any way to make my 7.0 run smoother?

dna47

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
Hey guys, first post here.
Around Christmas I bought a 7.0 wifi for 100$ because I wanted a small tablet to run some android apps since my playbook is stuck on 2.3. I wasn't expecting much from this low end tablet, but I can't take it anymore, it's so slow and it constantly lags. Is there anyway I can boost it a little bit? It's rooted if that matters. Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Samsung's Galaxy Tab 3 to be powered by a Marvell PXA986 processor - Liliputing Bah. For $100 it's pretty good but you could snare an off brand with Tegra 3 for similar. Expect trade offs in screen sensitivity and battery life tho.

8.0 is fast but costs more up front.

7.0 LTE is $50 up front and faster than 8.0 but you are on contract MINIMUM $7-8 /mo for 24 months I think. If you get the crap data plan and stay on wifi only. I went with it because it's like a bigger Mega, basically. Similar pixel count and exact same hardware. eBay your wifi model for $100 after Wiping it and get something else or get the 7.0 LTE.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, first post here.
Around Christmas I bought a 7.0 wifi for 100$ because I wanted a small tablet to run some android apps since my playbook is stuck on 2.3. I wasn't expecting much from this low end tablet, but I can't take it anymore, it's so slow and it constantly lags. Is there anyway I can boost it a little bit? It's rooted if that matters. Thanks!

If you're rooted, have you considered running a custom ROM? For the most part they significantly improve performance and some even give you better battery life :)

tube517

Jun 28, 2010
Visit site
There are a limited number of custom ROMs for the Tab 3 7.0
However, if you root, you can flash a ROM that has all the Samsung crap bloatware removed. Mine does run a little bit (not a lot) smoother without all that bloat.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah the reporting tools show minimal CPU/battery use from the custom bits, better than my experience with Sense. But if it saves 50-100MB of RAM that's useful enough on a 1 gig device.

dna47

Feb 7, 2014
Visit site
If you're rooted, have you considered running a custom ROM? For the most part they significantly improve performance and some even give you better battery life :)

Prooblem is that I cant seem to find any good roms

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Yeah I only have small hope even for the LTE model to get a superior custom image, because it has more similar hardware to other candidates like the Mega. And maybe a few devs bite on one of the giveaway promotions.

relic74

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Personally I would never compromise so much that you have to with the Tab 3 just because it's cheap You said you paid $100, well I paid $140 for my Dell Venue 7 and the difference is quite substantial. I have since gotten rid of the Dell, actually sold it for $150 to a co-worker of mine and bought a Kindle 7 HDX, installed a AOSP ROM on it. This tablet makes both, the Tab 3 and Dell Venue 7 look like complete garbage, CPU: Qualcomm 800, 2GB RAM, 16GB Storage, 1920 x 1200 Resolution, Miracast. It just utterly blows the doors off of the other two tablets. It also show just how slow the hardware is in Tab 3 8" and Tab 3 10.1 when compared to a good CPU. So If the Tab 3 10.1 is the fastest in the Tab 3 lineup and the Dell 7 venue for just $140 is as fast with the same exact CPU as the Tab 3 10.1, actually the Dell is faster because of the extra 1GB of memory and doesn't have the very laggy, memory hogging TouchWiz UI, than the entire Tab 3 is defiantly not really worth a look. The Dell Venue 8 is actually a good buy as well with the even faster Intel Z2580 at 2 GHZ, 2GB RAM, 32GB, even comes with a pen and Dell case for only $250 vs the Tab 3 8 with it very old Exynos 4212(this CPU was released in April of 2011), 1GB RAM, 16GB storage.

Anyway, you get what you paid for, in the future I would sincerely doing a little more research and don't buy something just because it's cheap. Case in point, the Tab 3 7 is complete garbage, actually I would go as far as to say the entire Tab 3 lineup is garbage. If your going to buy a Samsung tablet, pony up the extra money and get a Note or Pro series because their below mid-range stuff just isn't worth the money. If you want to stick with low cost 7" tablets, then choose one of these; EVGA Note 7, HP 7 Extreme, Nexus 7 v2 or if you want to save as much money as possible than the Dell Venue 7 anything less than that though and your just punishing yourself.

