"USB connector connected" but doesn't charge

Align3d

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
When I plug in the lead to charge my galaxy tab s 10.5, it simply says "USB connector connected" but doesn't charge, it charged briefly earlier in the day, but has only said "USB connector connected" since that time.

It hasn't been dropped and hasn't had contact with any water, restarting it does nothing and there's nothing visibly wrong inside the USB port of the tablet, but I haven't poked anything in there, or tried to force the connector in, all I have done is wiggled it lightly, as that normally fixes the problem on my phone.

I can't try anything on the tablet itself, as the battery has run itself down and died.

I've tried different leads (official samsung ones) which are known working, used different known working chargers, wall sockets and PC/laptop USB ports, but nothing works.

It's not a visual glitch like I've seen on my phone, as the battery level never went up with it plugged in, it only went down

My PC/laptop doesn't recognise it as a tablet, but the tablet knows it's plugged in as it comes up with the "USB connector connected" when I plug the other end into the computer

It must get some power through, it can detect itself being plugged in, as plugging it in with no power on the other end produces no message.

I don't have a spare battery, though replacing it seems very easy if I can find the repair kit and spare battery in the UK without shipping them from the US.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
You are using the official WALL charger and getting this message? And getting with a series of other usb cables and other chargers? Sounds as if the charging port might be the problem.

Where do you see that message? In a prompt type box? I only see the "battery and bolt (or whatever)" and plugged in.

Align3d

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
Yes, the one straight out of the box as well as aftermarket chargers/leads

It briefly appears in the top of the screen just saying "USB connector connected" and it will come up in the notification area (the slide down menu) briefly, before going away, and if I disconnect the USB connector, it will say "USB connector connected"

I have a tool kit on its way to me and a spare battery, just in case it turns out to be the battery, but it's several days away at best.

The tablet is genuine, bought from a high street retailer.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, the one straight out of the box as well as aftermarket chargers/leads

It briefly appears in the top of the screen just saying "USB connector connected" and it will come up in the notification area (the slide down menu) briefly, before going away, and if I disconnect the USB connector, it will say "USB connector connected"

I have a tool kit on its way to me and a spare battery, just in case it turns out to be the battery, but it's several days away at best.

The tablet is genuine, bought from a high street retailer.

Then don't you have a warranty? Well, good luck with it. Mine is downstairs "broadcasting" to my tv. Is there any setting in Connections that allows one to maybe connect but not charge? When I connect my BB phone to my computer there's a prompt about generally about charge only, storage access and something else.

Align3d

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
It has a warranty, but the battery is an easy replacement for something samsung/the store would charge a lot of money and take several days to do, if it is the cause of the problem.

I can't check the settings on the tablet, as it's out of battery, but it seems to get power from the charger, yet doesn't charge the battery at the same time.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you have a warranty that would be the route I take. although, if they will take a lot of time to repair it for free, maybe doing it yourself makes sense. I've not opened mine up so I don't know what's in there.

good luck

Align3d

Apr 7, 2015
Visit site
There was a small connector that was loose, took off the other connectors and put them back on, but still no luck, still waiting on a battery to come