Allow Mock location setting?

Doncankook

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
The latest GPS receivers (Dual XGPS 150) require you to enable "Allow mock location" in the developer settings, but there isn't one! At least not on my Tab A with Android 9. I have devices that go back to Android 4, and it's on my Android 4 phone, but it was not on any newer versions (starting with 6.0)

So on the newer Android versions or devices. all you get is to select a mock provider app, and it does the "allow mock location" part for you.

Please don't tell me how to enable Developer Options, since I have already done that long ago. Allow Mock Locations chckbox is NOT in the Developer Options on a Tab A with Android 9.0 .

Last edited:

TheSameFarmerBob

Jun 8, 2019
Visit site
It's in the "Developer options". You have to go to the bottom of the list in Settings page, find "About tablet" go inside About look for "Software information", then scroll to "Build number", then tap it seven times. As your tapping it you'll see a little pop up on the bottom saying how many more times you've got to go before "Developer options" is turned on.

Once "Developer options" is turned on and you can access that, on my tablet with OS 9, those settings are in there. I saw them yesterday and wondered about them myself. I hope this helps.

Doncankook

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
I know how to enable Developer Options. What you saw was an option to select a mock location APP.

The fact is that an option for Allow Mock Locations is not there in Android 9.

By-the-way: if you manually disable the developer options, you'll have to go through the process of tapping the Build number entry again.

Last edited:

snowbank

Dec 8, 2020
Visit site
I hope this will help - I just went through this with on a Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 2, Android 9 because I want to connect to an external Bluetooth GPS. I followed TheSameFarmerBob directions to turn on developer mode. I installed a mock provider app: Bluetooth GPS. I used the Tab Active Bluetooth setting to connect to my external GPS. I went into Tab Active Settings, Developer Options (at bottom of Settings page) and under 'select mock location app' I selected my shim app, Bluetooth GPS. I launched the Bluetooth GPS app, selected the device to connect to (SXBlue GPS) and checked 'Enable Mock GPS Provider' in the Bluetooth GPS app. I think this is what you were trying to do.

Doncankook

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
Yes, I think using a bluetooth GPS provider application is the alternative way to "enabling a mock GPS location" when you tap the "enable mock GPS" checkbox or option.

It's just that developers are STILL starting with the Android 4.4 baseline applications, and we're way past that. In fact, GOOGLE requires everyone to update all applications to Android 10, probably because its so different from Android 4 that the resources are no longer available in Android 10.

If there is a problem, they give you a quote from the Android 4 operator's manual, which does you no good. The people (like me) look everywhere for the required setting which is now gone!

Developers just refuse to update their apps and their thinking & language/literature to go with the newest version of the OS.

BTW- most GPS receiver manufacturers also have their own mock GPS provider apps. DUAL has the SkyPro GPS app. Also, remember you can only have 1 BT device connected, so if you are navigating with the external BT GPS receiver, you can't use a BT earpiece to listen to the navigation instructions: you'll have to use a wired, powered speaker from the headphone jack.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
knowledge is power