Wifi not working "AP currently not in use. Internet connection too slow."

mindxing

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site
I am having the same problem and it seems to only be affecting some devices. I am seeing the failure on 3 galaxy tablets and 2 galaxy phones, 1 HTC phone and partial failure on a iPod touch. At the same time I'm seeing perfectly fine wireless connections on various laptops (toshiba, gateway, lenovo, yoga) and phones (alcatel). The strange thing with the iPod touch is that it will connect to some sites (google, apple, youtube) but not others (disney, espn, cnn). The the ones that it can't connect to the iPod says "server not available".

I have tried all of the things mentioned already in this post (except the date thing cause I can't find that setting on the tablet, it's not there under date settings) and this hasn't fixed anything. I've also gone through the troubleshooting guide that is linked in the previous posts and that doesn't help.

In all cases it appears that I'm having trouble in the "obtaining IP address" phase. All of the devices are able to access and create the wireless connection to the router. They just can't get past the next step.

Everything has been working fine for months. I just noticed this failure starting yesterday. I haven't made any changes that I know of to my home network setup.

Any help would be appreciated.

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Re: Wifi not working "AP currently not in use. Internet connection too slow."

I am having the same problem and it seems to only be affecting some devices. I am seeing the failure on 3 galaxy tablets and 2 galaxy phones, 1 HTC phone and partial failure on a iPod touch. At the same time I'm seeing perfectly fine wireless connections on various laptops (toshiba, gateway, lenovo, yoga) and phones (alcatel). The strange thing with the iPod touch is that it will connect to some sites (google, apple, youtube) but not others (disney, espn, cnn). The the ones that it can't connect to the iPod says "server not available".

I have tried all of the things mentioned already in this post (except the date thing cause I can't find that setting on the tablet, it's not there under date settings) and this hasn't fixed anything. I've also gone through the troubleshooting guide that is linked in the previous posts and that doesn't help.

In all cases it appears that I'm having trouble in the "obtaining IP address" phase. All of the devices are able to access and create the wireless connection to the router. They just can't get past the next step.

Everything has been working fine for months. I just noticed this failure starting yesterday. I haven't made any changes that I know of to my home network setup.

Date and time can be found under Settinga -->general-->date and time.

Any help would be appreciated.

Typically the "obtaining ip address" message, but then never connecting indicates an incorrect password on your tablets wifi log in. Why some of your devices will log in but some won't is a bit of a mystery. I would try forgetting the connection and then trying to reconnect again. Also connecting to some websites but not others indicates you may have an incorrect date and time set up on your tablet. Be sure the time zone is right too. You might try rebooting the router as well. Unplug it. Wait 2 minutes and then plug it in again.

I know you said you have tried everything but from what you have described i think this is your issue. The date and time thing is very important.

Date and time can be found under Settings-->General-->Date and Time.

Sent from my SM-T320

Last edited:

mindxing

Dec 29, 2013
Visit site

Thanks for the responses. The issue is fixed. Last night we had a power failure (due to weather) for about 30 seconds. After the power came back on everything was able to connect. I am guessing that my wireless router needed a power cycle. I had tried that already but I only left the device unplugged for 3 seconds or so. I didn't know that it would matter to have it off longer. I guess it did.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

I typically unplug the router for about 10 seconds, then plug it back in again, which is akin to a soft reboot. Other authorities (like our resident tech wizard Rukbat) suggest the "10-10-10" procedure to do a true router reset:

1. Press and hold the router's reset button for 10 seconds.
2. While still holding the reset button, unplug the router's power and wait for 10 seconds.
3. While still holding the reset button, plug the router back in, and keep holding reset for another 10 seconds.

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site

Use caution when hitting the reset button. That will reset the router to factory default and you will have to set it up again just like when it was new. You will lose all your user created passwords and router settings. If rebooting doesnt fix it that might be a last resort. Just unplugging and plugging it back in should do it and you wont lose any settings.

A good practice is to
unplug the router
Shut down all devices on the network
Tablets, computers, chromecasts, phones, whatever
Then boot up the router
Wait for it to fully boot
Then boot up all devices one at a time.

I'm pretty sure the 10 10 10 thing is used when flashing a custom firmware to the router. It insures the memory iscompletely cleared so you dont get any errors when you flash it. I updated an old linksys wrt router to tomato firmware once upon a time and that was part of the instruction.
Sent from my SM-T320

Last edited:

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site

Yes, I agree with that. I typically just do the soft reboot. But if that doesn't help, then the factory reset of the router might still be useful.

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Hi...your info was spot on perfect and I'm re-connected!! Thanks and much appreciated! :)

Welcome to Android Central! Whose info are you referring to? It'd help to know, since others will check out this thread as well.

johna2u

Jan 4, 2012
Visit site
Welcome to Android Central! Whose info are you referring to? It'd help to know, since others will check out this thread as well.

It's a mystery. Almost seems like a spam post due to its generic non specific nature and being a first post. . But it does refence a connection issue and there is no "check out my link" comment. Hmmm.

Sent from my SM-T320

toiler

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I found a different solution for my S5. Turn off "Smart Network Switch " at the top of the wifi was the cure for me.
It kept switching to LTE which might be faster than my wi-fi.

Darik21

Feb 8, 2015
Visit site
I went to visit my son, and logged onto his wifi. The tablet worked fine at first. We came back from dinner and I could not log on. I got a message saying something like "AP currently not in use. Internet connection too slow." The internet connection was strong. I checked the password. I had the tablet forget the wifi, then rejoin. No luck.

I went home, and now I cannot connect to my home wifi either. I get the same message.

1. How can I fix this?
2. Is there something I should do to prevent it from happening in the future?

This what work for me and this is for everyone that's having this ap problem on their mobile devices download WiFi fixer from the app store go to your WiFi advance setting and make sure is not on static connect to your WiFi using the app and this should fix it I had a week trying to find out what can fix this problem and today I found it. Like I said this for mobile and tablets I dont know if it will work for a laptop or desktop this is what works for me on my Galaxy s5 and it fix my problem I hope this can help ya also

Last edited by a moderator:

bristow2000

Feb 15, 2015
Visit site
I tried the
'On your phone, go to Settings, then Wifi.
Click on your WI-FI Network, then click forget.
Click on your WI-FI Network again. Click the 2 check boxes. Put in your password. Scroll down to where the option is either DHCP or Static.
Click on Static and enter your computer's IP address.
Click OK. A message came up saying that although i would be connected to my WiFi I may not be connected to the internet, which i was not.. however after a lot of internet searching and not finding any other solution i went back into settings, WiFi ect again and ONLY entered the below;
On your phone, go to Settings, then Wifi.
Click on your WI-FI Network, then click forget.
Click on your WI-FI Network again. Put in your password, It actually worked and connected me straight away..
Give it a try..hope it works for you :)

amoser

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site
I don't know about anyone else, but here's happened to my phone. So last night I updated my software for my Galaxy s4. I also signed up on an app called AT&T Smart WiFi because I figured why not. This morning, I began to have problems with my connection to my wifi. I tried all the things above to no avail. Finally I uninstalled the AT&T Smart WiFi app from my phone because 1) it's an annoying app anyway and 2) I figured that my problems started when I signed up on the app. After I uninstalled the app I rebooted my phone. My WiFi connected automatically with my saved password and identity after it came back on. If you have a WiFi app that "checks connections for you" and tries to "save your data plan" , either disable your account on the app or uninstall it. I'm sure other companies besides AT&T have these apps automatically downloaded to your phone. I'm not sure that will work for everyone, but it worked for me. Hope this helps

Moss Mansour

Mar 6, 2015
Visit site
I did this and it brought up a message saying something along the lines of "may not have internet connection but will connect anyway" (that was very adlibed by the way) so basically now it's just connecting and disconnecting. Any ideas?

Hello All. I had the same issue. Samsung S5. After ticking the "Smart Network Switch" check box, in the Wi-Fi settings which reads "Automatically Switch Between Wi-Fi and Mobile Networks To Maintain A Stable Internet Connection " Lol, on the contrary. It made my Wi-Fi connection constantly switch on and off. Then I remembered that I had done that and then unchecked the box and everything is "BEAUTIFUL" I suppose Samsung needs to come up with a patch. Any way I hope that could fix it for you. Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 13, 2015
Visit site
I had the exact problem with my Galaxy Tab S 8.4 LTE. I've tried everything that's been proposed to many sites.
You don't have to do any of them.
Just type *#0011# and you'll be directed to the service mode.
From the menu, check wifi and you will see "wifi power save mode"" uncheck that and you are ready to surf the net for ever.