Google Now Launcher: UI replacement

anon(757282)

Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Love the Samsung Tab Pro 8.4. Replaced my aged Motorola XYBoard for GPS aircraft nav system (Garmin Pilot). But I hated the Magazine UX.

Installed the Google Now Launcher from Play Store. Installed fine and now I have a clean home page with on Now screen that is less busy. Much better interface for daily use, including task bar at bottom with most used apps.

Any idea which Samsung UI apps can be disabled to get back some more RAM and storage? Without rooting.
Thx.

Posted via Android Central App

wolfier

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
As soon as you set the new launcher as the default and force close TouchWiz, it won't use any memory.

If you want to free some storage, clear TouchWiz's cache and data. You'll have to recreate your workspace shortcuts and widgets if you ever decide to switch back to TouchWiz, though.

TouchWiz is a system app and it cannot be uninstalled. It won't save you space anyway because it resides in the system partition that you cannot use. So just leave it there.

Love the Samsung Tab Pro 8.4. Replaced my aged Motorola XYBoard for GPS aircraft nav system (Garmin Pilot). But I hated the Magazine UX.

Installed the Google Now Launcher from Play Store. Installed fine and now I have a clean home page with on Now screen that is less busy. Much better interface for daily use, including task bar at bottom with most used apps.

Any idea which Samsung UI apps can be disabled to get back some more RAM and storage? Without rooting.
Thx.

Posted via Android Central App

contrasteve

Mar 9, 2013
Visit site
I tried the Google Now launcher and it's ok, I guess... but I have Next Launcher on my Note 3 and my S3 before that and the Google launcher just wasn't as flexible or customizable as I have become accustomed to so since the 8.4 is like a Note 3 on steroids I loaded Next on it.