Can I get some help with a battery drain?

JamesyJim

Apr 15, 2015
Visit site
Battery drain

Hi
I've had my tab s 10.5 for nearly 9 months now and haven't had an issue until now. I was skyping a friend with the battery at 100% when we began our conversation, and within 40 minutes it was nearly dead. But when i went to charge it again, the battery was at 75% within a few minutes. This has continued with everything I do on the tablet now, and is not just a skype app issue. It drains when I browse on the web or while watching a video. It's never been dropped and is always in a case and I use the original Samsung charger. Do I just need to get the battery replaced?
Thanks

Rukbat

Retired Moderator
Feb 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: Battery drain

Sounds like a dendrite in the battery. Look at Lithium Battery Dendrite links to learn more than you want to know about the problem. The industry is doing all they can to solve it (it costs Chevy about $5,000 if the battery in an electric car goes bad under warranty, so there are some big companies spending a lot of money to find a fix), but there's nothing yet. The only current "fix" is to replace the battery.

Also, try to never let it drop below 40%, except during the initial conditioning - that tends to prolong it. See The Care and Feeding of Lithium Polymer Batteries.

Trigati

Sep 26, 2011
Visit site

Hi
I've had my tab s 10.5 for nearly 9 months now and haven't had an issue until now. I was skyping a friend with the battery at 100% when we began our conversation, and within 40 minutes it was nearly dead. But when i went to charge it again, the battery was at 75% within a few minutes. This has continued with everything I do on the tablet now, and is not just a skype app issue. It drains when I browse on the web or while watching a video. It's never been dropped and is always in a case and I use the original Samsung charger. Do I just need to get the battery replaced?
Thanks

Do you have Firefox installed? I noticed the battery on my tablet was draining pretty fast even when not in use (the battery would last *maybe* 2 days with hardly any use, a couple of hours if I watched a video), and it turned out Firefox was causing the issue. After I uninstalled, the battery life went up to a week.

drol343

Apr 8, 2015
Visit site

I have had the same problem since L5 upgrades.

Also, still having the Micro Card reader fail... again since the L5 upgrades.