Verizon price drop for new Samsung Tab 7.7: now $349.99

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Just an FYI that Verizon is now selling a brand new Samsung Tab 7.7 tablet for a lower price of $349.99. Certified pre-owned price is $279.99.

I had recently purchased a new Tab 7.7 at a local Verizon store for $399.99 approx 2 weeks ago. I went back to the same Verizon store and asked for a discount for the current price difference, and got it, woohoo!! Verizon gave me a refund of $54.38 credited back to my Visa card.

The downside is that I ended up spending another $150 of accessories for my tablet at the Verizon store, such as a Belkin folio case (link here for more info: VZW Tab 7.7 with Belkin Case and Samsung Keyboard dock - xda-developers), plus the USB/SD card adapter combo (link here: Galaxy Tab), and a Motorola P4000 portable power pack (link here: MOTOROLA UNIVERSAL PORTABLE POWER PACKS - Motorola Mobility LLC. USA).

The Belkin folio case is made of really nice gray color leather with a tight fit and looks really professional. Only real downside is that it makes the entire package look and feel noticeably thicker. The USB/SD card adapter works well in copying files (eg: pictures, PDF files, Word doc) directly from a USB stick/SD card into the tablet's internal memory. The Motorola P4000 portable battery is able to charge the tablet anywhere on the go. I should note that this particular battery is able to correctly charge the tablet with the white lightening bolt showing up, as opposed to the red X for other portable power packs. It's strange that some battery packs work well, but others don't. I'm guessing maybe the amperage is different for various power packs.

Let me know if you guys have questions.

Casey

Last edited:

lsil

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi
Thinking of getting the 7.7 for days now, but worried about the ICS update. Did yours from Verizon come with the ICS already.
Thanks

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Hi
Thinking of getting the 7.7 for days now, but worried about the ICS update. Did yours from Verizon come with the ICS already.
Thanks

Welcome to the forum as I see it's your first post. Yes my tablet came with Android 4.0.4 already installed. The best I can suggest to you is to go to a local Verizon store to make sure your new tablet has the latest version before buying anything. I would not buy this tablet online if I were you. Good luck!

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi
Thanks
if you are not afraid of rooting and loading up custom unofficial software there is Jelly bean 4.1.2 and even 4.2.1 available.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
Hi
Thanks

I bought one from my local Verizon store about a month ago, and it had ICS 4.0.4, no worries. The sales guy who worked with me was absolutely great -- he knew what was going on, and he recognized that I was an advanced user. Truly, I had made my decision to get the Galaxy Tab 7.7, so I walked in, they had the tablet in stock, the guy got the transaction done quickly and effortlessly, and within about 15 minutes I was on my way with the super-cool tablet ready to set up and make it mine.

To have the really quite high-end Galaxy Tab 7.7 with a data plan, and its very useful size and shape, it's just a great handheld computer to take along with you everywhere you go. I'm absolutely happy and satisfied with mine.

Good luck!

lsil

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I have been to the Verizon store, and they are pretty useless.I had to explain to them what's going on.
I asked them about seeing what is on it, but they said they can't do that without activating it.Then the best is there is a 70.00 restocking fee if I want to return it..Thieves !
I have a tab 2 7 w/o 4g updated to JB, I like ICS better. I really just need the 4G for a trip I'm taking no wifi. I can buy another Tab 2 7 w/4g but I figured for another 50.00 I might as well buy the better 7.7. But if I'm going to have problems it's not worth it.
I really don't know how to root, I know there are videos, but still afraid.
Thanks
Still Contemplating.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I have been to the Verizon store, and they are pretty useless.I had to explain to them what's going on.
I asked them about seeing what is on it, but they said they can't do that without activating it.Then the best is there is a 70.00 restocking fee if I want to return it..Thieves !
I have a tab 2 7 w/o 4g updated to JB, I like ICS better. I really just need the 4G for a trip I'm taking no wifi. I can buy another Tab 2 7 w/4g but I figured for another 50.00 I might as well buy the better 7.7. But if I'm going to have problems it's not worth it.
I really don't know how to root, I know there are videos, but still afraid.
Thanks
Still Contemplating.

