bought it from Amazon when it was on sale for $396, should I return it and buy the $599 VZW version?

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I bought my Tab S 10.5(white, 16gb) from Amazon last week. It was only $396 delivered(no tax, free shipping) because Amazon had it on sale.(sold and ships directly from Amazon.com)

I did realize that Verizon now has their own 4G LTE version of Tab S 10.5. It's $599. With tax and required activation fee, it will cost me at least $684, according to the VZW corporate store manager.

For the extra $288, I get the ability to use the Tab S 10.5 on VZW's 4G network. I'm wondering if it's worth it. I already get free hotspot tethering on my Verizon Galaxy S5. The only advantage is not needing to bring the phone when I want to access internet the Tab S 10.5.

If it were you, would you keep the $396 Tab S 10.5 or pay $288 extra to get the Verizon 4G LTE version?

Thanks!

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I bought my Tab S 10.5(white, 16gb) from Amazon last week. It was only $396 delivered(no tax, free shipping) because Amazon had it on sale.(sold and ships directly from Amazon.com)

I did realize that Verizon now has their own 4G LTE version of Tab S 10.5. It's $599. With tax and required activation fee, it will cost me at least $684, according to the VZW corporate store manager.

For the extra $288, I get the ability to use the Tab S 10.5 on VZW's 4G network. I'm wondering if it's worth it. I already get free hotspot tethering on my Verizon Galaxy S5. The only advantage is not needing to bring the phone when I want to access internet the Tab S 10.5.

If it were you, would you keep the $396 Tab S 10.5 or pay $288 extra to get the Verizon 4G LTE version?

Thanks!
I would keep it since you would also need to add it to your plan for another 10 bucks or so on the newer plans.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
I would keep it since you would also need to add it to your plan for another 10 bucks or so on the newer plans.

one thing that the Verizon corporate store manager told me was that the Verizon4G LTE Tab S 10.5 uses a "better" processor than the wifi-only Tab S 10.5. Is this true? I can't seem to find any info about this. :(

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
one thing that the Verizon corporate store manager told me was that the Verizon4G LTE Tab S 10.5 uses a "better" processor than the wifi-only Tab S 10.5. Is this true? I can't seem to find any info about this. :(
They use the Qualcomm snapdragon 800 cpu and while I personally think it's way better then the exynos cpu isn't worth spending $250+ more for it plus $10 a month for it

Daniel P1

Sep 13, 2014
Visit site

Thanks!
I would not pay that extra amount of money to use it on the Verizon network. But then again I am always indoor where wifi is always available.

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon model definitely runs better than the wifi models I've owned. Definitely a lot smoother.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
The Verizon model definitely runs better than the wifi models I've owned. Definitely a lot smoother.

I was afraid of getting that answer. I knew the Snapdragon was going to be much smoother than Samsung's own chip. :(

Now the $288 question is whether or not I want to spend the extra $288 to get the Verizon version. :) :)

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I was afraid of getting that answer. I knew the Snapdragon was going to be much smoother than Samsung's own chip. :(

Now the $288 question is whether or not I want to spend the extra $288 to get the Verizon version. :) :)
It does but I don't think it's worth $288 +$10 a month to add it to a data plan

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It is the extra data plan that would put me off. While it is not a ton of money, it is just one more monthly bill/charge on top of all the other bills and fees. I'm not sure that I notice some speed differences in processors.

Sometimes, obviously if would be nice to have standalone data access but that is your judgment call. How often.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
why do I need to pay $10 extra a month if I'm buying it at full retail price?

As mentioned, unless you have a special plan from Verizon, you have to pay a monthly fee to allow the Tab to get/use Verizon's data network. Data usage is not included in the price of the tab.

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
As mentioned, unless you have a special plan from Verizon, you have to pay a monthly fee to allow the Tab to get/use Verizon's data network. Data usage is not included in the price of the tab.

I meant that I don't have to keep it on Verizon if I"m buying it at the full retail $599 price. It will be used on wifi only, just like the wifi-only Tab S 10.5 Of course, I do have the option of putting it on my plan for $10/month if I need it that month... then take it off again.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I meant that I don't have to keep it on Verizon if I"m buying it at the full retail $599 price. It will be used on wifi only, just like the wifi-only Tab S 10.5 Of course, I do have the option of putting it on my plan for $10/month if I need it that month... then take it off again.
I still don't think it's worth it Imo I rather get the 32gb wifi model

32gb > snapdragon 800 cpu imo

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

05GT

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Nah. In this case, the processor actually makes the tablet a lot more enjoyable in all aspects.

Posted via the Android Central App

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Nah. In this case, the processor actually makes the tablet a lot more enjoyable in all aspects.

Posted via the Android Central App
Not for $300 basically... I'll take the extra capacity. The only way processor matters is for games Imo. Don't get me wrong I hate the exynos cpu but I rather have 32gb

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
Isn't the 8 core a sham basically? I have a hex core on my pc and 98 percent of the time 4 to 5 cores ain't doing squat. The only. The only time I max out the cores is doing audio video encoding. I don't think even games do it as it's the gpu that's doing the work. Probably the only time you max out the 8 cores is benchmarking

Anyway I think that's a great deal OP got on the Wi-Fi. I would keep it. But only you decide whether the 4g is worth it for you.

Closingracer

Banned
Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Isn't the 8 core a sham basically? I have a hex core on my pc and 98 percent of the time 4 to 5 cores ain't doing squat. The only. The only time I max out the cores is doing audio video encoding. I don't think even games do it as it's the gpu that's doing the work. Probably the only time you max out the 8 cores is benchmarking

Anyway I think that's a great deal OP got on the Wi-Fi. I would keep it. But only you decide whether the 4g is worth it for you.
It isn't a sham. The octa core cpu in this is 2 quad core cpus. One is clocked at 1.9 ghz and the other is 1.3 ghz. The 1.9 is an A15 cortex quad core and the other one is like an A6 cortex I believe. The 1.9 is used for bigger tasks and the 1.3 is for smaller light tasks

Touchpaddle

Sep 10, 2011
Visit site
It isn't a sham. The octa core cpu in this is 2 quad core cpus. One is clocked at 1.9 ghz and the other is 1.3 ghz. The 1.9 is an A15 cortex quad core and the other one is like an A6 cortex I believe. The 1.9 is used for bigger tasks and the 1.3 is for smaller light tasks

I wonder if someone has figure out a way to make everything run with only the 1.9 processors? :) Better yet, make all eight processor work at the same time. :)

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dominic Haar