Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4: $399? That's gotta be a typo ...

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Even the Note 8 isn't that expensive, and that has a stylus. Wonder when they will actually post the REAL price ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
Re: $399? That's gotta be a typo ...

I don't think it is, but I think you're right. Anything priced over about $150 and the Nexus 7 is a better deal. Sammy got confused? ;)

worknman

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site

Heh, I wouldn't go that far. I passed on the Nexus 7 2013, after Google decided to put a giant-*** bezel on it and give the middle finger to those of us that like using tablets in portrait mode. To be honest, I'd gladly pay $300 for the Tab Pro, but for $399, I could get an iPad Mini, and we all know how overpriced that thing is :p

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Heh, I wouldn't go that far. I passed on the Nexus 7 2013, after Google decided to put a giant-*** bezel on it and give the middle finger to those of us that like using tablets in portrait mode. To be honest, I'd gladly pay $300 for the Tab Pro, but for $399, I could get an iPad Mini, and we all know how overpriced that thing is :p

Remember the tab 3 8.0 was price at $299 when first released. Had to expect this tanlet would be at least $100 more, so this comes at no suprise. I agree, it's a bit over priced as are all samsung tabs. Pound for pound this looks like more bamg for the buck than the tab 3 8.0 was however. Tha sad thing is that samsungs usually don't drop in price that much, even after being out for a year or more. I think at $349ish they would have a real hot selling tablet with this.

I am contemplating getting this, but I just got my tab 3 8 set up where I want it and am enjoying it just fine for now. It's still tempting though. :)

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

Consider the LG G Pad is $349.99 retail, its only $50 more and you get quite a good spec increase

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Consider the LG G Pad is $349.99 retail, its only $50 more and you get quite a good spec increase

I think you're right. That's why I said if they sell it at the same price as the gpad it would be a hell of a seller.

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Exactly what I came to post, granted I felt the G pad should have been $299 and realistically the tab pro should be $349 but spec wise its worth the price on paper. Certainly on par and better in many ways compared to the Ipad Mini which is the same price.

Will be interested to see how it reviews, Samsung better have made a lot of changes to the software and hopefully lets bloat especially to compete with the mini at the same price point.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site

I ended up buying a Note 2014 32gb. Samsung refurbished for $419, I think that's better value for money, the 16gb is $389

Posted via Android Central App

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

Will be interested to see how it reviews, Samsung better have made a lot of changes to the software and hopefully lets bloat especially to compete with the mini at the same price point.

You hit the nail on the head with this part of your post. Spec bumps are great, but if the UI experience is so bad that it drowns out the benefit of those increased specs, the bumps are meaningless. Based on my past experiences using TouchWiz (on both phones and most recently on the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), I'd keep my LG G Pad GPE vs. this new Tab Pro 8.4 every time. Hopefully reviews show that Samsung has finally listened to their critics, trimmed down the bloat and optimized the over experience. I'm not holding breath.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

You hit the nail on the head with this part of your post. Spec bumps are great, but if the UI experience is so bad that it drowns out the benefit of those increased specs, the bumps are meaningless. Based on my past experiences using TouchWiz (on both phones and most recently on the Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014), I'd keep my LG G Pad GPE vs. this new Tab Pro 8.4 every time. Hopefully reviews show that Samsung has finally listened to their critics, trimmed down the bloat and optimized the over experience. I'm not holding breath.

Keep in mind you can always use a custom launcher. I use Nova Prime on my S4 and it works great. And I plan to do the same thing on the Tab Pro. But I will give the new Magazine UX a chance first.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

I actually always use a launcher on all of my Android devices, NOVA Prime to be specific. But using a launcher doesn't remove the bloat or lag created by a poor implemented UI--like giving a rusty, broken down car a new coat of paint. It hides some of the blemishes but doesn't change how the car runs.

DanPLC

May 25, 2011
Visit site

I actually always use a launcher on all of my Android devices, NOVA Prime to be specific. But using a launcher doesn't remove the bloat or lag created by a poor implemented UI--like giving a rusty, broken down car a new coat of paint. It hides some of the blemishes but doesn't change how the car runs.

I have high hopes for the Tab Pro running smoothly since my S4 (running a slower processor) still runs smoothly even though it has TouchWiz.

Tbayrgs

Jul 9, 2012
Visit site

Well, regardless of my prior experiences with TouchWiz, I'll reserve judgement until we have some first-hand reviews and I can get actually get some hands-on time. I just don't have high hopes. And smooth performance is only part of the equation, at least for me personally. I hate the TW theme as well and while a launcher disguises some of it, it doesn't change the layers beyond the home screens. The notification panel alone is enough to keep me away.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Battery life is the achielles heel of this tablet, in my opinion 10 hours of usage should be the minimum on tablets nowadays yet the 8.4 only managed 7:30.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

MrSlippery519

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site

Battery life is the achielles heel of this tablet, in my opinion 10 hours of usage should be the minimum on tablets nowadays yet the 8.4 only managed 7:30.

I agree battery life is one of the most important factors, that said the 7 + hours was continuous usage. So you could watch a 7.5 hour movie non-stop before the tablet died. Day to day usage I am sure we will see 2 days.

Now all that said the Ipad mini sees better numbers in the 10 hour + range, so it is a factor.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Continuous usage of 7.5 he's is not bad at all. This tablet should have had NFC,Wireless charging and 3gb's of ram to be perfect. Now that would be "pro".

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

Continuous usage of 7.5 he's is not bad at all. This tablet should have had NFC,Wireless charging and 3gb's of ram to be perfect. Now that would be "pro".

Good luck getting 7:30 of usage out of the tablet, those test results are practically impossible to replicate in a real life scenario as those results are preformed in a closed environment with nothing installed on the device. You should be happy to achieve 5:30 of usage with this tablet but once you factor in the LTE version that is going to drop even further. 3D games will slaughter this tablets battery life quite a bit, the small battery size coupled with the high resolution display and thirsty Adreno 330 GPU will prevent you from gaming for more than 2-4 hours on this tab.

brosko

Nov 30, 2013
Visit site

Good luck getting 7:30 of usage out of the tablet, those test results are practically impossible to replicate in a real life scenario as those results are preformed in a closed environment with nothing installed on the device. You should be happy to achieve 5:30 of usage with this tablet but once you factor in the LTE version that is going to drop even further. 3D games will slaughter this tablets battery life quite a bit, the small battery size coupled with the high resolution display and thirsty Adreno 330 GPU will prevent you from gaming for more than 2-4 hours on this tab.

All the more reason it should be qi wireless charging compatible. Then it would be a non issue, as every little break you take from using it you would just sit it down on the charger. This is what I do currently with my nexus 7. Battery life issues to me no longer exist.

msavic6

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site

All the more reason it should be qi wireless charging compatible. Then it would be a non issue, as every little break you take from using it you would just sit it down on the charger. This is what I do currently with my nexus 7. Battery life issues to me no longer exist.

What about when you are on a plane? Outdoors? What do you do when you don't have a charger around? That is not a solution to the problem but a bandaid in some specific situations. I looked at the battery stats on my dads iPad Air and he is at 5 days of standby and 12 hours of usage with 19% battery left, this is with LTE data used during the day and WiFi in the evening.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci