File Downloads Not Working (Dropbox, Chrome, Dolphin)

Primo16

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi, first post here relatively new android user.I have a brand new tab s 10.5 and I am unable to download any files to the device. I will outline the scenarios that occurred when I attempted to download files.

*Note* the device is rooted however this occurred before the root. I just figured I was doing something wrong regarding the download steps for an android device; seeing as I am new to this OS.

Using Chrome - I held my finger on the image until the menu came up and clicked save image, a box at the bottom of my screen pops up and gives me an option to click documents, I then have to select where I want the file saved. Once I choose the location I get the lollipop on screen notification saying "Downloading" and the arrow appears in the top bar but does not have the download animation where it looks like the arrow is pointing down signifying the download is happening. I bring down the notification window and it says "Image%3A2506" and under that "Download Failed"

Using Dolphin - I did all the above steps to download the file. Using the same image. Not very familiar with Dolphin but i proceeded to the downloads section of the browser and saw that "Failed" in red letters was listed next to my download. I click the down arrow beside the download bar for more information and it says "Download unsuccessful - Cannot finish download. There is not enough space"

Using Dropbox to export a doc to my device - I attempt to export a doc file from Dropbox and I get the message "Error exorting <doc name>"

From the results of the Dolphin browser test, I am assuming this is the insufficient space problem that iv been reading about but I do not have any problems download apps from the app store and have 6GB left of internal space left and an empty 16GB memory card installed. I have tried clearing every cache imaginable lol.

I cant really find anything on the web that is specific to my device regading this problem and everything I do find seems to be 2-3 years old with people using the default browser and is fixed by switching to Chrome or Dolphin, however since Dropbox does not work as well I am just out of ideas and pulling my hair out because this is driving me nuts :( I just like every aspect of my device to work 100% :)

Please help!! Sorry if I detailed obvious steps; found very little recent information about this and wanted to outline everything I could!

Thanks!!!!:):):)

mstrblueskys

Q&A Team
Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
It could be trying to download to the external storage. Switch it to default to the internal storage? Or try it the other way around and switch it to the SD card.

It seems to me my HTC phone had that problem for a hot minute. I'm not sure I did anything to fix it though. Maybe check your wifi settings. Reboot the phone. Clear the data and cache from the apps you're using to download the picture.

Try some of that and report back!

Primo16

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Tried most of that already. Tried it again anyway and it did not work :(
Thanks for the quick reply btw
I purchased this tablet yesterday which is why the insufficient space problem is so perplexing; if that is even the issue.
Any other ideas?

Edit: I feel it has something to do with the download path. I checked and it is going to the default download folder but I really do not know. If I am getting insufficient space error then it must be going some where that is full (right?). I dont know enough about android to make any sort of conclusions about the download location. Maybe it is attempted to save it to a full system partition or something like that.

Last edited:

Primo16

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
Well long story short - I ended up bricking my device trying to install stock firmware (I think that is what I was doing) and fixed it by restoring it using Kies and it fixed the downloading problem. I am assuming I deleted some system app that was related to downloads... now I know... Do not go so ham with deleting system apps cause DAM that took me all day lol