How do I store music on an SD card?

EdiMike

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site
How to store music on an SD card

I have a Gaaxy Tab 3, running Android 4.1.2. I use the Google "Play Music" app for playing music.

Right now, my music is stored in the Music folder in the device's internal storage. But I would like to move it to the external SD card. I know how to move it. What I can't figure out is how to tell the music player app where the music is stored. No matter where I put the files, the app always looks for them in the same Music folder.

According the Google's Help, I should be able to go the app's Settings screen, and under Downloading look for Storage Location. But I don't have a Storage Location option in the Settings screen.

I know the SD card is working OK, because I have used it for other types of files. I also know that I can use my file manager to click on a music file anywhere in the system, and that will launch the tune in the app. But I don't want to have to do that each time I want to pick some music to play.

Any help would be appreciated.

Mike

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: How to store music on an SD card

You should have Download cia Wi-Fi only, View download queue, then Storage location. That's version 5.6.109Pxxxx Maybe try installing it from the Play Store again?

EdiMike

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for the fast reply, Rukbat. Unfortunately, it doesn't help.

I already have Download via Wi-Fi Only set. It makes no difference. I still cannot see an option for Storage Location. Also, I can't see "View download queue".

I have also checked that I have the latest version of the app.

Anyone have any other suggestions?

Mike

EdiMike

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

Well, in the absence of a solution, I did what I should have done in the first place. I ditched the Google app. I went to Google Play and browsed the various music players on offer, finally settling on one called Shuttle Music Player. So far, it seems to be working perfectly, and there's no problem pointing it to music on the external card.

Mike

Coopsdm

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site

I think I have the solution to your question.
The play music app couldn't move music to the sd card until kit kat (android 4.4) was installed on my tab. Jellybean didn't support that option at all.
Hope this helps

Posted via Android Central App

EdiMike

Aug 6, 2014
Visit site

Thanks for that, Coopsdm. I won't be updating the operating system merely to solve this problem, but I'm sure the information will be helpful to others.

Mike

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance