Sluggish wi-fi speed on Tab S 8.4

hsbridge

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
I'm a long-time PC user, but I'm new to Android tablets. I just purchased the Galaxy Tab S 8.4 and so far I'm very pleased with the look and feel, however the wi-fi transfer rates for the device on our Verizon DSL home network are pretty poor. My 2 laptop computers have decent speed, but the new Samsung Tab takes forever to download apps and magazines and tends to drop the signal. Our modem/router is a Versalink Westell 7500 which supports 802.11 B/G but does not support 802.11N and I wondered if that is the problem. When I check the signal strength on the Tab S it reports "very strong" with a link speed of 11 Mbps and the Tab's specs say that it supports 802.11 B/G/N but wonder if we should upgrade the modem/router. I took the tablet to the local library and it was very speedy...which it should be on their T-1 line...so the problem doesn't seem to be with the tablet. If it's not a DSL modem/router issue the only other choice we have for data service in our rural area is Cox Cable. Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Helen

Last edited:

STARGATE

Ambassador
Oct 8, 2012
Visit site
I recommend to try it on other WiFi home networks (a friend's house for example) to see how it behaves.

You could also reboot it and than try it.

Sent From Another Galaxy