Downloads not being retained

jdr37

Sep 15, 2020
Visit site
Galaxy Tab A tablet model SM-7590 downloads not stored on device. Problem seemed to start (not certain) after recent Samsung software update.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! I moved this from the S10 forum to the Tab A forum.

Do you mean that downloaded files disappear from the /Download directory after a few days? How can you tell -- are you looking in that directory with a file manager app?

If they files are disappearing, then make sure you don't have any native or 3rd party "Smart Cleaner" app active. Those apps often have an option to periodically clear out the Downloads folders, which can be a problem if you often use that folder to keep files, instead of moving them immediately to some other folder.

jdr37

Sep 15, 2020
Visit site
Thanks B. Diddy,
When the download is complete I can view/print the file by tapping the file from that page. No, I am not using either a file manager nor smart cleaner app. However, the files are no longer being stored anywhere in "My Files". All other previous files I have downloaded are still there. It's as if the new download was in a temporary folder and was never transferred to a permanent folder. As I said, this seemed to start after I received a
new Samsung security update on Sept.4th.

jdr37

Sep 15, 2020
Visit site
A couple of clarifications: 1) I am using the default android download manager, not a 3rd party, 2) these are PDF files found on FaceBook that are not being saved. Am using Firefox browser.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
There aren't really any 3rd party download managers -- the download manager is a system app. What I meant was which app you're using when you download these files -- it sounds like it's Firefox. Go to Settings>Apps, select Firefox, then Permissions -- is Storage turned on?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Where in My Files are you looking? My Files, like many other file manager apps, tries to automatically categorize various files (like Photos, Music, etc.) from various directories. It's possible that My Files can't look in the directory that Facebook is downloading its files to.

Use the Explore option in My Files (or use a 3rd party file manager like Total Commander) to look for a specific directory that Facebook is using to download files. It probably isn't /Download, which is the standard download directory. You might have to look through the subfolders of the /Android directory.