Dell Venue 7 vs. Tab 3 7
CPU: Intel Atom Z2560 1.6GHZ (Same CPU that's in the Tab 3 10.1) VS. Marvel PXA986 1.2 GHZ (just a horrible CPU)
Memory: 2GB VS. 1GB
Storage: 16GB VS. 8GB
Resolution: 1280 X 800 VS. 1024 X 600
AnTuTu: 18370 vs. 10518 (just for giggles, the Kindle 7 HDX scored an amazing 32,835)

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
The troll is back. At least a tad better read this time. Kindle HDX is pretty good with a custom ROM, would like microSD but whatever. The Tab 3 10.1 has the fastest CPU on paper in the Tab 3 line excepting the Tab Pro, but yes we've been over this about the low RAM holding it back.

None of this has anything to do with the 7.0 wifi being held back by weak PXA986 or the same-chassis 7.0 LTE being very good value at its price point with much smoother performance. Which is pretty much the answer to the topic unless a fast/lean ROM comes out for the T210.

Personally I would never compromise so much that you have to with the Tab 3 just because it's cheap You said you paid $100, well I paid $140 for my Dell Venue 7 and the difference is quite substantial. I have since gotten rid of the Dell, actually sold it for $150 to a co-worker of mine and bought a Kindle 7 HDX, installed a AOSP ROM on it. This tablet makes both, the Tab 3 and Dell Venue 7 look like complete garbage, CPU: Qualcomm 800, 2GB RAM, 16GB Storage, 1920 x 1200 Resolution, Miracast. It just utterly blows the doors off of the other two tablets. It also show just how slow the hardware is in Tab 3 8" and Tab 3 10.1 when compared to a good CPU. So If the Tab 3 10.1 is the fastest in the Tab 3 lineup and the Dell 7 venue for just $140 is as fast with the same exact CPU as the Tab 3 10.1, actually the Dell is faster because of the extra 1GB of memory and doesn't have the very laggy, memory hogging TouchWiz UI, than the entire Tab 3 is defiantly not really worth a look. The Dell Venue 8 is actually a good buy as well with the even faster Intel Z2580 at 2 GHZ, 2GB RAM, 32GB, even comes with a pen and Dell case for only $250 vs the Tab 3 8 with it very old Exynos 4212(this CPU was released in April of 2011), 1GB RAM, 16GB storage.

Anyway, you get what you paid for, in the future I would sincerely doing a little more research and don't buy something just because it's cheap. Case in point, the Tab 3 7 is complete garbage, actually I would go as far as to say the entire Tab 3 lineup is garbage. If your going to buy a Samsung tablet, pony up the extra money and get a Note or Pro series because their below mid-range stuff just isn't worth the money. If you want to stick with low cost 7" tablets, then choose one of these; EVGA Note 7, HP 7 Extreme, Nexus 7 v2 or if you want to save as much money as possible than the Dell Venue 7 anything less than that though and your just punishing yourself.

Dell Venue 7 vs. Tab 3 7
CPU: Intel Atom Z2560 1.6GHZ (Same CPU that's in the Tab 3 10.1) VS. Marvel PXA986 1.2 GHZ (just a horrible CPU)
Memory: 2GB VS. 1GB
Storage: 16GB VS. 8GB
Resolution: 1280 X 800 VS. 1024 X 600
AnTuTu: 18370 vs. 10518 (just for giggles, the Kindle 7 HDX scored an amazing 32,835)

Big Bopper

May 5, 2016
Visit site
I realize this post is two years old but if anyone is still interested there are several ROMs still available that will speed up the 7.0 considerably. I'm currently running fast dream v6 and it runs fast and very smooth after applying some of the tweaks contained in the ROM. Hope this helps someone.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech