Wi-Fi direct connect

brettt777

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to figure out a way to connect my Tab Pro to my smart phone for internet service without paying for a hotspot. I've been told that it's doable but not sure how. I have connected them using "Wi-Fi direct connect". It says they are connected (my phone is an LG G2 which I absolutely hate and can't wait to go back to a Samsung phone later this year) but I'm not sure what to do with this connection. What does Wi-Fi direct connect do for me?

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
It connects the phones on a hardware level. This doesn't give either device the ability to use the other one to get to the internet, it's used for things like transferring files or using a TV set as the screen for the device.

Using one device to provide an internet connection for the other device is normally detectable by the carrier, and data to and from the device not paying for internet service is just ignored by the carrier. It doesn't matter what you do on your end, the carrier detects that the data isn't for (or from) the device with internet access and drops the data.

brettt777

Apr 29, 2014
Visit site
Oh I understand about the hot spot and I would do that if I didn't have to pay for it. That's not worth it to me at this point. I way just trying to figure a way around it without being illegal and came across this wi-fi direct connect and wondered what it was. So if I have the devices connected direct, should I beach able today's see them as a separate drive on the others device, like an ether net setup?