Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5 or Note Pro 12.2?

Havekk

Mar 18, 2010
Visit site
Really depends on what you're looking for in a tab. I really hate when people bring up specs and make a decision based on that alone. I will say, if you get a tab s, go for the lte from sprint or Verizon so you get the snapdragon model. If you do so, it has the same chip as the 12.2. For me, I mostly watch netflix, history app, YouTube, etc. If media comsumption is what you're looking for, go with the tab s 10.5. The super amoled screen can't be beat. It's absolutely gorgeous. I had a note 10.1 with the super clear lcd that's on the 12.2 and although good, it does not compare to the tab s 10.5 super amoled. The blacks on super amoled are pure black, as compared to the grayish black you get from and lcd. Also, the 12.2 along with the note 10.1 I had came with major light bleed, which us just something thato comes with lcd technology. It's not an issue with amoled. I don't do a ton of heavy gaming, but the adreno 330 (In the lte 10.5 and 12.2) is more then capable for anany game on the store. Runs everything I've thrown at it with ease. Both choices will be good, but you really have to see the screenew on the 10.5. It's sick.

satchmo1012

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Great question. My first Android tablet was the Motorola Xoom WiFi only version. I really enjoyed it, but as it's a few years old, I wanted to upgrade to a newer tablet to take advantage of the better screen and newer Android OS version.

Last month, I purchased the Galaxy Note Pro 12.2 from Amazon. At first I really loved it. But then I started to have issues of flickering screen and then battery charging issues (I have a post in the 12.2 forum but can't link to it since I have fewer than 10 posts). I plan on returning it to Amazon after Christmas (as it was a Christmas gift for myself).

Now, I am trying to decide whether to try my luck with another 12.2 or go for the Tab S 10.5. I was even considering the Nexus 9 but I see it's had some issues as well. I'm leaning towards trying another 12.2 as I still have until January 31, 2015 to return Christmas gifts to Amazon. If the next 12.2 has issues, then I would go for the Tab S 10.5

Side note, buying through Amazon is my preferred choice. They are very good with returns. When I bought my Xoom, it was supposed to be a US version, but it would up being a different version instead (I forget which country). I learned this when they upgraded the Android OS and I didn't get it. It turned out the US version got the upgrade while other countries did not. Anyway, they took it back with no issue.

dgprakash

Mar 16, 2013
Visit site
Tab s hands down. .the screen is absolutely awesome. See for yourself side by side at a local best buy store

I too was thinking if i should return the tab s for a tab pro which wad like 60%of the price of the tab s. But when i saw the screens side by side it was a no brainer to keep my tab s. Everything and i mean everything looks better on it.

Posted via Android Central App

George Collins1

May 6, 2014
Visit site
I compared the screens of the Note 12 and the Tab S 10.5. The screen on the Tab S is noticeably clearer/sharper. I got the Tab S (but I also have a Note 4, so can rely on it for my pen work.)

Posted via the Android Central App

satchmo1012

Dec 16, 2014
Visit site
Very interesting replies. I wouldn't have thought there would be such a notable difference considering the specs seem very close. After years with my Xoom, I was very impressed by the Note Pro 12.2 screen. I guess I'll have to check them out side by side as well.

Thanks all!

shastrich2005

Oct 17, 2011
Visit site
When I compared them side by side, the Tab S had a much more vibrant, crisper screen. The Pro also had some lag to me. ...could have been the one I tried specifically. Couldn't justify the price of the Pro so I went with the Tab S and the Samsung keyboard and it's my favorite tablet to date! Amazing! Sidesync is awesome.

sid5427

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Sorry for digging up this old post, but I have a question within this context. I am a PhD students and read quite a lot of technical books and research papers. I had a Galaxy Note 10.1 (n8000) which unfortunately conked off recently so I am in need of a new tablet.
So in terms of using a tablet as a reading device, which one would you guys suggest or prefer ? Note pro 12.2 or Tab S 10.5 ?

barth2

Dec 19, 2013
Visit site
For technical books I imagine you want the biggest size possible to mimic a full size book. With 12" I think you will come close if you zoom in a little to crop out margin. The display is excellent, if not as pretty with colors as the OLED.

The S is great for media consumption, but for school and work and reading technical books (I'm guessing a lot of pdfs) I'd go with the 12" pro.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Sorry for digging up this old post, but I have a question within this context. I am a PhD students and read quite a lot of technical books and research papers. I had a Galaxy Note 10.1 (n8000) which unfortunately conked off recently so I am in need of a new tablet.
So in terms of using a tablet as a reading device, which one would you guys suggest or prefer ? Note pro 12.2 or Tab S 10.5 ?

You might also want to consider weight and how you will read. I find even the 10.5 wants to pivot when held freehand and takes some effort to control and hold upright, even in landscape mode. I have more control when it is in an easel type case where I can hold the case.

sid5427

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
None - Stay away from Samsung - The wifi stinks

I don't think so ... I had a Galaxy S2 and Note 10.1(N8000). Both had solid wifi performance.

To others ..
Thanks for your opinions, I agree I am inclined towards the Note Pro 12.2, largely due its screen size for reading. I read somewhere its almost the size of an A4 sheet.
"Pretty pictures" are not much of an issue, I checked out both devices in walmart, I generally didn't see much difference for the apps and items I looked at.

But then two things are an issue for me - The price, almost $200 than the Tab s 10.5, but I guess the Screen size and note features justify the increase.
The other, is that when will it get an Android 5.0 update - Any eta on that ?

PlanetPluto7

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I have both but go to my phone or Nexus 7 for reading lying down. I prefer the 12.2 for just about anything. The Tab does only have 16Gb so it has limited usefulness; even with a large exsd card.
If you will be doing any office work or pc replacement get the 12.2. The Tab is cheaper; just don't get the 16GB model. Screens are about the same even though the 12.2 has a lower dot per inch.