Outbound Auth Error setting up stock Email App on Tab 12.2.

stacr

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi All,
I have an email address that is part of a Google account, but not gmail.
Ex, Name@ABCRealty.com

I added my email to the Samsung app on my S10 phone, no problem.

When I did the same on my Tab 12.2, the Inbound works great.
But the Outbound I get an Authentication Failed error.
Inbound is IMAP.gmail.com / SSL / 993
Outbound defaulted to SMTP.ABCRealty.com / SSL / 465
I received an error, but was able to still set up the email. Outbound server does not respond.

I then tried to use the same format as the Inbound, SMTP.gmail.com / SSL / 465, but that's where the Authtentication error failure notice popped up, and asked to Edit Details. I was not able to 'continue anyway'.

I checked the settings on the phone and outgoing is smtp.gmail.com / SSL / 465. I would have thought it'd be the same for the Tab..
I don't know why the phone was a breeze and the Tab has issues.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Android Apps forum to the Tab Pro 12.2 forum since the former is intended for developers to promote their apps.

Which email provider supports the ABCRealty.com account? Did you make sure to enter the correct password for the outbound server? I've found that even though many email programs say it's "optional," it can cause problems if you don't enter it.

stacr

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Hi,

Thank you for moving my inquiry to the appropriate forum.

The provider supporting ABCRealty.com is Google.
The Inbound IMAP worked perfectly with imap.gmail.com

I just tried the Outbound again, smtp.gmail.com and I re-entered the password to confirm.

Received the same Authentication Failed Error

stacr

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Is TLS an option? This article says the SMTP server uses TLS, not SSL: https://developers.google.com/gmail/imap/imap-smtp

I did try both TLS; TSL and TSL (Accept all Certificates) as well as both SSL options.
TLS with:
Port 465, I recevieved, "Server Does Not Support Authentication" error
Port 587 - "Authentication Failed" error

I set the email on my phone no problem, the Tablet is an issue.
I may have to try it through Outlook instead of Samsung's app...

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
What version of Android is that tablet running? I wonder if this could be related to the version being outdated. If this is the SM-T900, it looks like the highest it could have possibly gotten was 5.1.1, which is pretty old by today's standards.

stacr

Jul 27, 2016
Visit site
Yes, you are correct, it is 5.1.1 version.
I just checked the other gmail account I had linked to the tablet, and it also isn't working now. :(
Thank you for being persistent on helping finding a resolution or explanation. Sadly, it being 'old' wasn't what I was hoping to hear.