Debating moving to the Galaxy Tab 7 Plus

lembowski

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Hello, I currently have a VZW Xoom 4G that I use as my tablet. The weight and size are starting to make me not want to take it along as a travel companion. Been looking at the smaller options on the market, specifically the 8.9, 7 Plus and possibly the 7.7 if it ever comes. I bought the Xoom at a great price and don't use the 4G as I use my Galaxy Nexus as a Hotspot.

In your opionion if you had it all to do over again today would you still get the 7 Plus or would you have gotten the 8.9 or possibly waited for the 7.7?

For me size wise I really like both the 8.9 and the 7 Plus. Both are worlds more portable than my Xoom and I'm sure I would be happy with both.

richard_rsp

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Well, I was in a similar situation. I have an iPad2 and am on Verizon (I do not have it connected to 3G though). While the iPad is great, its really too big to carry with us when we go places. Recently, we have been looking for a solution to watch our Slingbox while camping at races (we are Grand-Am fans) and for me to carry to work - Something smaller, but bigger than a phone.

I was immediately drawn to the 7" tablet size. My main test for size was whether or not i could place it in my coat pocket. (If I could "hide" it in a pocket, there was a much better chance that I would carry it with me more places). That limited me to 7" exclusively. After looking at the Original Galaxy tab on Verizon, HTC Evo View 4G on Sprint and Galaxy Tab Plus on T-Mobile, i decided to go with the Galaxy Tab Plus. I also looked at the XYBOARD 8.2", but it was even too big to fit in my pocket (plus Verizon doesnt have 4G in our area).

Ive only had it a week now, but since I have had it, I dont believe I have even picked up the iPad. While I knew that I would be liking the smaller size when traveling/camping, I didnt realize how much I enjoy the smaller size for reading in bed, or sitting on the couch... I am not bothered at all by how "small" a 7" screen is.

My only problem is with the carrier. While I am not thrilled at T-Mobile coverage, they DO have 4G in our area, and I am getting 6-8 Mb per sec download speeds, but it is EDGE/2G everywhere else. Had Verizon had a 4G tablet that was 7", i probably would have gone that route. But since you are wanting to use hotspot with a wifi-only GTab+, that wont matter to your situation! ;)

Overall, I am MORE than satisfied with my choice of the GTab+. Since I wanted it to fit in a pocket, the 7.7" was likely too big, and I know that the 8.2" and up woudnt have met my needs for portability. I recommend it.

Edit: Due to coverage issues, I actually returned the Galaxy Tab Plus and bought a Moto Xyboard 8.2 on Verizon. I was surprised that it actually DOES fit in my coat pocket, but its close. as of now, i am actually liking the xyboard more at the moment.

Last edited:

RhinoDoc

Oct 12, 2009
Visit site
I have a WiFi only Xoom, had it almost since launch, and I love it. However, what I found myself doing more than anything else was reading books. I have had different varieties of Sony Readers for years and love eBooks. The Xoom is great, but it was unwieldy to read on, especially in bed. I think the 7 inch size is perfect - I can wrap my hand around it, advance pages with a swipe or pushing the volume down button, it doesn't get too heavy like the Xoom did. I still have the option of looking something up on the web (where is Djibouti?) that I couldn't on the Readers. Web browsing is good, it was better on the Xoom, but for me this is the perfect size. I think the 7.7, although not THAT much bigger, would be just a little more difficult to handle.

curney

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
I like mine. Had the og tab and loved every minute of it. I upgraded cause I'm a geek and wanted honeycomb and eventually ICS. I carry it with a dumphone so its my mobile "smart" device.

sent from my T-Mobile Samsung Galaxy Tab Plus

Khidr

Jun 1, 2010
Visit site
I'll agree with what the others have said. I had an acer a100, and ended up getting rid of it as it was just too big for reading and light browsing in bed, on the sofa. 7" is THE perfect size for a tablet. It just fits that spot between laptop and phone a lot better than the 10" screen, which is basically a netbook without a keyboard.

It also helps that this particular tablet is very thin and has a good weight to it. I wasn't sold though until I went into a best buy and handled it a bit, which is really the best thing you can do if you're weighing your options.