Battery: Red "X" and Lightening Bolt

Pia Macchiato

Feb 27, 2013
Visit site
Why is there a red "x" and lightening bolt on the battery icon of my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus tablet? How do I fix this? Thanks. It also says that it is charging even when not plugged into adapter. When I am about to shut down the tablet it shows big battery charging from 100% to 80% with out being plugged in. Help!

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Why is there a red "x" and lightening bolt on the battery icon of my Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus tablet? How do I fix this? Thanks. It also says that it is charging even when not plugged into adapter. When I am about to shut down the tablet it shows big battery charging from 100% to 80% with out being plugged in. Help!

Are you using an OEM Samsung charger that is plugged into a wall outlet, or a third-party charger/USB charging connection? The red 'x' charging indicator can be caused by not using an official charger. As for thinking it's charging when not plugged in and strange battery behavior, that may indicate a problem with the charging port, power circuits, or the battery itself.

Anim@l

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Usually, if the red "X" appears on the battery icon the tab is charged at a lower Amp. An example is when you attach it to the USB port of your computer. The lightning bolt appears when the charge Amp rating is correct, this is the case when plugging/using the wall charger to charge your tab. Both methods can charge your battery but the "red X" charging takes a lot longer. If you see both at the same time, maybe its time to head down to your Samsung repair shop.

zkSharks

Retired Moderator
Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
Anim@l may be right. It's possible that the tablet think's it's charging at a slower rate or with an improper charger because of damage to the charging cable or to the charging port. First, I would try charging with a completely different official Samsung charger. If that works, you know that the charger was the problem. If it still doesn't work, it may be a problem with the tablet's charging port, and you may have to have it fixed.

Make sure there isn't any debris in the charging port on the tablet. If you can get your hands on one of those compressed air dusters, they work wonders for clearing out ports.

Anim@l

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Update:
I bought a PowerBank a couple of weeks ago for my to power up my devices. It comes with the cable and adapters so it fits my Note 2 and Tab plus.
I used the same cable to charge my devices in the office using my laptop.
The red "X" does not appear anymore not like when I used to use the cable from the OEM charger.
But the drawback is the cable is not for data because I could not access my device when it connected to the laptop.
With this in mind, I used the 3rd party cable for charging and the OEM cable for data access.

zombieman1123

May 4, 2013
Visit site
Yea, ive been having this problem as well. I dont think this is a false cord because it came with the device. I have a samsung galaxy tab 2 and I am verry frusterated because irs not charging. I would like someone to help me aswell if you can. My email is sage.sekhon@gmail.com

Android Brad

May 6, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0 today and at first it was taking a perfect charge and then my wife plugged the cord into a usb splitter hooked into the oem outlet charger, in hopes to charge both my new galaxy tab and her ipad at the same time... :p didn't sound like too bad of an idea at first, but as I'm sure you can guess, it was. Now there's a red X over the battery when charging, and it says that the device is not charging, but it is, just veeeeery slowly... :( I'm hoping dearly that it's just the cable that got "burnt", but I'm expecting the worst. Can anybody please fill me in on any more information as to my problem, and more importantly, the solution? Thanks guys. Be nice, I'm a noob :):-[

Anim@l

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Try charging your tab2 with its OEM charger.
If the red "X" still appears, without disconnecting it from the OEM charger, restart your tab2 and hopefully the red "X" will disappear.

Android Brad

May 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion. I actually was able to resolve this problem myself thankfully!

Well, I had thought that I had been using an OEM tab 2 charger, but after I checked into it a little bit, I figured out they what I had received when buying the tab (second hand) was in fact the OEM wall plug for a Samsung galaxy s3 smartphone. Turns out they are amped totally different. I went to the local att store and looked at the voltage/watts/amps of all the usb wall chargers until I found one with the exact same specs, and bought it, roughly $30. I didn't have the highest of hopes but I took it home and plugged it in, to my amazement, no more red X while charging! Hooray! Talk about major relief... Hope my post can help someone else, this seems to be a pretty popular problem.

