Does the 7.0 plus WIFI have a GPS chip.so I can use it for mappin

LouCap

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
Re: Does the 7.0 plus WIFI have a GPS chip.so I can use it for ma

yes, the tablet can find your location, just like the original GT.

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site

yes, the tablet can find your location, just like the original GT.
But does it have Google Navigation? That's the biggie, seems Android is still a mess with all the market issues, Google Services, and WIFI tablets v contract tablets.

I did find out that the Lenovo A1 GPS works, but it runs with Lenovo's app store. Unless it includes (not likely ) Google Nav, you have to get it another way. The poster said he rooted it, but I don't know if that was how he got Google Nav.

antnyp85

Feb 6, 2011
Visit site

It does have Google Nav. I was using it the other day, but encountered an issue. Although it has GPS/ Turn-by-turn Navigation, it still required a data connection via Wifi in order to get the map to be visible/load correctly... The navigation worked, but the map wasn't displaying correctly (Would just show blurred out, with the blue line for the navigation). I figured that the maps would be stored ON the tablet, and not through the data connection lol... Seems pretty useless to me! I was glad that the navigation continued to work, but I sometimes like looking at the map to see where I'm supposed to turn!! :-/

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site

What about using the lab to pre-fetch? That might help.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk
If what you are calling is pre-fetch is where you logn press on a map, it will only cache a 10 mile area. And if you do another the first one goes away. But it's been a while for me, so things may have changed.

Update: I does keep several areas now, so it must have changed.

Last edited:

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site

Update:

Samsung's Tab 7+ page now mentions Gmaps and G Nav and GPS! I hear it will even find you without a WIFI connection, just takes longer!

If it drops from 400 I'm in.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
Initially, I was very disappointed in the GPS ability to see and lock on to satellites. Sitting in my den, and comparing side by side to my rooted gingerbreaded Fascinate. The Fascinate saw 8 almost immediately and locked on to 5 in about 10 seconds. The GT7+ saw only 2 and never locked on to any, even though I waited several hours. Next day I take the GT7+ out to the car. In about 20 seconds it saw 14 and locked onto 8. Pretty darned good I would say. Now we just need to find a good Nav program that stores the maps on the device or SD card. I have tried CoPilot Live and find the latest versions very poor. (I'm in Huntersville, North Carolina but every time CoPilot tries to give my current location it says I am in El Yaqui, Columbia, South America! It also quite frequently mis-locates addresses by up to half a mile.) Sygic and Navigon are expensive and get very mixed reviews. Any one using any good ones they would recommend? If google will get off its duff and let us download regional, national maps we will have some Nirvana.

Sonix

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site

Initially, I was very disappointed in the GPS ability to see and lock on to satellites. Sitting in my den, and comparing side by side to my rooted gingerbreaded Fascinate. The Fascinate saw 8 almost immediately and locked on to 5 in about 10 seconds. The GT7+ saw only 2 and never locked on to any, even though I waited several hours. Next day I take the GT7+ out to the car. In about 20 seconds it saw 14 and locked onto 8. Pretty darned good I would say. Now we just need to find a good Nav program that stores the maps on the device or SD card. I have tried CoPilot Live and find the latest versions very poor. (I'm in Huntersville, North Carolina but every time CoPilot tries to give my current location it says I am in El Yaqui, Columbia, South America! It also quite frequently mis-locates addresses by up to half a mile.) Sygic and Navigon are expensive and get very mixed reviews. Any one using any good ones they would recommend? If google will get off its duff and let us download regional, national maps we will have some Nirvana.
That's because you gave it time to download the GPS data needed for a lock, but some of it does expire in about 3 days.

GPS signals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Btw, Navigon is now in the Android market, and it's owned by Garmin.

wtherrell

Aug 23, 2010
Visit site
That's because you gave it time to download the GPS data needed for a lock, but some of it does expire in about 3 days.

GPS signals - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Btw, Navigon is now in the Android market, and it's owned by Garmin.
Thanks for the reply.

Navigon. Garmin. Noted. But I will have to decide if I need it $57.10 worth. My next car will probably have Nav built in. Guess I'll just stick with old Magellan Maestro 4700 for a while. It seems to be slightly more accurate than Google Navigation anyway.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae