virus protection

mmo668668

Apr 1, 2014
Visit site
okay, feeling very silly even in asking this question, but I just now realized my new tablet probably doesn't have virus protection...unless it is included in something I haven't figured out yet on it! did everyone buy their own or should I be pleasantly surprised that there might be something on there I don't know about yet!? any suggestions on what you like using? thank you in advance.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! You'll get a lot of differing opinions about this. It's still very rare to get an actual virus on your Android device, because you have to approve of the installation of that infected app--there aren't any "drive-by" viruses on Android (yet). If you install apps from well-established sources like Google Play or Amazon Appstore, the chances of installing an infected app is extremely low, since they both do a lot of vetting of those apps before allowing them to be installed. If, on the other hand, you install apps from less reputable sources (like downloading a free installer file of an app that is normally not free, from some filesharing site), then you will have a higher chance of getting some kind of virus.

You can still end up installing annoyingware from legitimate sources (e.g., apps that include popup ads on your homescreen), because that isn't considered to be malware per se. You can avoid this by reading the app's reviews carefully, looking for complaints of adware.

So many will argue that you don't need an antivirus app as long as you're careful about your sources. My view is that malware authors are probably some of the most ingenious people around (and it's sad that they don't use their intellect to make the world a little better), and that it's hard to predict the evolution of Android malware. So it isn't a bad idea to install a good security app, thereby outsourcing that concern to people who are experts in the field (like Lookout, Kaspersky, AVG, Avast, etc.). These security apps often have handy antitheft and recovery features as well--for example, with Lookout, if someone tries to unlock your phone unsuccessfully 3 times in a row, it will take a picture with the front facing camera and email it to you, showing you who is trying to unlock the phone.

kalo88

Jun 20, 2013
Visit site
If you go onto the samaung store app you can get AVG PRO for free when it's normally ?8.99. I don't personally use one on my tablet

Posted via Android Central App

debonu

Jun 24, 2011
Visit site
Just like anything else usually (not always) as long as you are sticking to well known apps from valid sources you should be fine. But the amount of mobile malware is growing. And you will find malicious apps on Play. There have been several with discovered malware that had over 1 million downloads.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

Pokaroo

Mar 9, 2014
Visit site
I usually toss on avast, seems to be pretty decent along with them having a device locater/wiper as well. As a bonus it has a device section which shows all of my devices that have avast installed, incl my desktop pc's. Great tool to keep tabs on everything, especially if you lose your tablet/phone you can quickly find/disable..etc from the avast app.

Cleanmaster is another tool that i also seem to be using.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelsea rae