Anyone thinking of getting one?

frag06

Jun 11, 2014
Visit site
I am weighing my options between an iPad Air, Tab S, and a Surface Pro 3.

I currently have an iPad Mini, but am looking for a bigger tablet now. I know the Surface 3 is the outlier, so realistically it's between the 2 tablets.

Posted via Android Central App

I have an iPad Air, which I've been thinking of selling. At 9.7 inches, it is a nice size. But I think I would like a smaller, Android tablet. It would suit my needs better at this point.

Anyone in the market for a lightly used iPad Air? ;)

The surface is Pro 3 is nice, but you would almost be better off buying a touchscreen laptop if you're going that route.

The Tab S is probably your best bet, unless you want an iPad. The Tab S has Samsung's Magazine UX, but at least it is Android.

Last edited:

jstplnfrank

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I have an iPad Air, which I've been thinking of selling. At 9.7 inches, it is a nice size. But I think I would like a smaller, Android tablet. It would suit my needs better at this point.

Anyone in the market for a lightly used iPad Air? ;)

The surface is Pro 3 is nice, but you would almost be better off buying a touchscreen laptop if you're going that route.

The Tab S is probably your best bet, unless you want an iPad. The Tab S has Samsung's Magazine UX, but at least it is Android.

Yes, I think the Tab S is going to work well for me. Selling my Retina iPad Mini, and an older iPad 2.
I was on the airplane a few hours ago thinking how multi window would be so cool while using my Mini...

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Went to Best Buy today and played with the new Tabs. I have never been a big fan of Sammys, but these are really nice! Trying to decide if I will stay with the more portable 8.4" or buy the Best Buy exclusive 10.5" 32GB.

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Went to Best Buy today and played with the new Tabs. I have never been a big fan of Sammys, but these are really nice! Trying to decide if I will stay with the more portable 8.4" or buy the Best Buy exclusive 10.5" 32GB.

I am getting the the Tab S 8.4 because it fits nicely in the inside breast pocket of my leather jackets. (where I used to carry my 7-inch Samsung tablets) The 8.4 also fits in the front pocket of my jeans. :)

SAMmarked1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Not to mention the ultra power saving mode- battery can go 24 hrs on every 10% you have. The key is like the phone it goes basic and does black and white

blujay40

May 6, 2014
Visit site
Pre ordered from Sears and it shipped tonight. Got the 10.5 as it is replacing the original tab 10.1 that is getting a little old at this point.
Sears was a way better deal than BB or Amazon because It came with the free book cover, free shipping, I had a few points (shop your way) hanging around which dropped it to 480.00 then got 104,000 points (104.00 store credit) so final cost was 376.00.

Although I despise the Magazine UI, the specs of the S 10.5 was enough to get me to pull the trigger. I will put Nova Launcher on it like I did with my Note 3, which made it much closer to the device I actually want.

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Pre ordered from Sears and it shipped tonight. Got the 10.5 as it is replacing the original tab 10.1 that is getting a little old at this point.
Sears was a way better deal than BB or Amazon because It came with the free book cover, free shipping, I had a few points (shop your way) hanging around which dropped it to 480.00 then got 104,000 points (104.00 store credit) so final cost was 376.00.

Although I despise the Magazine UI, the specs of the S 10.5 was enough to get me to pull the trigger. I will put Nova Launcher on it like I did with my Note 3, which made it much closer to the device I actually want.

I've put the Nova Launcher on every phone that I've ever owned. Moto G and Moto X, HTC Rezound, HTC One, Samsung Galaxy Nexus, S3, S5, Note II, Note 3, Tab 2 7.0, Tab 3, and soon Tab S 8.4. :) Can't imagine using Android devices without Nova Launcher! :)

Aredubu

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Seriously considered the 8.4, but had issues with the home button and my thumb, so I just ordered the 32 Gb 10.5. Can't go wrong either way.

Sent from my SGP512 using Tapatalk

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Seriously considered the 8.4, but had issues with the home button and my thumb, so I just ordered the 32 Gb 10.5. Can't go wrong either way.

Where did you order from? Did it come with free case as well?

- - - Updated - - -

Where did you order from? Did it come with free case as well?

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
Best Buy online. No case. I bought the case from Samsung's website.

buy the Tab S from Samsung's website and you'll get a free case....

I'm using a $400 gift card from the place I'm ordering the Tab S from, so no free case for me. :(

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
That's where I'm at as well, I have a $200 Best Buy gift card I want to use.

You can still get it tax-free... here's how I always did it when I get Best Buy gift card or RewardZone certificates.

Go into your local Best Buy store and use the $200 gift card to buy Amazon Kindle gift cards. They are usually hanging near the ebook reader section. They come in $25 or $50 cards. Best part is that you still earn Best Buy Rewardzone points for buying Amazon gift cards at Best Buy. :)

Log into your Amazon.com account and enter the gift card numbers. They are exact the same as regular Amazon gift cards(in fact, no difference in the eyes of Amazon) With $200 in Amazon gift card balance, you can order from Tiger Direct or Audio & Video Center. Free shipping and tax-free.

On a $500 tablet, you'll save up to $47 in sales tax. $47 is based on my state's sales tax rate... (legal disclaimer, just don't forget to report this on your state income tax for next year... hint, hint)

SAMmarked1

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting mine from Best Buy bc of accidental protection, I could order direct from samsung and get it way cheaper w my employee discount tho. I find the peace of mind I have with the ADP far surpasses the extra money I spend.

CarrierPigeon

Mar 13, 2014
Visit site
I'm getting mine from Best Buy bc of accidental protection, I could order direct from samsung and get it way cheaper w my employee discount tho. I find the peace of mind I have with the ADP far surpasses the extra money I spend.

Is Best Buy's plan better or cheaper than the SquareTrade plan?

SquareTrade:
Tab S 10.5 - $109 for 3-years with ADH
Tab S 8.4 - $93 for 3 years with ADH

I stopped buying Best Buy's plan after they replaced my damaged iPad 2 64GB/3G with a refurbished iPad 2. It took 3 days. When I went to pick it up at the Geek Squad counter, I was shocked. I opened the package there and the refurbished iPad looked like someone had been using it to play shuffle board. The backside looked like it was sanded with a coarse sandpaper. The screen had deep scratches. After 30 minutes of complaining bitterly, the Geek Squad reluctantly agreed to order another replacement for me. (while mumbling "it functions 100%... the cosmetics are not covered by the Geek Squad protection..." blah blah blah....

jstplnfrank

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
I just left Best Buy, this tablet is so thin! The weight is hard to judge because it's strapped to the anti theft cables etc.
It looks good, think I'm posting my iPad Mini on Swappa tonight!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using AC Forums mobile app