Actually, the Verizon rep doesn't really need to "activate" the tablet. Activating means to make the included 4g sim card activated for internet service, and be charged the monthly fee accordingly, if applicable. Simply ask the Verizon store rep to turn on the freaking device by pressing the top right button. Then go to Settings screen, and the about screen, and you will see which Android OS version the device is running. I was also told there would be a $70 (?) restocking fee, which I think is exhorbitant.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I have a tab 2 7 w/o 4g updated to JB, I like ICS better.

Agreed. I am utterly ASTONISHED at all of the whining about "no JB yet." JB TURNS YOUR TABLET INTO A PHONE INTERFACE, FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!! I don't want to touch JB with a ten foot pole -- I am HAPPY with ICS.

Now then. Have a look at this link:

i815.LP10 Ice Cream Sandwich for Verizon Galaxy Tab 7.7 Rolls Out in Next Week | Android Family

OK, got that?

My Verizon Galaxy Tab 7.7 box has a white label with four bar codes. The bottom one says "SW-VER." and below the bar code it says "i815.LP10."

Got it? Now off to the store you go.

And once again: Good luck.

lsil

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I have seen all links and posts about the update and all the problems with them. That was my issue. I new that all you needed to do was turn the deviceon and could know what version it is. My verizon store stinks. I spoke w another verizon kiosk, they willorder me on and turn it on to see, then I don'T have to accept it if it won't update.

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen all links and posts about the update and all the problems with them. That was my issue. I new that all you needed to do was turn the deviceon and could know what version it is. My verizon store stinks. I spoke w another verizon kiosk, they willorder me on and turn it on to see, then I don'T have to accept it if it won't update.

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

- - - Updated - - -

From my own experience, every Verizon store, including kiosks are all different in terms of customer response. Generally you will get better service/support at a local "corporate" store. A kiosk at a mall generally has limitations on what they can do. I simply go to a different Verizon store until I get the response I want. I have found it's not good to be loyal to any particular Verizon location because each one does things a little differently.

lsil

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I was in a corporate Store, and they seemed to be th worst. I have to find another .The guys at the kiosk were much more cust service friendly.I am reading about the Note 8 due out soom, might wait for that.
Thanks.

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site
I was in a corporate Store, and they seemed to be th worst. I have to find another .The guys at the kiosk were much more cust service friendly.I am reading about the Note 8 due out soom, might wait for that.
Thanks.

Does the Note 8 have sn OLED screen?

From my Galaxy Note 2 via Tapatalk

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site

DroidXcon

Oct 21, 2010
Visit site

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
I spoke w another verizon kiosk, they will order me on and turn it on to see, then I don't have to accept it if it won't update.

Hang on a second! Didn't you get my message? You just need to get your hands on a box for a new Galaxy Tab 7.7. On the "bottom" -- the bottom if you stand it up on end -- is a white label. This label has four bar codes on it, and the bottom one TELLS YOU IF IT HAS ICS OR NOT. The bottom one says "SW-VER.", and below the bar code it says i815.LP10.

All you have to do is see whether or not the code below the bottom bar code says i815.LP10 or not. You don't have to open the box. You don't have to turn the tablet on. You just need to look at that label on the box. You can walk into any store right now and ask them to hand you the box that they intend to sell to you. If that bottom bar code has i815.LP10, you have your hands on a Verizon Galaxy Tab 7.7 with ICS version 4.0.4.

Simple as that.

lsil

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Thoots, I guess I didn't know That the bottom code meant it had ICS.
I just hate this store. I've been there 3 times and now I think they look at me like I'm crazy.
There are supposidly new tablets coming out this spring. I know I'll buy one and the new one will be out the next week.
Thanks for all the help.

