microSD Slot and Screen Resolution Questions

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm looking to swap out my 10.1 GTab for a smaller GTab, so I'm looking at the 8.9 or 7.0 Plus. I read on TechnoBuffalo that the 7.0 Plus had a microSD slot. If this is the case, it might be the winner.

Does anyone have any clue as to the truth to the microSD on the 7.0 Plus?

Also, I know the screen res is a little lower on the 7.0 Plus as compared to the 8.9. But is that going to matter, being that it is nearly 2 inches smaller?

Just wondering anyone's opinions on this, as I'm not an expert on screen res.

Thanks!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Well, I checked Samsung's website, and it looks like it DOES include a microSD slot. Which is exellent news. Really makes me want to consider this over the Fire.

I'm still curious about the screen, as it's not quite the resolution of the 8.9 or 10.1, but could still be pretty adequate as it is the same as the Fire (resolution-wise - 1024x600). If anyone has some opinions, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

volwrath

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
My opinion is 1024x600 is a great screen resolution for a 7" tab. My nook color looked awesome, and I have this sucka on order at amazon now

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
My opinion is 1024x600 is a great screen resolution for a 7" tab. My nook color looked awesome, and I have this sucka on order at amazon now

Yeah, I'm still trying to find out if I want to get this one or the Fire. I just switched back to the Android world and traded my iPhone for a Bionic, so I'm not sure if I want a different tablet experience than my phone - meaning, I'm not sure I just want a bigger version of my phone or if I want a tablet that's different than what I have.

volwrath

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Yeah, I'm still trying to find out if I want to get this one or the Fire. I just switched back to the Android world and traded my iPhone for a Bionic, so I'm not sure if I want a different tablet experience than my phone - meaning, I'm not sure I just want a bigger version of my phone or if I want a tablet that's different than what I have.

I just got a message from amazon that it should arrive 11/2. I dont know if that means at amazon or here at home. This thing is going to be so much more versatile than the fire. Bluetooth, front and back cams, gps. The choice was clear for me, and I had same dilemma, well except this is twice as much as fire!

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I just got a message from amazon that it should arrive 11/2. I dont know if that means at amazon or here at home. This thing is going to be so much more versatile than the fire. Bluetooth, front and back cams, gps. The choice was clear for me, and I had same dilemma, well except this is twice as much as fire!

Yeah, I agree 100% that it's much more versatile, but the price really got me to the Fire. Plus I looked at the reasons I wanted a tablet, and honestly the Fire fit the bill.

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I got it today. Its very nice and speedy.

Wow! Didn't they say it wasn't supposed to be out until Nov. 13th? it says that it's available for shipping at Amazon.

What's your overall take on it? I'm still a bit on the fence. But all these Prime movies, tv shows, books are really leaning me to the Fire.

volwrath

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Wow! Didn't they say it wasn't supposed to be out until Nov. 13th? it says that it's available for shipping at Amazon.

What's your overall take on it? I'm still a bit on the fence. But all these Prime movies, tv shows, books are really leaning me to the Fire.

I think Im really going to like it. Its so fast, screen looks very nice, and you can watch the prime movies and shows with flash, although this new prime book deal requires a kindle device that I no longer have :(

The question is: is it worth twice as much as a Fire, and I would almost have to answer no. Having voice, bluetooth and GPS could come in handy though. I think the ips screen of the fire may be better. Engadget confirms that it has the exynos processor.

A question that's come up often: Does it have a GPS? (The official specs on press releases only indicate "A-GPS")

Thanks
Gary

It appears to have a gps as it locked on without a wifi signal

Reactions: pb_j and Wildo6882

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
The question is: is it worth twice as much as a Fire, and I would almost have to answer no.

This is what gets me. I think the 7.0 Plus looks incredible, and is just what I want. But I don't think it's worth $200 on top of the Fire. If it was $300 for the 16gb, it would be a no brainer. Or if the Fire was $300 and the Plus was still $400, I think I would still go Plus. But with the Fire being $200, and for what I really want it for (books, magazines, movies, tv shows, a few apps, and email) the Fire at half the price still looks like the winner.

Thanks for your input.

garyd

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
This is what gets me. I think the 7.0 Plus looks incredible, and is just what I want. But I don't think it's worth $200 on top of the Fire. If it was $300 for the 16gb, it would be a no brainer. Or if the Fire was $300 and the Plus was still $400, I think I would still go Plus. But with the Fire being $200, and for what I really want it for (books, magazines, movies, tv shows, a few apps, and email) the Fire at half the price still looks like the winner.
Keep in mind the limited storage space of the Fire. Only 8GB, and no way to use any type of memory card. The tab plus gives you 16GB, plus a TF slot in case you want even more (for storing lots of movies, TV Shows, books, etc.)

Of course, depending on what you'll be using it for, that might not matter much. For $200 more, you get:

• GPS
  • Bluetooth
  • 8GB extra storage
  • expandable storage via transflash (micro SD)
  • Full andriod market (instead of limited amazon market)
  • 802.11a/n GHz (in addition to 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n)
  • infrared (in case you want toturn the volume down on the TV while supposedly just reading an
    ebook)

I only hope my experience with the 7" GT Plus turns out better than my 10.1 experience was (lots of lockups on one, and another that just completely died.)

Take care
Gary

pb_j

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Mine will be here tomorrow too.

I did have a Fire on order but changed my mind after researching the Plus. I think the Fire is a great product but I don't consume media on their website and don't pay for prime to get all the extras. To me that $199 price ends up being more once including the annual prime membership plus music and books. Also 6GB is not enough space on the device.

Last edited:

volwrath

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
Keep in mind the limited storage space of the Fire. Only 8GB, and no way to use any type of memory card. The tab plus gives you 16GB, plus a TF slot in case you want even more (for storing lots of movies, TV Shows, books, etc.)

Of course, depending on what you'll be using it for, that might not matter much. For $200 more, you get:

• GPS
  • Bluetooth
  • 8GB extra storage
  • expandable storage via transflash (micro SD)
  • Full andriod market (instead of limited amazon market)
  • 802.11a/n GHz (in addition to 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n)
  • infrared (in case you want toturn the volume down on the TV while supposedly just reading an
    ebook)

I only hope my experience with the 7" GT Plus turns out better than my 10.1 experience was (lots of lockups on one, and another that just completely died.)

One other thing is that Anandtech confirmed that it was running the exynos processor not the tegra2. I think that is a huge win! I'm a little worried about battery life though. Glad other people have them on the way, Im getting lonely :)

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
Dammit guys, you're really making me rethink my Fire decision. It's just so hard to tell which one would be better suited for me when the Fire isn't out, and the 7.0 just really came out today. Plus, my family has informed me they'll get me a Fire for the holidays, but if I want anything more expensive, I'm ponying up the difference.

volwrath

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
I really like this tablet. I need a good case for this thing though. I want Bluetooth and gps so fire is out. I hope we get some development help soon, cause I need root for adhoc support. I'm also running some battery tests, but it seems to be in he 6-8 hour range.
Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk

hexbyte

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Just got mine today... Nice look and feel. Matches my Galaxy S2 phone ;)
Still playing with it as we speak. Having no trouble setting it up so far. Need to find a good case for it now...

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I'm still up in the air...been looking at both all day. They both have something I want. I'd definitely appreciate some more info on the 7.0 Plus as you guys use it a little more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thtknt