Tab Pro 10.1 running hot?

Lissbirds

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
I just got a Tab Pro 10.1 a week ago and I'm not too happy with it. Does it tend to run really hot? Anything from playing games to just browsing the Internet via Chrome makes the screen and back of the device get pretty hot. Also, Chrome runs pretty slow...it isn't much better than my sad little LG Optimus Elite phone that's been chewed by a dog. (Also I wish this tablet had a settings hot key like my phone.)

I was expecting a lot more from this device for the price. Is the overheating just something to be expected, or is mine defective?

I'm thinking of returning it and looking at some other tablets instead, possibly the Sony Xperia Z2 or the Nexus 10. Or maybe even the new Tab S. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks.

dc scotland

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Hi Lissbirds,

I have only had mine for a few days and have not been aware of it running hot. I am also a first time Chrome user and am fairly impressed so far with how fast it is. I have been using Firefox for years and so downloaded it to the tablet along with a few other browsers that were recommended, but none were anywhere near as fast as Chrome or the stock browser.

But my experience is even shorter than yours, so hopefully some of the longer term users may be able to help you out.

I did also look at the Xperia Z2 but opted for Samsung in the end. User and expert reviews seemed more favourable to the Samsung, and trying both out in store, I preferred the Samsung too. As far as price goes, the Sony was dearer at the time I made my purchase. But since last week, the Samsung has been increased by £70 and the Sony decreased by £90, so the Sony currently wins on price.

Science Aperture

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
If you're using your tablet with a microSD card inserted, try removing it and see if that makes a difference. If it does, it may be the system indexer going through the files on your SD card. You can download a System Monitor fro the market to verify if that's the case. I like the one by Christian Gollner, there's a lite version available. The app screen you'd be interested in is called "Top Apps". If the system indexer is the culprit, it will show up there.

Lissbirds

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I didn't have an sd card installed, but it's good to know about that. I actually wound up returning it. I see the Tab S is coming now and I might take a look at that.

Lissbirds

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. I hope your tablet is working well for you. No stores around me have the Z2 to try out. I wound up returning the Samsung...not worth the price, only 2 gb ram. I'm starting to trust reviews less and less, at least the professional ones, as I think some are promoted.

Chrome is much faster than Firefox. You might want to try Opera on your tablet, too--nice UI and quite fast.