Tab 3 charged but will not power on

Tersanyus

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Hi all,

I've read many threads here about Tab 3's that won't charge or power on. Tried the tricks in those and nothing. I have the Sprint Tab 3, SM-T217S. The tablet is fully charged, screen says so when I plug in a charger, says 100%. Used the original Samsung charger and other chargers.

Problem with mine, the power button doesn't do anything. I'm pretty sure I do not have the battery issue that many others here have described as mine always says 100% when a charger is plugged in. I've tried as many button configurations as I can think of. Power button + Home or Vol Up or Vol Down, Home button, nothing. Tried with or without the original charger plugged in on all those button combinations as well. I sure wish Samsung devices automatically turned on when you plug them in when turned off. Also tried with the original Samsung cable connected to a computer, nothing.

I have not tried opening my tablet up either to do any kind of battery cable pull as suggested in many other threads here. Could it maybe just be a bad power button? I think my next step might just be to pry this tablet open to look in the area of the power button

Any ideas on this one please?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Faulty power button is certainly a possibility. I'd suggest bringing it to a repair shop, rather than opening it up yourself (unless you have a lot of experience doing so).

Tersanyus

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
Well I opened the tablet up. Wasn't that hard. Was disappointed the power button area was covered. But turns out there's this little flap like thing near where the power button is. Noticed it was not connected or loose. Pushed that down gently. Then I pressed the power button and the tablet turned on!

I made sure the flap thing stayed down, turned tablet off and on several times all worked well. Then put back cover on and all still fine with the power button. At least if that happens again I'll know what to do.

I had thought about taking it to a local repair place. I had to have a busted LCD display fixed on a Note 3 once. And they did a good job. But instead of taking the tablet there I decided to open up the tablet myself. No I don't have experience working inside tablets and phones. But at least this was an easy fix.