USB Port Spec

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Tab A is listed as having a microUSB 2.0 port. The converter you linked goes from a microUSB (female) to USB-C (male).

Doncankook

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
It's definitely not a USB 2 micro port. It doesn't matter which way you insert the connector. I think it's probably a USB- C port, not a USB 3.1, and they aren't interchangeable. :-\

For more details: https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2478121,00.asp

Remind me to buy a 3A USB-C charger. The older 2A USB-2 adapters will charge the newer devices, but not as quickly. And a USB 3 adapter for car charging.

Last edited:

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
The number doesn't matter (that just dictates transfer speeds and power levels supported), but you do need to check whether the plug type is miniUSB (really old, seldom used anymore), microUSB (still hugely popular with mobile devices), and USB-C (newer port, reversible, high-speed transfer, still very low adoption).

As for the charging speeds, you can buy the Ferrari of chargers, but if your device doesn't support those speeds, the charger defaults to 5V and whatever max current the device supports, so make sure you take that into account before dropping 50 bucks on a charger that will perform just as fast as a 5-dollar one because your device only supports standard charging.

And now I'm confused, which port doesn't 'fit'? The Charger's or the tablet's? Can you take a picture of it?

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
You're mixing definitions. USB-C is the connector type, while USB 3.1 is the data transfer/power protocol/spec. USB-C, while capable of doing the speeds claimed by USB 3.1, can, in fact, be using a lower standard like USB 2.0.

Same thing with some microUSB devices that support USB 3.0 transfer speeds.

Doncankook

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
I bought a USB-C charging wire today and it fits and works perfectly, so I'm sure the port is a regular USB-C port.

I just wish Samsung wold put that information in the documentation you get in the box.

Doncankook

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
I found out that the USB 3.1 spec uses the Type C USB plug, but it has different capabilities for charging current, data transfer speed, etc. The nice thing about USB-C is that you don't have to look at it to figure out how to orient the plug. The bad thing is that you need to buy USB C peripherals, like a camera, microphone, etc.

Does anyone know of any interesting or useful USB C peripherals, besides a camera/borescope?

Groundhog 2

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Nope, not true. The USB C connector will NOT fit the USB port on the TAB A which in fact uses a USB micro. For one thing the hole in the TAB A is a parallelogram shape, not the oval that is the USB C connector. USB C connectors are on the newer (like S8 cell phones) with the nice feature that they plug in either way, there is no upside down. The TAB A port is definitely NOT the same top/bottom and requires a plug-in to be right side up. As others have said (other than speed) you will never know whether it is a USB 3.0 or 2.0. I bought some USB micro to full size USB adapters so that I could utilize thumbdrives, etc. Works fine mechanically. System wise it is a different story due to the archaic Android file manipulation lack of features.

Doncankook

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
I don't think your information is correct, or you are confused somehow. You might be referring to an earlier device.
My tablet is the Tab A 8, SMT380, and it definitely has a USB C connector, not a mini or micro connector.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
The main question here is which exact Tab A model the OP of this thread was asking about. Since the OP was in July 2018, then I would assume they were asking about the 2018 Tab A 8.0 (SM-T387), and the official Samsung page specifies USB 2.0 (microUSB): www.samsung.com/us/business/support/owners/product/galaxy-tab-a-8-0-2018-at-t/
@Doncankook is correct that the SM-T380 does indeed have a USB-C port, but that's the 2017 Tab A 8.0, not the 2018 version: https://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_tab_a_8_0_(2018)-9665.php. Oddly enough, Samsung decided to revert back to microUSB for the 2018 version.

Doncankook

Jul 9, 2018
Visit site
They even took out the headphone jack! Or so I hear, on the newest devises. How do you listen to music or sounds with that ONE little speaker, or hear navigation instructions?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
For which device? From what I can tell, both the 2017 and 2018 Tab A have a 3.5 mm headphone jack. But for newer devices that don't have the jack, they're expecting you to use Bluetooth (or headphones with a USB-C connector/dongle).

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cloudsofmana