samsung chargers

xmostwanted559x

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Is a samsung wall adapter required? Mine doesnt charge on my lsptop or my other usb chargers. If I used a random micro usb cord would it work or do I have to use a samsung charger and cord

Posted via Android Central App

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think you need a Samsung charger but you do need a higher amp port. Most Laptop USB ports can only output up to 500mA, and that's usually not enough to power a tablet (most notably, iPads). Maybe that's the case with what you tried.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You don't need a Samsung wall charger (Although this would be the best for Samsung products). Any charger made specifically for phones or tablets has worked for me.

Sent from my Galaxy S4 running Slim Bean 4.3

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
My luck with 3rd party chargers has been hit and miss. I stick to stock.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

xmostwanted559x

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
When I plug it into my generic usb wall adapter it wont charge my tab but will charge my ipbone
Actually I tried two wall adapters that work for my iphone not work for my tab

Last edited:

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
When I plug it into my generic usb wall adapter it wont charge my tab but will charge my ipbone
Actually I tried two wall adapters that work for my iphone not work for my tab

The tablet probably requires much higher capacity wall charger than the iPhone. Does it not charge at all or does it do it very slowly?
Can you see the actual "charging" notification when you plug it in?

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
It seems quite possible they are digitally brand-locked for warranty/extortion puposes. Well it came with a charger, my car has an inverter to plug into, no big deal so far. I have heard claims before of Galaxy devices with melted ports but I mainly blame that on cracked connectors. So far my port does not feel fragile but it's not going to be godlike as my Echo microUSB....sturdiest port ever.

xmostwanted559x

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
The tablet probably requires much higher capacity wall charger than the iPhone. Does it not charge at all or does it do it very slowly?
Can you see the actual "charging" notification when you plug it in?

No charge at all.

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Dont own another one. Can it be cable issue? But my samsung charger does charge my iphone lol

Can someone see if theirs does the same?

I suggested just the cable as that would be the easiest way to diagnose.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC Forums app

xmostwanted559x

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
The cable works with the samsung adapter and it works for data transfer on laptop

Was hoping someone can test for me rather than me go out and buy cables

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
I find any charger over 1 amp will charge my Tab 8.0. I just use a generic Sams Club dual port charger in the truck. Charging from my computer works but only on the usb 3.0 ports which makes sense since most usb 2 ports only do 500 mah

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Again, tablets need higher Amperage to charge. Phones can charge with less than 500mA, which is what most PC/Laptop/WallChargers output because that's the old USB standard. Yes, the cable can play a part here, but even with the most premium of cables, if your output port can't handle the current draw, it won't charge the tablet.

Most Samsung chargers are 1.5 or 2 Amps, so that's why they can charge the tablet without issues (and yes, an iPhone or other USB-powered phones).

xmostwanted559x

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Again, tablets need higher Amperage to charge. Phones can charge with less than 500mA, which is what most PC/Laptop/WallChargers output because that's the old USB standard. Yes, the cable can play a part here, but even with the most premium of cables, if your output port can't handle the current draw, it won't charge the tablet.

Most Samsung chargers are 1.5 or 2 Amps, so that's why they can charge the tablet without issues (and yes, an iPhone or other USB-powered phones).

Ahh the ones I have that dont work says 100-200v and 50/60hz and 5.2v=500ma

My samsung charger says 5.0v=2a

Reviews are so mixed on amazon, any good aftermarket brands you guys suggest thats not very expensive. Or websites

Last edited:

talos2

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
I don't see the logic in using generic charger bought off the web, at the best they don't work, at worst they fry your tablet or phone & at the very worst catch fire or electrocute. C'mon guys the "official" ones are not THAT expensive are they.:)

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you simply MUST go with generic ones (let's not demonize them, some are not that bad quality) as long as they can output 1A or more, you should be able to charge your tablet without issues.

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, the only charger in history that I have had that did any of those horrible things was and official Samsung car charger I had for a gen 1 Tab 10.1. On that tablet your could only use official. Aftermarket would not work period. The charger went bad and took the tablet with it. I've had some aftermarket ones fail from time to time but I've never had one damage a device. Let's face it. They're all made but the same kids, just in different rooms in the factory. I guess in the one days when the protection circuit was in the charger there may have been more risk but that circuit is on device now, at least on anything that charges via USB.

talos2

Dec 20, 2013
Visit site
Honestly, the only charger in history that I have had that did any of those horrible things was and official Samsung car charger I had for a gen 1 Tab 10.1. On that tablet your could only use official. Aftermarket would not work period. The charger went bad and took the tablet with it. I've had some aftermarket ones fail from time to time but I've never had one damage a device. Let's face it. They're all made but the same kids, just in different rooms in the factory. I guess in the one days when the protection circuit was in the charger there may have been more risk but that circuit is on device now, at least on anything that charges via USB.

Whilst I agree many types of charger are made by the same company under the same roof by the same people, they are not the same, all are built to a price, this does not make them potentially unsafe just cheaper and perhaps not so long lasting. The ones I referred to in my previous post are the copies, most certainly not built in the same factories, sometimes not even the same countries. These are the ones commonly found for sale on market stalls or on internet sites a very low prices, these have been found to be dangerous and have killed, trading standards have great difficulty telling them from the originals so what chance do we have. I personally am not prepared to take the risk, but each to their own, I still don't see the logic in spending good money on your tablet or phone, to then skimp on a charger .

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol