galaxy tab 3 won't charge or turn on. Help

procrasinator

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
I read on this forum that it's a common issue. I've tried 3 different chargers. I've tried holding the power button, power and volume etc. Still not working.

Plugged it into my laptop and Windows said it didn't recognize my device or my device has malfunctioned.

This is crap:(.

It's only 3 months old. It's the kids tab version.

I called the Geek Squad at Best Buy to see if they had a magic way to charge it and they said if Windows won't recognize it then I need to call Samsung and get it replaced under the warranty

Anything else I can try?

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Well you got 3/4 of the way to the answer. You can either get a warranty ticket or you can follow the youtube tutorial to pop the back off and disconnect the battery cable. Not only is this a known issue, it has a reliable fix.

procrasinator

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
If it's the battery issue will that cause Windows not to recognize it?

Also, I have a 2 year warranty on it. I'm afraid I will break it trying to get to the battery or it will need a repair at some point and my warranty will be voided because I tampered with it.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
You should clearly read your extended warranty terms before deciding how to proceed. If it only fully covers *one* replacement you should probably order the plastic tool and try the battery trick yourself. If it's like the old BB plans covering up to three replacements you could just send it in.

Read a couple more no charge/won't turn on threads to get a feel for this. It is an irritating known issue to be sure, but at least something can be done about it and it CAN be prevented by minding the battery level.

Brenda Nicholson

Mar 14, 2014
Visit site
My Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 8" also had the "battery not charging" message it did charge from 11% to 66% while the message was there the whole time. It didn't seem to want to charge any further. I unplugged the charger from the computer and plugged into the house plug and the message was replaced with "charging" or "battery charging" that was only about 10 to 15 minutes ago and I am at 84% now. I was plugging my charger in when my tablet beeped. I guess I won't be doing that anymore.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
For the fifth time I've ran my 7.0 LTE to forced shutdown and still no trouble. Keeping an eye ready and my case tool in my bag tho.

procrasinator

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Well this is crappy:(

Today I called Samsung to see what the status is on my repair. I was told that the charging port is bad and they determined that I DAMAGED it so I have to pay to fix it.

The actual repair center is closed until Monday so I don't know how much money they want to fix it. I have 4 Galaxy tabs, 1 galaxy player and a galaxy phone. This is the only device that I've ever had issues with.

I have a Squaretrade warranty so I guess I need to contact them now.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Samsung does *not* have ports that hold up well when you snag the cable or try to force it in upside down.

My three year old, 7oz Echo can be swung around dangling from its original cable. Sturdiest microUSB I have ever seen.

procrasinator

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
OMG!! The tab is a 7 inch. I paid $199 for it brand new. Samsung wants $99 to replace the flipping port! !!

I called Squaretrade and they are going to either fix it or replace it at no charge. I just need to get it back from Samsung and ship it to Squaretrade now.

Techprodigy

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site
Hello, I am a newbie to the forum
But I will share my experiences with you on this topic.

I bought a S3 7" tablet at Best Buys before leaving LA.
I get back to Australia and the thing ran for about 3 hours on the initial charge.
That was the end of its working life..Dead. will not charge.
I contact Samsung in OZ, they flick me off to Samsung US.
I contact Samsung US.
They say that because I do not live in the US I cannot get warranty cover.
I again contact Samsung through various channels to try to get some satisfaction.
Even the web based site that says the CEO will respond.. Nope.
They reply from an unmonitored mail box, so you cannot respond.
Samsung.. basically they suck, at Customer Service..
That feels better..

The problem, is sometimes referred to as "Bricking"
The device becomes a brick.. Dead as a Dodo.
The most common known fix is to open her up, disconnect the micro connection to the battery.
Put it all back together and start again.
It will charge, and work.
But, as I have found out.. It will do it again, and again.
A colleague tells me it is a firmware issue.
Samsung are still not saying that the tab has a problem.
Actually they are still saying nothing to me.
So, a three hours old tab 3 was dismantled and basically reset, because Samsung do not recognise products globally. [Unlike Apple]

Once again I am in the process of dismantling the tab to disconnect the battery, to reset my Brick.

Holding buttons, trying different chargers. A waste of time.
This fix does work.. Albeit a repetitive one, if you let the charge get too low.

I just might invest in another battery, and see it that helps.
As for my warranty.. Astalavista Baby.
About as good as Samsung Support.

Relgoshan

May 16, 2011
Visit site
Hello, I am a newbie to the forum
But I will share my experiences with you on this topic.

I bought a S3 7" tablet at Best Buys before leaving LA.
I get back to Australia and the thing ran for about 3 hours on the initial charge.
That was the end of its working life..Dead. will not charge.
I contact Samsung in OZ, they flick me off to Samsung US.
I contact Samsung US.
They say that because I do not live in the US I cannot get warranty cover.
I again contact Samsung through various channels to try to get some satisfaction.
Even the web based site that says the CEO will respond.. Nope.
They reply from an unmonitored mail box, so you cannot respond.
Samsung.. basically they suck, at Customer Service..
That feels better..

The problem, is sometimes referred to as "Bricking"
The device becomes a brick.. Dead as a Dodo.
The most common known fix is to open her up, disconnect the micro connection to the battery.
Put it all back together and start again.
It will charge, and work.
But, as I have found out.. It will do it again, and again.
A colleague tells me it is a firmware issue.
Samsung are still not saying that the tab has a problem.
Actually they are still saying nothing to me.
So, a three hours old tab 3 was dismantled and basically reset, because Samsung do not recognise products globally. [Unlike Apple]

Once again I am in the process of dismantling the tab to disconnect the battery, to reset my Brick.

Holding buttons, trying different chargers. A waste of time.
This fix does work.. Albeit a repetitive one, if you let the charge get too low.

I just might invest in another battery, and see it that helps.
As for my warranty.. Astalavista Baby.
About as good as Samsung Support.

TL;DR knows about known issue does not learn to prevent it. Buys region supoorted device expects global repair service. Australia is a terrible place to own imported goods and for $1400AUD you get a custom laptop 3-4 times better than the $1200 branded imports.

People outside Australia know about the IT black hole, I would have expected you to be more prepared for re crossing the event horizon. At least you didn't buy an N7.

writedontoday

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Mine when plugged in kept cycling between the circle, battery charging icon at 0% then black. If left plugged in all night, it would charge.

I have tried everything except disconnecting the battery.

The fix: while plugged in hold the power button and home button at the same time until it turns on. Worked great for me.

Let me know if this works for you as well.

Thanks

John Loewen

Jun 7, 2014
Visit site
I'm facing the same problem. But I need to keep the apps, data and settings intact as re-creating certain of them would require info I don't have easy access to. If I pop the back and remove the battery connection, will that delete all personal data from the Tab, similar to a factory reset? I nedd to know before I try that.

Raydogg74

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
I'm facing the same problem. But I need to keep the apps, data and settings intact as re-creating certain of them would require info I don't have easy access to. If I pop the back and remove the battery connection, will that delete all personal data from the Tab, similar to a factory reset? I nedd to know before I try that.

John, the simple answer to your question is "No." All resetting the battery does is change it from "brick status" back to empty battery needing to be charged mode.

I hope this helps!

-Ray

jf_aero67

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
Mine when plugged in kept cycling between the circle, battery charging icon at 0% then black. If left plugged in all night, it would charge.

I have tried everything except disconnecting the battery.

The fix: while plugged in hold the power button and home button at the same time until it turns on. Worked great for me.

Let me know if this works for you as well.

Thanks

Yes this works! Thank you! Saved me a trip to the returns counter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463