I have a generic ubs keyboard. The tablet seems to realize there is a usb kb
    because it gives me the option to use an external kb, but that's it. It doesn't
    type. I tried dealing with a usb host app but I'm not clear on that.
    Thanks
    11-19-2014 01:40 AM
    Welcome to Android Central! I don't believe that will work, unless you use an OTG (On-The-Go) adapter, and even then I'm not sure it'll work. The external keyboard settings are likely for a Bluetooth keyboard.
    iwantmylaptop likes this.
    11-20-2014 12:00 AM
    I have a generic ubs keyboard. The tablet seems to realize there is a usb kb
    because it gives me the option to use an external kb, but that's it. It doesn't
    type. I tried dealing with a usb host app but I'm not clear on that.
    Thanks
    Like the forum stated, you'll need the otg adapter from Samsung since the pen set up on the cables are different and it doesn't have enough power to run the keyboard. OR you can buy a powered "Y" adapters which pretty much connects the keyboard to the tab and your charger to the adapter to power your keyboard and tablet.
    12-02-2014 03:32 AM
    Not sure this relevant but my wife bought a cheap Android 10 in tablet from China and later bought a case with an inbuilt keyboard. This did not have any internal power but came with a standard usb plug and an adapter to convert to a micro usb plug. Pluging this into either micro usb socket on the tablet removes the on screen keyboard and initialises the external keyboard. No settings needed to be changed. I presume the keyboard has been designed to work with Android.

Posted via Android Central App
    12-02-2014 02:45 PM