Samsung Tab SM-T700 Longevity

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
I moved this from the Google Home forum to the Tab S forum.

I think Marshmallow still supports most major apps out there, but will probably start losing support over the next year or so. It doesn't mean the tablet will be completely unusable, but you'll probably start to notice more and more apps no longer being compatible. In that case, it'd be important not to uninstall any apps that are important to you, because if those apps have been updated to the point where they require Nougat or above, you won't be able to reinstall them. As long as you have the older version still on your tablet, it'll probably remain functional.

Jan 24, 2016
Visit site
Thanks for the quick response. My screen has a thin hairline crack in it and im considering purchasing a "like new" one. I understand it has never had the original os updated. I think it shipped with KIT KAT. If I purchase it, should I upgrade to Marshmallow?

B. Diddy

Senior Ambassador
Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Assuming it's not a carrier-branded Tab S, then it should get all of the appropriate system updates. If it is carrier-branded, then it might need to be on that carrier's network to get the official updates.

But if you want to continue using a Galaxy Tab S series device, then what about the Tab S5e, or the newer Tab S6 Lite? Reasonably priced, definitely more powerful than the original Tab S, and much more recent in terms of Android version.

pags11

Mar 5, 2019
Visit site
My Tab S is still alive and kicking. It obviously doesn't get software updates any longer, and the processor chip runs a bit slow...but I still am able to stream college football games on it and watch YouTube videos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pierre5463