How to edit files on SD Card when Samsung Tab 3 (7") is mounted on Windows 7 PC

808_Android_User

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I have a 7" Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 (SM-T210R) with Android Version 4.1.2. I have recently purchased a Defender case for my Tab 3 that surrounds the entire tablet. Unfortunately, it's difficult to access the micro SD slot on the tablet since the casing is hard to disassemble once the tablet is placed in the case. Previously, I have been able to dismount the micro SD card from the tablet and edit files on my PC after inserting the micro SD in to an adapter. As mentioned earlier, it's difficult for me to remove the micro SD card on the tablet and so I have attempted to access the micro SD files via USB connection between my PC and tablet. I am able to access the micro SD file system on my tablet, but whenever I open a document, I find that the file is "Read Only," which consequentially inhibits me from saving any changes to the files on the tablet's micro SD card after editing the file on my PC :(. I was wondering if there was a way to change the tablet permissions so that I can edit files on my tablet's SD card while my tablet is connected to my PC. Thanks in advance for your help.

NoNexus

May 10, 2013
Visit site
Not sure but it will be slower than jsut editing them on the PC and moving them back. I use dropbox and have my files there. they sync in between the phone and PC and any changes are saved right back up

Smokey Mc Pot

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I find it easier to use the cloud to transfer files, but also is easier to connect the tablet to the pc with the usb cable instead of removing the external sd card...
About the editing documents,
The only documents I find awkward to deal with are the (.rtf) files.
Apart from that I have no problems in editing the files...

Sent from my SM-T310 using Tapatalk

808_Android_User

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to edit Word 2010 (.docx) and PowerPoint 2010 (pptx) documents. I guess it'll just be better for me to only transfer files that I'm actively using to my tablet when I'm on the go and then transfer the back to my computer via the USB when I'm using my primary computer.

Sideman1

Dec 10, 2013
Visit site
Are the document's file permissions already set to Read Only on the PC (not the ones you see on the SD card)? If so, that's the issue...try changing them on the PC before transferring....but I would think you would have thought of that already.

808_Android_User

Jan 5, 2014
Visit site
Hey Everyone,
Thanks for your help and suggestions. In order to bypass the Read Only issue, I just keep certain documents on my tablet's internal storage and store the rest on my computer so that it's easier to transfer files via USB.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
itamargs