Tab A 7 inch - Themes/colors/wi-fi questions

cnjvh

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Hi all,

1. Just picked up one of these for the wife for mother's day. First thing she wanted to do was change the theme. However, there is no Themes button where I would expect it to be. From what I've read, you can access the Themes section by either long pressing a blank area in the home screen or going to settings (should be under the Wallpaper button on the left pane menu).

The long press shows only 2 icons on the bottom of the screen - Wallpaper and Widgets. There is no themes button in the settings area. Any idea how to change themes?

2. If the theme can't be changed, can you at least change the color of all the title bars? Right now they are a default Samsung blue.

3. I repeatedly get a "failed to obtain IP address" error when trying to connected to my Linksys router. The router is dual band but I have multiple 2.4 only devices that have no problems with it (a Lumia 640, Lumia 520, and a Galaxy Grand Prime for instance). Is this a known issue?

Thanks!

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
I don't know this for certain, but I'm guessing the reason you can't change the theme is because the theme store is not available for your device...and likely won't be either. If you want to change the appearance of your tablet, you'll need to download a 3rd party launcher like Nova or Apex.

Not sure about your WiFi issue.

Posted via the Android Central App

srz1977

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Yes, there is no theme store for this device. The best thing to do is download Nova or Apex like Brew said. Don't know about the WiFi issue either.

Can you do me a favor since you have the device, I am thinking about picking one up as well. I am trying to figure out what processor this thing has in it. The specs say T-Shark 2A, but I can't find any information at all about it. Can you run the app CPU X on the tablet and tell me what processor this tablet has? It is free in the play store. I think it is some sort of Spreadtrum CPU. I am trying to find out the exact model of the CPU and cores, etc. Would appreciate it.

cnjvh

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Yes, there is no theme store for this device. The best thing to do is download Nova or Apex like Brew said. Don't know about the WiFi issue either.

Can you do me a favor since you have the device, I am thinking about picking one up as well. I am trying to figure out what processor this thing has in it. The specs say T-Shark 2A, but I can't find any information at all about it. Can you run the app CPU X on the tablet and tell me what processor this tablet has? It is free in the play store. I think it is some sort of Spreadtrum CPU. I am trying to find out the exact model of the CPU and cores, etc. Would appreciate it.

Thanks all for your help...I really appreciate it.

Cpu x reports a quad core 1.3 Ghz sc8830 with a clock speed of 768 MHz - 1.3 GHz.

srz1977

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Thanks all for your help...I really appreciate it.

Cpu x reports a quad core 1.3 Ghz sc8830 with a clock speed of 768 MHz - 1.3 GHz.

The SC8830 is indeed made by Spreadtrum.

Thanks for much for the information! Does it say what the GPU is on the device? I think it should be a Mali-400 MP2.

cnjvh

May 2, 2016
Visit site
The SC8830 is indeed made by Spreadtrum.

Thanks for much for the information! Does it say what the GPU is on the device? I think it should be a Mali-400 MP2.

Darn it...she already decided it wasn't for her so we returned it. Won't be able to check that.

srz1977

Sep 24, 2015
Visit site
Any reason why on the return? Is the tablet slow or laggy? I tried one out at Best Buy and it seemed pretty nice for the price.

Brew Swayne

Oct 30, 2015
Visit site
It's a nice, but very "entry level" tablet. You probably won't find anything nicer for the price, but I can also see any seasoned Android user finding this tablet to be a bit lacking.

I really miss my Note 8.0 (motherboard died, RIP) and Samsung for one reason or another decided not to make any more 8" Notes. If they did, I'd have gone that route over the 8" Tab A in a heartbeat. That said, I don't really have any complaints about this tablet at all (other than difficulty finding a nice, inexpensive case) given the price I paid for it.

Posted via the Android Central App