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
There are supposidly new tablets coming out this spring. I know I'll buy one and the new one will be out the next week.

I generally disagree with any concept of waiting for something new. The industry really figured out what is going on with tablets over the recent holiday season -- CHEAP tablets sell. The Galaxy Tab 7.7 is really a "premium" tablet -- with the best screen this side of the Apple retina display, a bigger yet not-too-big screen size, a bigger battery than anything else in the segment, and it's thinner than most any other Android 7-inch tablets. If you haven't seen the screen yet, you will be AMAZED at how much better it is than the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0's screen. Like you mentioned, it's well worth an extra fifty bucks. Just expect newer tablets to be cheap because they will have lower-quality screens, smaller batteries, cheaper build quality, and so on.

Plus, it has ICS -- anything new will be JB. As far as I see it, ICS is the last "tablet interface" version of Android we'll ever see. Google has made it clear that they're just going to stick with the phone interface for JB and subsequent versions.

So, I think the Galaxy Tab 7.7 is the best Android 7-inch tablet available, with the best Android operating system for tablets we'll ever see. I would advise anyone even remotely interested to run and get one before they're gone!

Casey Cheung

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I generally disagree with any concept of waiting for something new. The industry really figured out what is going on with tablets over the recent holiday season -- CHEAP tablets sell. The Galaxy Tab 7.7 is really a "premium" tablet -- with the best screen this side of the Apple retina display, a bigger yet not-too-big screen size, a bigger battery than anything else in the segment, and it's thinner than most any other Android 7-inch tablets. If you haven't seen the screen yet, you will be AMAZED at how much better it is than the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0's screen. Like you mentioned, it's well worth an extra fifty bucks. Just expect newer tablets to be cheap because they will have lower-quality screens, smaller batteries, cheaper build quality, and so on.

Plus, it has ICS -- anything new will be JB. As far as I see it, ICS is the last "tablet interface" version of Android we'll ever see. Google has made it clear that they're just going to stick with the phone interface for JB and subsequent versions.

So, I think the Galaxy Tab 7.7 is the best Android 7-inch tablet available, with the best Android operating system for tablets we'll ever see. I would advise anyone even remotely interested to run and get one before they're gone!

As everyone knows, electronic stuff usually gets better, faster, cheaper every 18 months or sooner. The nice thing about waiting for new stuff to arrive on the market is that you can either choose to buy the new gadget at premium prices, or buy the previous generation gadget for a discounted price. The new stuff usually pushes down the price of the older stuff. I've been buying computers since the 1990s when my first Toshiba Tecra laptop literally cost $6,000 (six thousand)!! The specs on that Tecra laptop compared to today's technology is laughable! I can't believe I actually paid $6,000 for a laptop back then! My last 2 latest brand new Sony laptops recently cost $450 and $699, what a difference!! Even just 7 to 10 years ago laptops were going for $2 to $3 thousand dollars. That's why my new Samsung 7.7 Tab at a cost of $349.99 seems like total chump change compared to yester-year! :)

lsil

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Hi Guys,
OK I bought one,I had to find another store because the local one said they did not have it, but I really don't believe them. Anyway, the Lp10 hint on the UPC code was great, so Thanks Thoots .It has 4.04 already installed, but it is already telling me it has an update.( did you update , and is that going to be JellyBean ? ). The only thing I don't like is the screen does not rotate quicky, and it seem to like the horizontal better. I spend over a 1.5hr in the verizon store, because they couldn't figure out how to give me a sim card w/o activating the device. (UNBELIEVABLE). Let me know if I should accept this update.
Thanks

thoots

Jul 22, 2012
Visit site
It has 4.04 already installed, but it is already telling me it has an update.( did you update , and is that going to be JellyBean ? ). Let me know if I should accept this update.
Thanks

Yes, there's a little update you get right away, and it IS NOT JB -- no worries about that at all. Go ahead and let it install.

Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2