SD card losing files

cplloyd42

Feb 4, 2014
Visit site
Hi,

Recently, several of my 32GB SanDisk microSD cards have been losing files. The space is not recovered and there are a whole lot of files sitting in LOST.DIR with obscure names (actually, just numbers). Not all files/folders are removed - the first ones copied seem always to remain.

I haven't been able to pin down the circumstances that cause this. The most recent was when I used Akimbo to play some audiobooks in .m4a format. I added the books to Akimbo's library, but when I went to play them, they faulted and I found that the folders containing these books, and a number of other folders with books that I hadn't added to Akimbo's library, had disappeared. However, for the best part of a week before this I was successfully using Akimbo to do exactly the same thing, albeit using a different microSD card, and no files/folders seem to have disappeared.

At other times, I have loaded the files on to the card(s) from my Windows PC using a card reader/writer. All files and folders are present when I unmount (dismount?) the card, but when I check the card on the tablet after mounting it, I find that all but the first few folders have vanished.

I can't work out what's different as I have been very successfully using Akimbo for the past 2 years in exactly this way using a good number of cards, all 32GB SanDisk??? I'm using a Samsung Galaxy 7.7, running Android 4.0.4.

Has anyone experienced this problem and is there a way to prevent it? A related question is: how do I recover the files in the LOST.DIR - they seem to be the right size for folders and the .m4a files.

Thanks in advance,
Paul.

Last edited:

anon(8114070)

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
My guess is your card is defective. I think I saw an app on the play store that would test the SD card. Look for it and see what it says. If you get a new card DO NOT get a 128GB for me I could not get it to work without tons of issues in my S5, I changed to a 64GB and all is working.

I use Listen Audiobook Play for my audiobook and store the books on the SD card. Because Google does not allow apps to write to the SD card without the developer and user jumping through hoops I add and remove books by connecting the phone to my PC via USB cable and just do it through a file manager. I have also used a SD adapter but this requires that I remove the SD card from my phone. It is easier to just do it with the USB connection.

Recovering stuff from the LOST.DIR is questionable but use a file manager (I use My Files and ES File Explorer). Note if you are using Android 4x (I'm not sure which version of 4) or 5x most likely you cannot write to the SD card. In this case just connect to your PC USB and manage it with the file manager on the PC. Sometimes a file in the LOST.DIR is OK but most often it is damaged. Copy the contents of LOST.DIR to your PC in some temp folder and see if you can open the the files there. If you can then I'd assume the file is good.

At other times, I have loaded the files on to the card(s) from my Windows PC using a card reader/writer. All files and folders are present when I unmount (dismount?) the card, but when I check the card on the tablet after mounting it, I find that all but the first few folders have vanished.
This is very much like the issues I had when I tried to use the 128GB card in my phone, I gave up and installed a SanDisk 64GB that I got from Costco.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Landers2