Galaxy Tab S 8.4 VS Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4

CehowardNote7

Apr 27, 2013
Visit site
I love my Tab Pro 8.4. No negative issues. I only wish I waited and got it for $279 instead of $399 a couple months ago.

Sent from Frope's G Pro.

Yup, I am in the same boat as you are.. I came from tte10.1 2014 which was super good, but the Tab Pro 8.4 won with its size.. I travel on two wheels 95% of the time. Size does make a difference.

Also, I am a week pass my 15 day return window. If WE were in our return window, we would get the refund of the difference. I only paid $349.95 + tax for mine.. I heard the Tab S had 3.0 too..
The Tab Pro is doing its job.. Will stay here until they come with a 8.5 with 4gb ram, amold, and 128 sd support..

Billy95Tech

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
It is a great tablet but i have a Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 and it is great and very happy with it but with the same specs and extra GB of RAM(3GB) and a Super AMOLED display on the new Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4(is a great tablet)

I think it is a hardly a upgrade from my Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4 so i won't be buying the Tab S or a new tablet for a very long time.

Over a month ago i upgraded from my old Galaxy Tab 2 7 to my Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 8.4, now that's a big upgrade! :D :D

Last edited:

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I love my Tab Pro 8.4. No negative issues. I only wish I waited and got it for $279 instead of $399 a couple months ago.

Sent from Frope's G Pro.

Perhaps I should wait for Samsung to release a new Note 8.0 tablet with SuperAMOLED in September/Ocboer. :) By then the Tab S 8.4 will be on sale for $279.

mpayne2k

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Could someone explain to me why the Tab Pro 8.4 only gets around 7 hours on battery yet the Galaxy Tab S gets around 12 according to recent reviews? All they did was bump the battery 100mAh... Is it the processor/screen or something I'm not aware of?

jmontagu13

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I haven't read all that many reviews, but Anandtech is one of the most respected sites and found the battery on the Tab Pro to be competitive in video watching and even better when browsing on wifi.

The CPU is completely different between the two tablets and the screen is a different technology, so that would explain any differences as the battery size is about the same (as you said).

AnandTech | Samsung Galaxy Tab S Review (10.5 & 8.4-inch)

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
The AnanTech article convinced me to keep my Tab Pro 8.4 for the time being. The upgrades, while nice, have some pros and cons. I'm happy with my tablet overall

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
The AnanTech article convinced me to keep my Tab Pro 8.4 for the time being. The upgrades, while nice, have some pros and cons. I'm happy with my tablet overall

The same article convinced me that I made the right choice
in ordering the Galaxy Tab S 8.4. It has the best battery life
of all tablets test. (for my #1 intended use of watching videos) :)
I can probably watch my collection of 720p MKV videos nonstop
while on the 15-hour nonstop flight from Los Angeles to Sydney
next month! :)

64853.png

mpayne2k

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the link to the reviews. It makes sense now why video playback helps the over all battery life for the tab s. I'm content with my tab pro 8.4 though after seeing the graphics comparisons.

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk

bosotros

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I went to Best Buy last week and saw both 8.4" tabs side by side (S and Tab Pro) I didn't know that the Pro was on sale, I just wanted to see what the displays looked like and was glad they had a sample of each one with the exact same stuff loaded on them. Every critical observation I could make put the Tab Pro in the lead. The S had oversaturated colors and what looked like less detail in a very intricate drawing of a lizard they had in their demo. The fine lines in the drawing were smeared slightly on the S but razor sharp on the LCD Pro. I decided to buy the Tab Pro just based on the displays, I guess I'm not ready for the AMOLED's yet. I was really pleasantly surprised that it was on sale for $279 and I got the last black one they had, plus she gave me a black Samsung cover for $20 off. I'm very happy with the whole experience. Also, I gotta admit I didn't like the way the S looked either, the gold trim looked cheap to me and the gold around the home button made it look like a retro cosmetic case or something. The back panel on the S and the gold turned me off but the guts and display is what I really cared about. I couldn't get the Pro to lag or appear slower compared to the S. Turns out the case for the Tab Pro is nicer too, it doesn't have the buttons in the back or the fold-over flap.

mpayne2k

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Be sure to get back to Best Buy and get the price match for the $249.99 sale. Will net you back $30 plus tax!!! This is an in store only sale. Not sure when it ends, but my guess is they're clearing inventory of the Pro 8.4s.

bosotros

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Be sure to get back to Best Buy and get the price match for the $249.99 sale. Will net you back $30 plus tax!!! This is an in store only sale. Not sure when it ends, but my guess is they're clearing inventory of the Pro 8.4s.
Going tonight, thanks for the prod. It will have been 13 days so I'm still inside the return period. Should be okay eh?

mpayne2k

May 5, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they do 14 day price guarantee. I believe 30 day returns are standard. So even if they fight you on the price match, you could just return one and buy at the lower price.

bosotros

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
Wow, that was easy. The guy knew immediately and had the refund typed up before I could even finish explaining what I was there for. They took the Tab Pro 8.4 display off the floor, probably it was killing the sales of the Tab S. The 10 inch Tab Pro was tagged at $499, same as the Tab S.
There's nothing else in the store that compares at $249... great deal.

jessesnyder6

Jul 11, 2014
Visit site
I just bought the Tab S 8.4 a few days ago. Was just about to buy the Tab Pro 8.4 when I realized the speakers are both on the top (portrait) so that when watching movies in landscape mode all the sound would be coming from one side. Total deal breaker. With the Tab S 8.4 the speakers are on the left and right in landscape mode for proper stereo without headphones. Worth the extra $70 just for that if you ask me. By the way the Tab Pro 10.1 has the speakers on the left and right in landscape but it was out of stock... As for battery life, the reason the Tab S excels is that the octa-core processor is actually two quad-core processors used in tandemn, but uses only one at a time. The 1.9 ghz quad-core is for big jobs and the 1.3 ghz quad-core is for basic tasks. Thus preserving battery power by only using the 1.3 ghz most of the time and only using the bigger cores when necessary.

storino03

May 31, 2010
Visit site
I have a JBL Flip Bluetooth Speaker that I use and the sound is leaps and bounds better (even better than Kindle Fire HD). Sure, it's another thing to carry around, but I rather have full, rich bass sound, than sound from crappy tablet speakers from the S or Pro line.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kirk781