Anim@l

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
Glad to hear you got it solved.
Anyways, it would have been a very low charger mA you have there.
Sometimes, I charge my P6200 using my powerbank port with 500mA and the red "X" will not appear.
Charging is slow though but at least I wont run out of juice while I dont have a wall outlet to plug into.

isleidyll

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestion of using compressed air on the ports. This fixed the red-X problem instantly!

Anim@l may be right. It's possible that the tablet think's it's charging at a slower rate or with an improper charger because of damage to the charging cable or to the charging port. First, I would try charging with a completely different official Samsung charger. If that works, you know that the charger was the problem. If it still doesn't work, it may be a problem with the tablet's charging port, and you may have to have it fixed.

Make sure there isn't any debris in the charging port on the tablet. If you can get your hands on one of those compressed air dusters, they work wonders for clearing out ports.

Jane Param

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site
Hi
I have a Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
It was charging perfectly until a red X showed up with a green lightning bolt on the battery icon. I have this battery app that shows that my device is charging however the said icons on the battery still shows up. I tried to turn it off while it was charging, that's the time i was able to charge my tab. I tried swapping chargers with my sisters but it still wont charge when turned on. I am using the charger that came with it when i bought it. Can you please help me with this? Thanks

Katie Banton

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
HELP !!!
I have a Samsung galaxy tab 2 7.0
it was charging fine until I plugged it into my socket and a red X showed up over the battery so I went into the kitchen and plugged it in and the X was still there so I went into the dining room and plugged it in and its charging . iam using the original charger for the tab and the original usb lead. I want to get this fixed but I don't know if it is something to do with the fuse or the battery itself. can you please help me with this problem ?? thanks

Adrienne Seawell

Jun 17, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem with the OEM adapter until I notice that the tablet USB cord was not pushed in 2: the power plug that plugs into the wall all the way. if you stick the USB halfway into the power plug that plugs into the wall it will give you the red X. just unplug it from the wall and then push the USB all the way in to the plug then plug it back up to the wall it will charge Fine.:-*

Jim Q

Feb 19, 2013
Visit site
Hello all,
While researching the "Red X" power icon on the Galaxy Tab 2, I came across the Samsung GALAXY Tab 2 7.0 User Manual on the Samsung Web site. According to this 141 page manual, the red X power icon is the "USB Charging Indicator: Connected to PC via USB cable. When connected to a PC, the battery only charges when the device is turned off." (That's a direct quote from page 21 of the manual.) Also, the half-green battery icon with the lightening bolt simply shows that the battery is charging. So, I don't think you will ever see the lightening bolt while the tab is connected to a PC.

This verifies my observation where the Tab 2 would not charge when connected to a PC if the tab is powered on. In fact, leaving it on depletes the battery, just like when it's not PC-connected. When it is turned off however, it charges normally, and seems to charge fairly quickly.

Here's a link to the the page where you can get to the User Manual PDF:
Support - Verizon Tabs SCH-I705 | Samsung Galaxy Tab

I hope this sheds some light.

Jim Q.

Last edited:

edz30

Jul 24, 2013
Visit site
I tried everything, but your advice worked.... thank u so much.. lols.. i did tried to push the usb port in, and now there is no red x....
I had the same problem with the OEM adapter until I notice that the tablet USB cord was not pushed in 2: the power plug that plugs into the wall all the way. if you stick the USB halfway into the power plug that plugs into the wall it will give you the red X. just unplug it from the wall and then push the USB all the way in to the plug then plug it back up to the wall it will charge Fine.:-*

GregUP

Aug 10, 2013
Visit site
Jim Q, that would be great, but the red x appears for us when we use our factory provided wall chargers. Lovely right? I'm going to reach out to Samsung because this is quite frustrating and ridiculous; both of my kids tablets are doing this and they are less than one year old (that is the tablets)!

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci