Drawbacks for buying outside of USA?

smartgroup

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Hi all
I think this tablet is the one for me. If Samsung does not offer the Wi-Fi version in the US what would be the drawbacks if I buy this else where?

Thx much in advance

Stargher

Jan 11, 2012
Visit site
But Samsung Global warranty would still apply. I bought mine from Simplyelectronics.com (Hong Kong) a few weeks ago, but it has not shipped yet.

tangfj

Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
the only thing i'd consider is if you get an international version, which networks would it work on and whether or not it'd be able to be used as a phone... not sure if the verizon version will have phone capabilities as no one has reported that it'll be able to be used as a phone from ces.

that being said, does anyone know if the international gsm version will work on at&t or t-mobile? if so, how would one go about activating on one of those networks? right now i'm contemplating getting the international version but unsure if i should wait for the 4g lte verizon version...

smartgroup

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
All,

I just want a WIFI version. I read somewhere that they have this in Hong Kong and a friend can help me get one. BTW if I bring this back to the US I should get firmware updates fine right?

Thx much.

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered a wifi one from Negri Electronics. Many postings over on XDA about ordering from them and confirmation from folks that they are getting updates direct from Samsung. Negri has the wifi in stock and the 3g on backorder. Hoping to have mine before the end of the week. I'm not affiliated with them in any way, but I have purchased from them once or twice in the past and have had good results.

bluefyre#AC

Jul 29, 2011
Visit site
There's a 379 Pound WIFI only one on eBay via e_cell seller from the UK. That's $583.
Shipping is pretty reasonable too.
NEW SAMSUNG GT-P6810 GALAXY TAB 7.7" 16GB WIFI 1.4GHZ DUAL-CORE TABLET | eBay

I'm seriously thinking of selling my Galaxy Tab 8.9 LTE on eBay and XDA for it.

@pgood14
@smartgroup
How much did you pay for yours?

I really hope it's the international version. I think there would be no problems/drawbacks if it's the WIFI only version. The warranty will hold. As for firmware updates, we haven't had any news about those yet have we? I think it depends on the model number.

pgood4

Oct 3, 2011
Visit site
Via Negri the wifi version is $542 U.S. with free shipping. It lists for $572, but if you put "gift" in the coupon field you get a $30 discount. I believe the 3G version is around an additional $100.

I actually cancelled my order since I've become a little undecided between the 7.7 and the ipad 3. I decided I could wait a few more weeks until the ipad 3 is announced and then make a decision on what works best for me. The size, weight and screen resolution of the 7.7 definitely appeal to me, but my company is adding more and more capability for the ipad that is becoming somewhat compelling.

Reactions: bluefyre#AC

smartgroup

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
Guys

I am in Hong Kong right now on a business trip.

The HK wifi+3g without phone capability is only about $400 USD. I actually want to get but they could not change to English international version firmware for me.

The Wifi+3G+with phone capability English international version is $700 USD.
The Wifi only English international version is $600 USD.

Too expensive for me may be I should wait till the wifi version comes to the USA since I currently already have the wifi 7.0 plus.

spridell

Jun 10, 2010
Visit site
the only thing i'd consider is if you get an international version, which networks would it work on and whether or not it'd be able to be used as a phone... not sure if the verizon version will have phone capabilities as no one has reported that it'll be able to be used as a phone from ces.

that being said, does anyone know if the international gsm version will work on at&t or t-mobile? if so, how would one go about activating on one of those networks? right now i'm contemplating getting the international version but unsure if i should wait for the 4g lte verizon version...

I have the 3g+wifi Version from Hong Kong and ordered through Negri Electronics.

I am on an ATT go phone prepaid sim card and the tablet works perfectly. I get phone capabilities and also the data is very fast. About 4-6mbps download speeds and I am on Long Island, NY.

The Verizon version coming out will NOT have voice capabilities. If you look at the press photos you can see there is no speaker on the top of the phone to be used as an earpiece.

on a side note: The screen on this thing is the most impressive. I have an Ipad 2, galaxy tab 8.9 and 10.1 and non of them even come close to the screen quality on the 7.7

Codeworks

May 17, 2010
Visit site
Maybe this is a dumb question, but when you buy the 3G version from Negri Electronics, does it come with a USA based charger? Also, is everything in English?

Last question is I am assuming this uses a full size SIM card from ATT, so I should be able to use one that I have in my phone right now?

Thanks.

tbarbs169

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
I got mine off of e-bay from a seller located in Hong Kong. No issues at all (I have the wifi only version). They threw in an adapter for the charger so I could charge it here too. I proceeded to get a 30 pin usb and travel charger from Amazon since the 30 pin that came with the unit is permanently affixed to the charger. This will allow you to connect it to a computer.

I had no issue with Kies recognizing the 7.7 and getting an update.

If you wait till they finally release it here, there will likely be another tablet coming from someone on the horizon and you will be wondering if you should wait for that one too. JUST GET IT!:D

mclarryjr

Retired Moderator
Nov 2, 2009
Visit site
If you wait till they finally release it here, there will likely be another tablet coming from someone on the horizon and you will be wondering if you should wait for that one too. JUST GET IT!:D

I hope your wrong because I really want a Verizon 4G version. I don't really mind what I have to spend so I'll wait until March then decide what to do.

Ken7

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I hope your wrong because I really want a Verizon 4G version. I don't really mind what I have to spend so I'll wait until March then decide what to do.

I'm with you on this. I too want the LTE version and am willing to wait until March. By then we should have an idea if the unit is coming or not.

Rbitzer

Mar 24, 2011
Visit site
I bought my 7.7 wifi from www.atgsm.com in New York. They shipped the same day I ordered it and I received it the following day via UPS. I live in NJ so that's obviously not a long transit time but still it was great service. It is a tab from the UK and they included an adapter for the charging cable. FWIW I was able to register the tab on the UK website.

I had a P1000 to begin with and I am just loving this 7.7! You won't be sorry and I had a good experience with ATGSM....they sell the unlocked 3g P6800 as well.

Sent from my GT-P6810 using Tapatalk

Major

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
I just ordered the wifi + 3G version from Negri Electronics today, and it hadn't occurred to me that it might not come with a US compatible charger or a USB cable. Can anyone confirm if Negri supplies either or both of these?

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laila Nance