Moving files on to the tablet

AndroidNewby

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
I'm going to a reunion soon so I am scanning in old (embarrassing??) photos on my desktop PC. I want to get these photos on to the Samsung tablet so I can show them when there is no wi fi or 3G connection.
How do I do that, please?
I have installed Dropbox on the tablet, but I can't find out how to get the photos from Dropbox 'into the tablet memory' to meet the requirement stated earlier.

Many thanks
AndroidNewbie

SpookDroid

Ambassador
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you're using the Dropbox app, unfortunately, you can't do this in 'batches'. You need to do it one by one. You go into the picture you want to save to your device, tap the menu button and select EXPORT. There should be an option saying SAVE TO DEVICE there.

You can also copy all the files to your tablet from your computer if you have them there already. Just plug your tablet via USB or 'push' them via WiFi using apps like PushBullet.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I have recently discovered DUKTO. It has apps or programs for various platforms including the Tab (well, generic Android) and Windows and even a Blackberry app.

It is fairly rudimentary but you can send/move text over wifi including just some text you type, text in the clipboard and even entire files. You do have to navigate to the file locations (not drag and drop). But I've been using it to copy videos I've downloaded to my computer to the Tab S and it can do multiple files at one time. Once on the Tab S, you can move them around as you wish. You do have to have Dukto front and center (active) on the tab.

USB does allow more control over where files land and you can use Win Explorer to send them to specific locations easily.

Have fun embarrassing all those folks. :D

Re: PushBullet, do you have to register with their site or is it standalone between your personal devices?

AndroidNewby

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Duh! USB, eh? I'd convinced myself that there wasn't a USB port (despite charging the tablet each day!) because, in my mind, I was thinking of the big end of a USB cable, not the mini-USB end. A word of advice - don't get old; it does your brain in.
So thanks to you and F2. I've plugged it into a PC USB port and just copied them into the Images folder within 'MyFiles' on the tablet using Windows Explorer. Works fine.
I'll have a look at the WiFi method when I have a bit of time.
Many thanks
AndroidNewbie
PS : Thanks for the tip about Dropbox. I was baffled by how to extract files to the tablet.
PPS : Most of us at the reunion have not met for 40+ years. Should be possible to embarrass someone with these old photos!

Crashdamage

Jan 18, 2015
Visit site
Just a note for anyone reading this thread...
FolderSync will download and keep in sync photos or other files from Dropbox, Google Drive and other cloud storage services.

Just specify the local folder(s) and remote folder(s) to sync and it will download (or upload) the entire folder. No need to do a clumsy file by file download.

Then there's a number of options you can choose sick as set a schedule if desired, connection options like WiFi only etc etc.

Really a handy app.

https://forums.androidcentral.com/e....tacit.android.foldersync.full&token=YW7k8amH

Android since v1.0. Linux user since 2001.

FF22

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Duh! USB, eh? I'd convinced myself that there wasn't a USB port (despite charging the tablet each day!) because, in my mind, I was thinking of the big end of a USB cable, not the mini-USB end. A word of advice - don't get old; it does your brain in.
So thanks to you and F2. I've plugged it into a PC USB port and just copied them into the Images folder within 'MyFiles' on the tablet using Windows Explorer. Works fine.
I'll have a look at the WiFi method when I have a bit of time.
Many thanks
AndroidNewbie
PS : Thanks for the tip about Dropbox. I was baffled by how to extract files to the tablet.
PPS : Most of us at the reunion have not met for 40+ years. Should be possible to embarrass someone with these old photos!

I do understand the GRAY MATTER aspect of things. I can assure you that any reunion I go to will be an even greater number!!!!!

And one more clarification as long as we are doing it. The port is more than just a USB port. With the proper dongle/adapter it can send output to an hdmi input on a tv, etc. It is an mhl port. And with yet another adapter it a usb thumb drive can be attached for usb OTG (on the go).

AndroidNewby

Mar 3, 2014
Visit site
Red faces all round! We all met via the Boy Scouts between 50 and 55 years ago, so huge numbers of photos of us all in shorts. Cue loud laughter from everyone, including all the spouses who looked suitably bemused at the 'Hey, do you remember . . . ' stories.
Thanks to everyone for your help in making my day go so well.
AndroidNewbie.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LesleyWang