Super slow Tab A SM-T380

Brewerpaul2

Jun 16, 2021
Visit site
This formerly terrific tablet has become unbelievably slow. Apps open slowly, webpages open slowly or don't even open, etc. All other devices on my home network, including a Samsung A52, work fine. I've run all the diagnostics that SETTINGS provide in Android version 9. Done all the recommended things that online articles recommend-- deleted unused apps, etc. The only thing I haven't tried is restoring to factory settings because I don't want to lose all my apps, documents, etc.
What would happen if I did a BACKUP, then restored to factory settings, and RESTORED from that backup? Would that just make it as slow as ever?
If I bite the bullet and get a newer tablet, and set it up using that backup, would that one get buggy too? Thanks.

Brewerpaul2

Jun 16, 2021
Visit site
Thanks. I tried both of those but it's still the same.
Anyone got anything else?

If all else fails and I get a new Galaxy tablet, will Smart Switch transfer all my apps to the new device? Media?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
If you have an SD card inserted, try also unmounting the card (in Settings>Storage​) and removing it

Brewerpaul2

Jun 16, 2021
Visit site
I unmounted my SD card, but didn't physically remove it. That did seem to help somewhat, although I'm not sure why it should.
I looked into the storage on my tablet and found that I hadn't actually been using the SD for storage at all. There was nothing on it!
I moved some apps to the SD card to free up space on the internal storage, but a couple wouldn't load after that. I put them back onto the main storage.
Overall, I guess the tablet is still a BIT faster than it was. No major hurry to replace it, but down the road I may.
Another question-- If I do get a new Android tablet can I use Samsung's Smart Switch to transfer everything including apps to the new tablet, or does the new tablet HAVE to be another Galaxy? It looks like there are a lot of very nice Android tablets out there much less expensive than the Samsungs.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I can't say for sure why the SD card might affect the overall performance even if nothing is being saved to it, but it's definitely one of the things to try, so I'm glad it seems to help. If you want to use an SD card, you may want to look into getting a newer card that's considered high speed.

I don't think you can Smart Switch to a non-Samsung device.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you absolutely can. Samsung has placed the app in the Play Store, for use with any compatible Android device

But the app description says "Smart Switch gives you the freedom to move your contacts, music, photos, calendar, text messages, device settings and more to your new Galaxy device". https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.sec.android.easyMover&token=PoxpJrPc

In addition, the help page at Samsung says: "You may only transfer content from a non-Galaxy phone to a Galaxy phone with Smart Switch; it does not work the other way around." https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e%2520other%2520way%2520around&token=S_hptjPl.

I've never tried it, so I can't say for sure. Have you used it to transfer to a non-Samsung device? @mustang7757, what's your experience?

mustang7757

Super Moderator
Feb 6, 2017
Visit site
But the app description says "Smart Switch gives you the freedom to move your contacts, music, photos, calendar, text messages, device settings and more to your new Galaxy device". https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...s?id=com.sec.android.easyMover&token=8bW2lFjf

In addition, the help page at Samsung says: "You may only transfer content from a non-Galaxy phone to a Galaxy phone with Smart Switch; it does not work the other way around." https://forums.androidcentral.com/e...e%2520other%2520way%2520around&token=wPJz--1x.

I've never tried it, so I can't say for sure. Have you used it to transfer to a non-Samsung device? @mustang7757, what's your experience?
According to Samsung website you cant use it the other way around as highlighted in purple in screenshot , i don't use smart switch between device only smart switch on pc and cloud back upScreenshot_20220622-003733.jpg

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Akshay