button It will bring up the power off/restart menu but still the screen will not react to touch and essentially the device is a brick!

I have realised that sometimes when i lift up the tablet essentially tilting it from flat on the table to up on its end the screen will light up as if i have hit the home or power button but i have not, this seems to sometimes coinside with the screen becoming non touch sencitive, ie if i lift it up and it happens to light up without being touched and i proceed to hit the power button to close the screen again, then rehit the button to illuminate it again, it then will become non touch sencitive, carrying on to do so until i set it down again to at which point the screen goes dark again making the unlock noise and when i hit the button to open the screen it is sencitive to touch again and will unlock with a swipe (i assume this is some sort of bug and the device does some sort of quick fix recalibration) but i would like to irradicate this problem if possible.

This is not happening on a regular basis but has happened maybe 5 - 6 times since i got it 3 days ago, the divice was bought off amazon so i have held off returning it for a few reasons....1 its hard to prove what the fault is as its not a constantly occouring problem...2 its not just a case of going into a shop and explaining, it would be an infuriating over the phone convo with a computer automated machine!

If anyone has any knowledge or advise regarding this issue please pass it on as this is a small problem putting a dampener on an otherwise awesome product!

Thanks....Matt

Welcome to the forums.
Did the device get an update when you powered it on?

Anders Rehn

Dec 30, 2013
Visit site
I've had a similar problem, the solution to which was connected if you have flip cover.
The magnet in the cover puts the tablet in locked mode, and while in proximity, the tablet will be in locked mode. You can light up the screen, but it will be unresponsive to touch.
I can also imagine that similar magnetic fields would have the same effect (although completely scientifically unsupported - just pure speculation).
My solution was to open the cover, or if the tablet was flipped in the cover, make sure that the cover does not touch the backside of the tablets upper edge.

Fredrick Ndungu

May 2, 2014
Visit site
I've had a similar problem, the solution to which was connected if you have flip cover.
The magnet in the cover puts the tablet in locked mode, and while in proximity, the tablet will be in locked mode. You can light up the screen, but it will be unresponsive to touch.
I can also imagine that similar magnetic fields would have the same effect (although completely scientifically unsupported - just pure speculation).
My solution was to open the cover, or if the tablet was flipped in the cover, make sure that the cover does not touch the backside of the tablets upper edge.

WazK224

May 13, 2014
Visit site
Hello, did you resolve this issue? I am on my second tab 3 8.0 and really would like a solution to this issue. I love this tablet apart from this issue, and would love it to be just the case.

crkckr

Mar 8, 2014
Visit site
Matt,
This might sound a bit condescending but are by chance touching the screen with your ‘off’ hand or with another finger? If so, that will prevent the screen from reacting to any other touch.

The magnet is another possibility, as mentioned by Anders. If you have a ring or other jewelry with anything magnetic in it, there’s a ‘hot spot’ in the center left of the screen that reacts to a magnet. I discovered this when closing my Snugg case part way and seeing the screen shut off… hmm, says I. So I pull out my extendable magnet that I always keep handy and sure enough, running over that specific spot kills the screen instantly. These guys thought of *almost* everything.
Cheers,
cc

AB429

Oct 16, 2014
Visit site
Thanks so much -- open the case, lay it flat - BINGO! Lots of wild answers on the web - replace screen, etc, etc.! Finally someone with some sense.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol