Want to get a Tab S. But, first trying to decide which to go with, the 8.1 or the 10.5. But, the question for this thread is, Costco, currently, has the 16GB 10.5 for $429.99 ($499.99 @ Best Buy) and Best Buy has the 32GB for $549.99.
    is getting the 32GB worth the extra money?

Posted via Android Central App
    10-17-2014 02:00 PM
    Welcome to Android Central! Be aware that TouchWiz and all of the various Samsung preinstalled bloatware takes up about 7 GB of storage, so the 16 GB version only has 9 GB available to the user. Since app installation relies primarily on Internal Storage (rather than the external microSD card), then you might hit the limit quickly if you intend to install lots of large apps (like most complex games). See the review of the device here: Samsung Galaxy Tab S (8.4 And 10.5) Review: The Best Tablets You Can Buy Right Now
    10-17-2014 05:26 PM
    Yes, the 32GB is the better choice.
    10-17-2014 07:17 PM
    thanks for the responses. i have the s4, so i know how quickly the storage fills up. i was reading that apps can be installed on to the SD card on the Tabs. is that not the case?

Posted via Android Central App
    10-17-2014 10:36 PM
    You should be able to move apps to the SD card, but keep in mind that this does not move the entire app--only a portion of it. And based on the relatively high number of posts on this forum about SD issues with Samsung devices in general, I'm not sure how much I'd want to rely on the SD card.
    10-18-2014 12:37 AM
    You should be able to move apps to the SD card, but keep in mind that this does not move the entire app--only a portion of it. And based on the relatively high number of posts on this forum about SD issues with Samsung devices in general, I'm not sure how much I'd want to rely on the SD card.
    I've been doing a lot of research on storing apps on the SD card and have found conflicting answers. I understand that moving apps from internal storage to the card will move only data files. But can you install apps directly from the Play Store to the card without using internal storage at all?

This is a make-or-break answer for me because for some reason, here in Canada the Tab S only comes with 16gb. If I can't get a 32gb or find a workaround like this I'm going to have to consider other brands.
    10-18-2014 07:30 AM
    My understanding is that apps need to be installed to Internal Storage first; then they can be moved to the SD. To my knowledge, you can't download and install directly to an external SD card.
    dynot likes this.
    10-18-2014 10:21 AM
    On my Tab 4 8.0 SOME apps will install directly from the Play Store to the external SD, others I have to move manually. But, as stated above, only a portion of the app will reside on the external SD and the balance will be on internal storage, how much depends on the app and developer.
    dynot likes this.
    10-18-2014 11:10 AM
    But are those apps truly downloading and installing directly to SD, or are they actually downloading first to Internal Storage, then automatically being moved to SD during the installation process? If Internal Storage is very low, this would mean those apps would still have problems installing. I don't know the definitive answer, but I suspect the app still has to go through Internal Storage.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    10-18-2014 01:20 PM
    PM me if you're interested in the 32gb model. I am actually selling mine on ebay and is in perfect condition. I have the box and a book cover and a 64gb SanDisk micro SD card all for whats less then the full retail price of buyin it new

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    10-18-2014 02:32 PM
    PM me if you're interested in the 32gb model. I am actually selling mine on ebay and is in perfect condition. I have the box and a book cover and a 64gb SanDisk micro SD card all for whats less then the full retail price of buyin it new

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
    just bought the 10.5, but thinking of getting the 8.4 to see if I like it better. I am finding the 10.5 a little cumbersome to use in landscape and portrait view while laying down.

Posted via the Android Central App
    10-18-2014 07:29 PM
    But are those apps truly downloading and installing directly to SD, or are they actually downloading first to Internal Storage, then automatically being moved to SD during the installation process? If Internal Storage is very low, this would mean those apps would still have problems installing. I don't know the definitive answer, but I suspect the app still has to go through Internal Storage.

Posted via Android Central App.
    Please excuse any typos or autocorrect derps.
    Yes, they move after download during installation, and some move a very small percentage to the external card, however, being able to store media, my documents, etc. on the external SD card makes a huge difference. I currently have 103 downloaded apps and have 6.7 gig of internal storage available on a 16 gig device. 32 would be minimum for my needs if no micro SD, but 16 is fine with one, and SD cards are cheap. One does still need to do a little housekeeping now and again.
    10-19-2014 09:28 AM
    Absolutely - go for the 32!

There's a reason the 16 is cheaper - you fill it up too fast.

BTW, on the new 10.5 32gb you can actually send installs to your sd card! Also, the new 10.5 will take a 128gb sd card!!

Go for the 32 gb!

P.S. I am totally loving mine!
    10-20-2014 06:04 AM
    Absolutely - go for the 32!

There's a reason the 16 is cheaper - you fill it up too fast.

BTW, on the new 10.5 32gb you can actually send installs to your sd card! Also, the new 10.5 will take a 128gb sd card!!

Go for the 32 gb!

P.S. I am totally loving mine!
    Thanks for the input!

10-22-2014 11:28 PM
    I originally bought the 16 but dealing with the space issue was too much. This was my 4th tablet and I've never had a problem with running out of space. I had no idea the Simpsons took up so much space! Even setting up the apps to store on the sd card didn't solve the problem. I ended up buying the 32, selling the 16 on eBay and have never regretted it.
    10-23-2014 07:20 AM
    Please tell me how to set up my tab S 32g to install directly to my SD card. I can't find any instructions for this.

10-27-2014 05:23 PM
    Please tell me how to set up my tab S 32g to install directly to my SD card. I can't find any instructions for this.

I am not sure that you can directly install to the EXTERNAL card. In some cases I have found instructions for SOME apps to move them or their data to the external card.

Let's see if anyone has better information.
    10-27-2014 05:47 PM
    I am finding it difficult to locate a 32gb 4G tablet and thus am wondering if I would be able to get by with the 16gb model.
    I am not a gamer.
    Apps I use would be limited to email, calendar, GPS (CoPilot Live) Google Chrome , a movie viewer, music player
    Mostly the device would be used for internet browsing, email and watching movies stored on the SD card.
    Do you think I would run into problems with shortage of memory if I buy the 16Gb model.

Cheers
    12-10-2014 11:18 PM
    If you aren't storing much on the internal memory then 16gb is fine

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 4
    12-11-2014 12:47 AM
    Thanks dpham00
    12-11-2014 01:04 AM