I have a game that I play on my tablet, that has an iphone version also. It works great. The game makes a beeping sound whenever something happens in it, and I have disabled that on the iphone, but it also makes a sound on the tablet, and I'd like to keep it from making a sound there also. I think on the iphone it was as simple as adjusting the app's permissions, but I don't seem to be able to do that one the tablet. I've found in the App's info, it tells me what permissions it has, but I can't figure out how to adjust them. Anyone else know how to do what I want to do? Either adjusting permissions, or preventing it from notifying me of an event and making a sound?

thanks
    12-12-2014 02:38 PM
    Look in the app's Settings. If there's no way to turn the sound off, there may be a way to choose the sound. A 0.01 second mp3 of silence is as good as a symphony, as far as the phone is concerned, so having one such file in the phone can let you choose silence for any app that makes you choose some sound file. (You can use Ringtone Maker on the phone or Audacity: Free Audio Editor and Recorder on a PC to create the file.)
    12-12-2014 03:22 PM
    I'm not sure which settings you're talking about. This whole not-being-able-to-alter-permissions thing seems to be a major failing of the Android OS, unless there's something I don't know. The only way I know to even SEE the permissions is to tap and hold on an app, and then drag it into the App Info in the top center. Am I missing something? As far as creating a sound that is silent, it requires changing the sound that the app uses, to that one instead. But if I can't change the sound that is associated with that notification, it's useless.
    12-12-2014 06:09 PM
    This bit at: Everything You Need to Know About Managing App Permissions on Android
    in the section called Restrict Notification Permissions

Is exactly what I need. I figured out how to where I needed, even though it says " open the Settings app, tap Apps" there is no place called Apps. I went to the General Tab, Application Manager, found my app, and then imagine my surprise when it was the exact same dialog box as when I drag an app into the top-center App Info.

I dunno, I think that knowing how to do stuff too well in the iOS is what is killing me here, because no concepts are even close to similar, and in fact nothing on this tablet is even in the same place as most howto things I read about online for Android. I think perhaps there are too many Samsung customizations. Can you tell that I'm starting to get frustrated?
    12-12-2014 06:35 PM