I think my Tab A 8 had Android 7 on it when I bought it, then was upgraded to Android 8 straight away.

I hear from some developers that they are programming for Android 9 now, so I wonder if we should expect another upgrade?

My old Nexus 7 2013 stopped getting "support" after it was upgraded to Android 6.0.1, which I thought was a very good version, with it's multiple audible notifications for each application, like battery alarms. Android 8 only allows ONE audible notification for any app.

Thanks.
    06-02-2019 09:51 PM
    I wouldn't count on it. One update is normally the limit (except maybe on some flagship devices). Google updates for 3 years, others aren't so generous. (Google has to for a while - they're developing Android on the current Pixel.)
    06-05-2019 05:49 PM
    It just did. AT&T rolled out earlier, Verizon just rolled it out last week. I have 2 issues though: 1) Everything became slower than acceptable, extremely unusable; 2) Hotspot tethering no longer works. I'm on Verizon, the error message is "Mobile number not found -- Contact your provider to subscribe". I spent an hour on the phone with Verizon support, then another hour at the local corporate store to try to reprovision mobile hotspot and couldn't fix it. Prior to dealing with support, I had already reset network three times, factory reset twice. Then I rolled back to Android 8 and hotspot tethering came right back. I put Pie on it to test again, and tethering went away again. One thing I haven't tried is to turn off/on hardware tethering under the Developer Settings section. I'll try that this weekend and see if that fixes it for Pie.

I think my Tab A 8 had Android 7 on it when I bought it, then was upgraded to Android 8 straight away.

I hear from some developers that they are programming for Android 9 now, so I wonder if we should expect another upgrade?

My old Nexus 7 2013 stopped getting "support" after it was upgraded to Android 6.0.1, which I thought was a very good version, with it's multiple audible notifications for each application, like battery alarms. Android 8 only allows ONE audible notification for any app.

Thanks.
    08-29-2019 08:53 AM
    I just received the update Android Pie on my Galaxy TabA I was able to delete the Kid Zone and an antivirus program that they had on the tablet so far so far it feels and run like it's brand new very smooth.
    09-13-2019 02:13 PM
    I grabbed the 32 gig Tab A 8" for my free gift from Samsung.
    I was really surprised how fast this thing is.

I just use it for the security cameras because an RCA trash tablet we had won from a raffle was still running
    Kit Kat. By the time it booted up, I'd have breakfast cooked.
    Slow as hell booting up. Anyway we
    gave it to my grandkids, then they moved to Florida and we got them the Tab S6.
    They love them.

Gave the RCA to the Library. Cleaned it all up and it didn't look bad at all. The young lady laughed and said I wish it was an iPad, we needed one.

My wife goes out and donates one to the library. I'm not saying nothing.

But the Tab A 8" I have is excellent for monitoring a home system.
    Installed wall mounts in living room, kitchen, bedroom and bathroom.

Where this goes, it's always recording and on. Thanks Samsung
    Running Pie One UI 1.1 on my Tablet A 8" 32 gig.
    What a steal
    09-13-2019 09:01 PM
    I just received the update Android Pie on my Galaxy TabA I was able to delete the Kid Zone and an antivirus program that they had on the tablet so far so far it feels and run like it's brand new very smooth.
    ""Yippee!!" My A6 is really doggin'. That would be great if 9 ups the performance . . .
    09-14-2019 02:30 AM
    I just installed the update to Android 9!

The thing still works, but there are some weird changes:

The clock is on the left end. There is NO UI Tuner.

The quick-settings toggle buttons are mixed up & different, but I was able to put it back to my usual (WiFi, BT, Rotate, Sync.) If I try to add a widget, it crashes, but I think it was due to the Home Launcher (Apex.) There are some new sounds for new events or notifications.

Except for the weird things, I think it will work.
    09-14-2019 01:48 PM
    For anyone with a Tab A and some knowledge:
    Is tere a way to get all those quick-lanch buttons out of the panel?? I only need about 5 spots, and there are about 30 buttons! Samsung decided you have to keep all of them, and you can only move a few to the 'hidden' area. I definitwly DON'T need Kids Mode, or Airplane, DNotDisturb, Dolbt Atmos, or Secure Folder!
    09-17-2019 08:25 AM