How do I change to a larger sd card?

Traveler747

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
Hello!
I have a 36 gb micro sd card in my Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2. When I first insertrd it I didn't format it or name it, but I moved a lot of apps to it anyway. Not naming it has caused me a lot of confusion. Now it's full, so I got a 64 gb card that's also faster. I'd like to do this right this time. I have an adapter that fits in the USB port, so I put the card in and formatted it. I couldn't name it though and now the tablet recognizes the new card as "USB A". Sooo...

1) How do I give the new sd card a name like Sandisk_64gb_GtabPro?
2) How do I swap the old card for the new one without reinstalling all of my apps?

I'm totally confused.

Thanks!

SamCarterX302

Sep 8, 2014
Visit site
2) to copy data between the two cards, I recommend using a computer. Use a USB card reader (or if your laptop has an SD card slot, the adapter that probably came with your micro sd card). You can simply copy/paste all the data from the smaller card to the bigger card.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Since you used the Move to SD feature to move a portion of apps to the SD card, I'm not sure if you can simply drag and drop the folders and files to a new SD card. Doing so might break the symlink between the main part of the app on Internal Storage and the portion that was stored on the SD. You might have to move the apps back to Phone Storage, then put the new SD card in and move the apps back to SD.

Traveler747

Nov 29, 2016
Visit site
Thanks B. Unfortunately I don't have room to do that. Looks like I'll be reinstalling and moving. PAIN IN THE ***! Lol ;-)

How 'bout naming the card? This ain't Windows Explorer!

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Another option is to use something like Helium to back up the app data, uninstall the apps from the phone, swap out to the bigger card, reinstall the apps, move them back to SD, and then restore the app data.

I'm not sure if there's a way to name a card using Android. Are you unable to rename it when it's inserted in the computer?

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbyworkman1995