Tab 3 as a dashcam ?

Mark Normand

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Already have this tab3 7" I got last year to check my game cameras in the field.

I now realize there are dash cam apps available... I'm now running a very cheap standalone 12v Chinese dashcam now that is kinda flaky and difficult to operate.
The new dashcam apps can run in background, and still allow me to run the google basemaps with no wifi or cell connection. I think the gps chip will move me along the basemap with no connection needed? Now possibly if setting destinations and waypoints are needed, then a live internet connection for updates may be necessary.

Also, the dashcam app I have in mind also displays ODB2 data from the auto port.. I plan to buy a bluetooth scanner for the port. This can be somewhat important to me as I'm pulling a trailer often and like to keep track of live engine related data.

And if I need, can always hook up to my iphone6 hotspot as needed.

I'd like to set the tab on the dashboard and leave it up there for longer trips. It's a bit larger than the biggest dash/windsheld type GPS I would think?

Anyone see any issues or problems with this plan in general? Suggestions? I usually use my iphone6 for other constantly changing tasking like music, podcasts, etc, and putting it up on dash is not feasible, not to mention IOS doesn't support background camera use for dashcam.

Thanks!

Beut

Apr 29, 2015
Visit site
It's not good idea to use it as dash cam and GPS as these two applications consume a lot of battery power unless plugged to a charger.
I once used Iphone 6 with a map application, it often ended up with overheat due to sunlight and the app. I gave up and use a GPS instead.

aptidude

Dec 9, 2015
Visit site
I had a bit similar idea, where I would use the tab as media and the app centre. On my Galaxy Note I sometimes end up using navigation, streaming music running via bluetooth, and if a call comes in it goes berserk. No chance for a dashcam app or engine data app. So if I had tablet doing some work like music and navigation, I could use the Note for engine data, and whatnot.
I find it using smartphone/tablet as dashcam a bit of a nuisance. It needs to be plugged in to power, have to hide it from the sun's heat, have to take it in and out all the time not to get it stolen. I've just got standalone dashcam, set it up and leave it run until I need the footage.
But the problem I'd like to solve is how to sync my devices with a NAS box. When I come home I'd like my devices to start syncing music, dashcam footage, and other data as soon as they pick up home wifi network. It should be technically possible to sync Android devices I guess. But how to setup dashcam to automatically upload videos? Use another Android device? How to manage power supply? Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome